Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Krystal Locke
United_States
Does this practice have a name?

Sometimes, we chain techniques together through maintaining contact and control during uke's ukemi. We connect shiho nage into a back roll (nage keeping contact with uke's controlled arm through the roll) then, as uke stands up out of the roll, flow into kotegaeshi into a back roll in which nage stays on uke's affected wrist with the nage's "secondary" hand, and nage uses that controlled arm to move into irimi nage.

Does this practice have a name I am forgetting, and better yet, anyone have a video of this and other technique chains?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Does this practice have a name?

Kanren: linking (?)

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Sometimes, we chain techniques together through maintaining contact and control during uke's ukemi. We connect shiho nage into a back roll (nage keeping contact with uke's controlled arm through the roll) then, as uke stands up out of the roll, flow into kotegaeshi into a back roll in which nage stays on uke's affected wrist with the nage's "secondary" hand, and nage uses that controlled arm to move into irimi nage.

Does this practice have a name I am forgetting, and better yet, anyone have a video of this and other technique chains?
Hi Kystal,

no idea what this series is called, but we occasionally do the same with the last technique being ikkyo, good practice, whatever the name.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post

Hi , Krystal,
Renrakuwaza. cheers, Joe.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

I think that you'd call it a variation of Henka waza, or changing from one technique to another
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
gtaba
Dojo: Riverside Aikikai
United_States

Without breaking the initial contact? I've heard it called Renzoku, linking the ikkyo, to the kotegaishi, etc...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

It's a fun practice, but I'm suspicious of it. I got into it with a black belt from another dojo at a gasshuku last year, kotegaishi to nikkyo to irimi to kaiten-nage. Fun, but the truth is if he hadn't been getting his center back at the end of each technique, he'd never have been able to attack well enough to motivate the next technique. Since then, I've been working more on the "one cut/one kill" end of the spectrum.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi , Krystal,
Renrakuwaza. cheers, Joe.
Or renzoku waza. The meaning is almost the same, I would say. Renraku waza translates as a continuation of techniques. While renzoku waza means a group or serie of techniques.

Both are used in Aikido for a sequence of techniques. Although I remember a conversation with a Judo teacher who pointed out to me that there is supposed to be a subtle difference between renzoku waza and renraku waza.
Renraku waza would then be more a combination of two or more techniques, while renzoku waza would be a series, a sequence of techniques.
But I have never heard any of my Aikido sensei make that distinction.

kind regards,

Tom
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Toby Kasavan wrote: View Post
I think that you'd call it a variation of Henka waza, or changing from one technique to another
Henka means change or alternation. What you change is the form of the technique because your partner is resisting, or trying to counter or because there is another attacker (etc). In other words, the situation changes and so you change the technique.

If the change of situation leads you to another technique then I suppose you could say that it is henka waza, but more precise would be renraku waza (or renzoku waza).

Best,

Tom
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Or renzoku waza. The meaning is almost the same, I would say. Renraku waza translates as a continuation of techniques. While renzoku waza means a group or serie of techniques.

Both are used in Aikido for a sequence of techniques. Although I remember a conversation with a Judo teacher who pointed out to me that there is supposed to be a subtle difference between renzoku waza and renraku waza.
Renraku waza would then be more a combination of two or more techniques, while renzoku waza would be a series, a sequence of techniques.
But I have never heard any of my Aikido sensei make that distinction.

kind regards,

Tom
Hi Tom,
My initial contact with the phrase renrakuwaza was in my judo days circa 1960.It was used primarily as an indication of linking attacks /combining waza.I may well be wrong here but Saito Sensei in Jo work used the term rensokuwaza in relation to his jo movements.I think perhaps the terms are /have similar meaning.Cheers, Joe.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Tom,
My initial contact with the phrase renrakuwaza was in my judo days circa 1960.It was used primarily as an indication of linking attacks /combining waza.I may well be wrong here but Saito Sensei in Jo work used the term rensokuwaza in relation to his jo movements.I think perhaps the terms are /have similar meaning.Cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe,
You are right, that is what I meant. I do not have that much experience with Judo. At that time I was teaching Aikido at this Judoschool and after class I often had discussions with the judo-teacher about the similarities and differences between Judo and Aikido, and I remember that this point came up. He had some wonderful drawings on the wall that showed the difference between renraku - and renzoku waza. You are also right about rensoku waza in relation to Aiki Jo; linking one technique after the other. There, I feel, is the difference between renraku waza and renzoku waza even more a blur.

Perhaps we do not use the distinction between renraku waza and renzoku waza so much in Aikido, as it does not in a didactic sense really clarifies things, but rather complicates matters?

Greetings from the Auvergne,
Tom