Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
FXMisha
United_States
Urban story or reality

First, I would have to give you a little story. I grew up in one of the small Baltic countries that used to be part of USSR and most of you probably remember how USSR used to spend tons of money on their army to protect its delusional idea of communism.

My dad used to work for one of the branches of KGB and I used to attend some of the MA lessons he and his co-workers were taken. What it was is very Old Russian martial art dated back to the 10th century -- very opened minded with no limitations to it. This MA was not available to public, only to elite forces and a simplified version of it to other governmental bodies.

There is this one guy who was training the most elite forces in Russian army (Vympel, Sobr, Alfa -- you probably can Google it up), lots of urban stories (?) were circulating about their MA techniques and their ability to neutralize the opponent without even touching him.

Well, in 1991, USSR collapsed and country falls into a "deep hole" where government was not able to control their people and its secrets. That is when mafia "kicked in" and everything from natural resources, human intelligence, and nuclear weaponry to martial arts became available "for sale".

This mystery guy also needed to make a leaving and he along with his student started to teach this technique to the public. He is not the one who invented this, but he is the one who organized it and made it available to "outside" world.

Reading about this, I found that it is somewhat similar to aikido, where the whole idea is about blending with the opponent and foreseeing future moves and stopping them before they happen. If you read about it also talks a lot about breathing and being relaxed, I can relate to aikido in many aspects…

I just though this something unique that most people don't know about and wanted to share this with you guys.

Below are some videos showing this guy and his technique. Feel free to share what you think.

1) http://www.russianmartialart.com/cat...%20strikes.wmv

at the end the guy looks like he is on drugs

2) http://www.russianmartialart.com/cat...clips/S.D..wmv

this one when he neutralizes his opponent without touching him. Is he for real or what?

3) http://www.russianmartialart.com/cat...clips/L.A..wmv

few demonstrations at the LA Aiki Expo 2005. Very interesting punching technique.

4) This is one I liked the best - http://www.russianmartialart.com/cat...%20f-work1.wmv

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
FXMisha
United_States
Re: Urban story or reality

If video don't work, please refer to this link:

http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?page=clips

and watch clips # 1, 4, 6 and 14 to relate to the clips I was linking to in my original post.

Sorry about this inconvenience.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I've played with one systema trained guy, and been hit by one or two others. Their strikes are what I'd call "penetrating and bone shaking" from very little apparent force or windup. On the ground they were very relaxed and it was extremely hard to get position on them...they seem to have drills just for frustrating that kind of thing. Standing up they are just as evasive...trying to lock and throw the one guy was extremely difficult.

Just my read from a tiny bit of exposure.

Oh, as for the history of this art...I buy it to the same extent I buy the complete Daito ryu history...it makes a nice story, but how much is true vs how much someone figured sounds good...I have no clue, and don't particularly care.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 11-10-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
FXMisha
United_States

Well, if you note, I am not really commenting on how true it is, but rather on its uniqueness and effectiveness. It has to be effective for its own purpose, coming from a background this guy is, there is no room for dramatists, and it appeared to serve those who learned it in combats.

This post is not to distract people from aikido, but rather to show a different perspective on martial arts. I personally have no desire studying it because I have no use for it -- Aikido serves me (or is it the opposite?) just fine for what I need.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
po_courcelles

Dojo: Agatsu Aikido de Montréal
Canada

I've seen some systema videos around, there are a few on aikido journal as well.

Like Ron said, it really looks evasive...people seems to be bendable like Gumby (you know the little green figurine?).

However, in the videos you just linked, i think that big buy is using brute force and, IMHO, the "I-rub-your-chest-in-a-circle" kokyu-like throw is pure bull****... Gonna have to have it performed on me to believe it!

I do believe it comes from Soviet's close combat training...why not? Maybe the way it is demonstrated (marketed) is questionnable though.

You guys know Krav Maga? I heard that comes frome Israel's secret service. Reaaaally not "Aiki" but interresting to know about

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
--- Albert Einstein