Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
wxyzabc
England
Protecting wrists

As a follow on to my recent posting concerning wrist pain it seems I am not alone and this appears to be one of the most common injuries out there....

I was interested to see a few people talking about "learning to look after wrists....protecting wrists during training" etc

Would these people and anyone else be able able to offer advice as to what actions can be taken during training etc to lessen the risk of wrist injury?.....many many thanks in advance

Lee
Old 07-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada
Re: Protecting wrists

Hi Lee:
My advice: Practice with reasonable people, pat out when it starts to hurt, extend ki, relax completely. Mark your wrist when it needs a rest. Warm up, then stretch before you start. Approach beginners learning the wrist techniques with caution!
e ya later
Jill N
Old 07-05-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao

I think I have good wrists, few people can make me tap out of sankyo or nikyo easily if they put the pressure on gradually (snapping shows a lack of skill and compassion..MUHAHAHAHHA). What I do is to perform the wrist exercises at least once a day a few minutes. I also force myself past my pain treshold gradually, don't rush..you'll hurt yourself. I injured myself like that, but when u know how much you can take, you will see improvements. Oh and don't resist! Follow him/her. But don't fake it either, he/she must work for your tap-out!

Regards,

KH
Old 07-05-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

If it's a serious concern, you can tap out of a pin early.

Personally, when someone gets the technique on me, I know they have it, i don't need to wait untill it becomes painful to see that they've performed it correctly.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 07-06-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
Ian Williams

I have bought myself a bandage from the chemist (drug store I think you call them over the bigpond) which I have had to wear for a number of weeks after a particularly nasty wrist lock was applied too fast and too hard on me when I was not expecting it...

It seems that some degree of wrist pain is quite common amongst my fellow students...

some of the warm ups we do in JJJ include wrist twists and wrist crushes (applied as a stretch) to try and limber up our wrists.. some consideration for Uke when applying the techniques doesn't go astray but oh well, some people are gung-ho

Last edited by Ian Williams : 07-06-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:28 AM   #6
JoHo
Dojo: Shobukan Wien

my simple experience is
first know your own limitations well, how far you can go
and second hope that the nage will do the techniques well. not with brute forces but help you to overcome your limitations and get more flexibility.
later on you can enjoy speedy techniques much more )
Old 07-06-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

We had a class today working mainly with wrists and that was my first experience with real wrist pain. OUCH!!! What I found to be very helpful is to ask your partner to perform slowly. That way you can feel the pain raising and you have enough time to tap at the moment you think it's appropriate. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Quote:
That way you can feel the pain raising and you have enough time to tap at the moment you think it's appropriate.
Hmm, I find nikkyo a difficult one to do that with. The pain is often instant. Especially if it is a beginner doing the technique.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 07-07-2004, 02:04 AM   #9
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

A bit of wisdom I've heard: don't tap when it hurts, tap when you sense it's /about/ to start hurting.