Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #1
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Exclamation The Master Concept-Perception and Reality

Hey Folks,

I recently read an interesting story in the book "Aikido and Randori: Reconciliation of two opposing forces" by Scott Allbright regarding an encounter with M. Ueshiba and Hideo Obha (9th Dan).

Apparently Obha was taking ukemi for M. Ueshiba at a demonstration in Manchuria. Obha, having heard the tales of Ueshiba's prowess, regarded Ueshiba as a "true master" (his words) and decided that since this were so, Ueshiba could handle some really full force attacks, from which Obha would have been only too happy to take falls. Holding high dan rank in Judo (as well as a few other budo), the falls were no problem for him I guess.

So Obha proceeded to attack O-Sensei with some really quick, dedicated attacks, providing ample energy to be redirected. It appeared however, that Ueshiba was having some difficulty in controlling and executing his technique as cleanly as he usually did with other Uke.

At the end of the demonstration Obha was surprised to find that Ueshiba was very unpleased at his performance, scolding him with words like "you idiot" (his words) even before they got back to their seats. It appeared that Obha's idea to attack Ueshiba with full force backfired. The reaction to their performance in the demo changed the view Obha had of Ueshiba as a "master" as he mistakenly thought that by coming out in full force against Ueshiba it would have given the old man a chance to really show his stuff as an Aikido master.

Interestingly enough the demo was very very well received, to the point where a renowned practitioner of the naginata came up and personally expressed his pleasure to Ueshiba of seeing techniques executed with such quality.

So what do you think? Personally I love it when I get a reality check.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Larry,

This attitude of training with strong attacks that give the tori a problem they have to solve is what we strive for within the Jiyushinkai. Of course this is done with appropriate levels of force, speed, and rhythm for the level of training that is desired. At yondan and above, we often work with full speed/force jabs and punches to the face and body. Kicks of any kind are also welcomed.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 11-09-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
So Obha proceeded to attack O-Sensei with some really quick, dedicated attacks, providing ample energy to be redirected. It appeared however, that Ueshiba was having some difficulty in controlling and executing his technique as cleanly as he usually did with other Uke.
really? , as far as i know once you give everything you got during an attack, its easier for nage to do techniques on uke.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Quote:
Reza Kauzar (sanosuke) wrote:
really? , as far as i know once you give everything you got during an attack, its easier for nage to do techniques on uke.
On paper, I agree to a point. Now factor human behavior (fear, over-confidence, panic, aggressiveness, etc.) and the ink starts to blur.

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
sanosuke
Indonesia
perhaps you're right, Philip. happens sometimes during my jiyu-waza, actually.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:48 AM   #6
Chris Birke
The best defense against Aikido technique is knowing Aikido technique. If you want to mess someone up, it's not hard. Try throwing feings, then actually commit a kick to the leg and clench for judo...

This doesn't mean Aikido is bad or impractical, it's just reality. If someone is expecting committed attacks of a certain kind, delivering something different will disrupt them.

The theory of good ki goes, you will be ready for any attack because you expect none in particular. Is everyone's expirence always this? Perhaps not. We all have bad days, I suspect, even O Sensei.

On a different note, giving all you have to an attack, and giving all you have are different. If I put all my power behind a punch, I've left behind my brain. I would never throw a single reverse punch to the head and expect a magical knock out (except perhaps my own). In most fights, punches and kicks are only a means of finding distance and studying the footing of my opponent before I clench. If I were to truely use all power against an aikido practicioner, I would throw one fake committed punch and then clench. That's neither here nor there though.

If one truely resists Aikido with a knowledge of grappling, Aikido does not become easier. I've concluded this from testing. Do you disagree? Have others had different expirences?
Old 11-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
L. Camejo

Canada
Good replies so far.

Chuck, we are presently working with a similar idea, though with attacking options still a bit limited, but we are building to the "any attack" mode, then onto the "any attack with resistance" mode.

Chris, from my experience you are correct. A person who knows Aikido technique or is accustomed to the resistance based practice of Judo randori can easily make things difficult for Aikido techs to be executed. To me, this is the wake up call I get that defines the line between kata and free play.

Personally, this is the cue to raise my level of Aikido to meet the challenge. Which brings me to another question, which is somewhat related to Ueshiba M.'s reaction in the story - Does the compliance-oriented nature of Aikido kata practice alone entice one to get into a mindset where Uke "is obliged" to help us look good by going with technique, thus causing us to not be mentally (sometimes physically) prepared for the fluidity and unexpectedness of some attacks?

Also, had you any of us been in Ohba's (spelling check) place, how would you have felt? I have sometimes seen cases where Uke feel as if they did something wrong when attacking their Sensei honestly and end up "putting them on the spot" so to speak, forcing their Sensei to up the level of their technique.

Rambling thoughts at the moment I guess, but what do you folks think?

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 11-10-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Would be nice to know why Ueshiba thought Obha was an idiot. I have found, like others, that more forceful attacks are more easily dealy with. However sometimes the uke really takes a beating if the attacks are very forceful (very hard or sudden drops of really penetrating atemi). Maybe Ueshiba was actually worried about hurting him.

I have no doubt that Ueshiba was a fantastic martial artist and was quite capable of killing most challengers. Whether he could defend himself from everone without damaging them is another question.

Unfortunately the hierarchical structure of martial arts tends to result in good martial artists being given excessive undue praise, and any critics being castigated. Anyone who thinks Ueshiba was not fallible is dellusional (my apologies to John Stevens :-)). Although I think when Ueshiba referred to himself and others as 'unbeatable' he was really referring to the spiritual sense (i.e. understanding that there is no real enemy, and life and death are the same).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Dealing with difficult ukes is a topic of Saotome's Oyo Henka-points of resistance are delt with in a practical manner. You take the energy were it is easiest to go.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #10
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
I can understand during practice that uke may and should attack with honesty. That is the nature of practice.

But during a demonstation, is it not better to attack honestly but harmoniously? A demonstration is usually done to gather interest.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #11
Chuck Clark

United_States
Depends on who the demonstration is for... for instance, a demo for a group of interested beginners should, in my opinion, have a part that "inspires" them and a part that shows them what they can expect in the beginning of practice.

I prefer to demonstrate the best quality I can do during embu. Anything less would be disrespectful to my art, my teachers, and whomever happens to be observing.

The word "harmoniously" is extremely difficult to define. I personally want my uke to be trying to give me a problem to solve so that the waza has very strong katachi.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 11-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #12
Esteban Martinez
Dojo: Shoshinkan Dojo
If this story is true, I can imagine why O Sensei got upset with Oba Sensei's attack. First of all they were at an Aikido demonstration, the purpose was to show Aikido technique to a public, not to show that O Sensei was a master. Demonstrations are perfomed differently that a technique in the real world. You want your expectators to see the dynamic of Aikido, its harmony between uke and nage as well as the whole technique.

Taking ukemi for Toyoda sensei during a demonstration (class or public) was a moment of full awareness and complete blending and understanding of Sensei's technique and energy. Unlike O Sensei, Toyoda Sensei wouldn't call you idiot in that situation, he would instead slap you in the face as he threw you in an iriminage. It was one of his favorite techniques, and it was awesome to experience.

Aikido demonstrations are not coreograhed, but a mutual understanding of nage an uke is a most. That's what I try to develop with the ukes I use to demonstrate.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2003, 07:39 PM   #13
Lone Swordsman

Dojo: Academy of Martial Arts Yoseikan
I have to say, while I'm extremely new to aikido, I prefer it when someone attacks me with full intensity. It shows commitment to the art. Not only that, it helps remind me that in a real fight my reaction could mean the difference between sweating a bit, injury, and/or death.

Yes, the purpose of a demonstration is indeed to show off a particular art, not test the particpants. But in theory a good martial artist can cope with the unexpected.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:04 AM   #14
L. Camejo

Canada
Good points.

Honestly though, I don't think that Ohba was trying to "test" O-Sensei per se, but may have been working with the same tenets indicated on this thread. He wanted to give dedicated attacks to make things easier for O-sensei (by providing ample energy) to really show off the Aikido techniques, but this demo was before a lot of very skilled martial artists as well (who would easily detect fake attacks), and so I think Ohba may have gone a little over the edge with the intensity of the attacks. Nothing worse than half-baked attacks in a demo... or training for that matter.

I agree with Chuck, if the attack does not provide a problem for Tori to solve, why even react to it? This is something I experience often with folks from striking arts who have been programmed to pull their punches before impact.

I think Ohba, understanding what would help make the techs look exceptionally good (being both an exceptional striker, breakfaller and aikidoka) tried a bit too hard to make it look too good. I mean, many of us know how a person may go flying into orbit when giving a really committed attack with no resistance. Even with my instructor, during demos I would attack as quickly and powerfully as possible being confident enough in my ukemi ability to take anything that would come my way. The result would be a very beautiful, but realistic looking technique, done at full power.

Ian has a very good point about O-Sensei not wanting to damage his Uke. IT is possible that O-Sensei did not feel confident that Ohba could take ukemi from his techniques at full force.

Alternatively though, is it possible that Ohba overestimated O-Sensei's abilities on this particular day? We are all human, and this was at a time when O-Sensei was getting on in age I think. We all have our bad days.

Good points all around. Relating to Esteban's point on "harmony between uke and nage" - should the skilled Aikidoka not be able to create harmony out of an "unharmonious" attacking uke? Isn't that what Aikido is all about? Having the skill and control to restore harmony out of conflict?

Just some thoughts. What are yours.

Domo.

L.C.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:28 AM   #15
aiki_what
"aiki_what"
IP Hash: 61e548ec
Anonymous User
It's funny...reading this thread made me think of the disparity between WWF style wrestling and the "no holds barred" type of events involving bjj and mma (and no, I don't want to start a discussion over which is better or more realistic).

On the one end of the spectrum you have a contrived event involving hihgly skilled, technical practitioners with a rehearsed and stipulated outcome. Is there some ad lib going on? sure! but standardized attacks and choreagraphed movements.....just like professional wrestling.

On the other extreme you have a controlled, chaotic event that rewards aggression, a willingness to inflict pain, physical conditioning and endurance....Can one lucky punch/throw/choke provide a victory? sure, but yu still better be prepared before you step into the ring.

Does Anyone else find the two extremes of this continuum interesting?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:47 AM   #16
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
"A person who knows Aikido technique or is accustomed to the resistance based practice of Judo randori can easily make things difficult for Aikido techs to be executed"

Larry: I worked out with a judo group one time and they had trouble getting past the unbendable arm to throw me unless I let them. They kept telling me to relax-I said I was but why should I let them in my red zone? Just different perspectives (I was pretty green at the time) but I thought there was little point in letting someone throw me without breaking my balance first (i.e., just come in and load me up).
Old 11-11-2003, 08:36 AM   #17
L. Camejo

Canada
I agree perfectly John.

I guess when I made the post I was thinking particularly of folks like Ohba who are both highly skilled in Aikido and Judo, so are accustomed to the kuzushi techniques of both systems (and their counters), combined with intimate knowledge of the peculiarities of Aikido techs as well. My bad, will descrie better next time .

I also train with a Judo group pretty regularly and have the same situation, whenever I use Aikido technique/principles they cannot resist the techinque (this is in resistance based randori though). But this is because they don't understand the workings of the technique yet to nullify it it with proper tai sabaki and resistance imho. Also it depends on who gets the better balance break and how soon.

I have found however, that it is pretty difficult to disrupt the balance of some judoka and get off any technique (Aikido or Judo) if they are in "competition mode" (i.e. adamant not to go down), balance breaking alone is difficult, much less application of waza. This also applies to Aikido competitition (resistance randori) training as well - if you know how to position and keep your balance as an Uke, life for Tori gets rather difficult.

Just a few thoughts.

L.C.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #18
Esteban Martinez
Dojo: Shoshinkan Dojo
Quote:
Relating to Esteban's point on "harmony between uke and nage" - should the skilled Aikidoka not be able to create harmony out of an "unharmonious" attacking uke? Isn't that what Aikido is all about? Having the skill and control to restore harmony out of conflict?
Larry - Definately a skilled aikidoka should be able to control an unharmonious attacker. The story does not say O sensei was not able to do so. He did, but it did not look the way he wanted to show the technique.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #19
sanosuke
Indonesia
yes, it's all about the audience. in demonstration we should look beautiful as the goal is to gather interest, so the cooperation from uke is somewhat important. although i'm a bit disagree of this as fully committed attacks can also be neutralized beautifully. i haven't seen the demo but i think O'sensei was furious because neutralizing Oba's attack might forced him to be 'violent', in which he didn't want to.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #20
Logan Heinrichs
Dojo: Wagokan
I just got done with a seminar from Yamane Sensei, in which he told us to allow the Uke's energy to show you which technique to perform. Granted, this can't really be done while practicing a specific technique, but in a real situation that is the mindset that you want to have. You can't choose the technique before you recieve the attack. I have given a few small demonstrations, and usually the demonstrator has a number of techniqes that he/she wants to show. If you are being attacked with full force you might need to resort to letting the ukes energy choose the technique in order for any techniqe to work. If osensei wanted to demonstrate certain techniques, it could prove more difficult with too much energy. Perhaps that is why osensei's techniques weren't up to par.

One doesn't see things as they are, he sees them as he is.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:49 AM   #21
L. Camejo

Canada
Reza and Logan - Very good points. Makes perfect sense too.

We also train by allowing the situation to reveal the appropriate technique somewhat. But it makes sense that even though adaptation may bring out a particular technique based on the energy/direction of the attack, it may not be what the demonstrator wants to show on the day.

My only reference for this demo is what I read in the book. I have no personal reference as to its authenticity, but it was an interesting story, and one I had not heard of before, hence the reason I brought it up.

At the same time though, I think its realy a good test of one's mettle and technical ability to be able to adapt to the energy of the technique and still keep things looking pretty. Generally when we do resistance tanto randori things work, but beauty in technique comes off every once in a while. But it gives one a goal to strive for I guess.

Alternatively, does not aiki training teach us at some level to be in a position where we are in control before the attack is even launched? I.e. placing Uke in a position where his attack options are limited based on Tori's body positioning, ma ai and subtle movements.

In my experience this is seen often, especially during resistance randori where we may want to set up a particular attack so we can do what works best for us from that situation. Personally I have done this both in Aikido training and sparring against judoka and Tae Kwon Do folks, leading Uke to attack how you want them to in a sense, thereby allowing you to do the technique you want.

I guess its the yin/yang of Aikido again, allowing the attack to tell you how to respond on one hand, and you positioning to invite a particular attack, one that you have already prepared a response for, on the other end of the spectrum.

Any thoughts?

L.C.

Last edited by L. Camejo : 11-12-2003 at 07:52 AM.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:26 AM   #22
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
L.C.,

I have heard a different version of the story. My source is Jack Mumpower who trained with Oba in the late 50's and early 60's. His source of course was Oba.

Ueshiba hand picked Oba to be his uke on the trip to Manchuria. Oba had been training for serveral years with Tomiki and Ueshiba and was very skilled by this time. As you mentioned Oba was also very skilled in a number of other arts.

Ueshiba wished to demonstrate the harmonious nature of Aikido at this demonstration using large flowing motions. There was a cocktail party prior to the demo. During the party Oba talked with a number of the folks present who were military and police officers. He realized that they wouldn't understand nor appreciate what Ueshiba planned to demonstrate.

Not wanting his teacher to look bad he made the decision to attack harder and more realistic than orginally planned. According to Oba, Ueshiba had zero problem handling any of the attacks. However, due to the nature of the attacks Ueshiba was unable to use the larger flowing type motions he had planned to demonstrate and had to use the smaller, crisper motions he learned from Takeda.

Indeed the demonstration was a big success and folks in attendance were amazed. Yes, Ueshiba was apparently very upset with Oba since he couldn't show what he had wanted. The fact that the demonstration was well received didn't matter, Oba was in the dog house.

I wasn't there, nor did I know Oba or Ueshiba personally so I can't say which version is correct. Enjoy.

mark

Take care,

Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
Old 11-12-2003, 08:47 AM   #23
Chuck Clark

United_States
Hi Mark,

This version of the story is very similar to what I've heard from a couple of people that were close to Ohba Sensei for many years.

It makes lots of sense to me. I suspect that Ueshiba M. was just as upset because a junior made a decision like this on his own.

I sure would like to have seen the demo.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 11-12-2003, 09:02 AM   #24
Kensho Furuya
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
From what I have heard about this episode, it was a very difficult situation for O'Sensei at the time. His audience was mainly military people, of whom many were high ranking Judoists. If O'Sensei demonstrated that Aikido was superior to Judo, he would have made the Judoists present, very proud military people, lose face. Of course, if he showed that Aikido lost, he would have defeated the purpose of trying to promote his art. It was a total no-win situation and this had frustrated O'Sensei very much. In those days, such matters as "face," and "honor" were held so importantly and this created such a delicate situation.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:03 AM   #25
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Chuck Clark wrote: "I sure would like to have seen the demo."

I have the same wish , I bet it was something else behold. To bad HandyCam's weren't around back then. I bet it would be a rock'n video.

mark j.

Take care,

Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com

Please visit our sponsor:

The Aikido of Shin-Budo Kai - A new book profiles Shizuo Imaizumi Sensei and the practice of SBK Aikido