Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
abraxis

United_States
Do you have a vision for the future of Aikido?

This thread is an open invitation for aikidoka to contribute to a shared vision statement for aikido's future. If you wish, make your contribution as brief, as personal, or as local as you wish. E.g. say what you would like to see yourself doing in your own dojo in the years ahead. Or, be global and include what you would like to see in aikido dojos around the globe for many years to come. If you want training of a particular kind to be added or emphasized or eliminated include that. If your hope is for aikido to change it's ranking system, blend different styles, create a more competitive atmosphere or return to an earlier way of doing things feel free to suggest those things as you see fit. If your vision is for a more spiritual or religious path in aikido's future please make that your statement or a part of it as well.

While it is preferable to state a vision for the future in positive and even inspirational terms you may choose to include statements about things or activities you would like to see changed or excluded. However, please try to avoid a negative emphasis or a negative outlook for the future of aikido as much as you possibly can.

Again, your recommendation can be as brief as you like or as lengthy as this forum will permit. Below are a few links that might be helpful.

http://www.nsba.org/sbot/toolkit/cav.html
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/bus...nstatement.htm
http://www.skills2lead.com/sample-vi...tatements.html
http://www.timethoughts.com/goalsett...statements.htm
http://www.best-of-time-management.c...-statement.htm

Last edited by abraxis : 05-29-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Do you have a vision for the future of Aikido?

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
This thread is an open invitation for aikidoka to contribute to a shared vision statement for aikido's future. If you wish, make your contribution as brief, as personal, or as local as you wish. E.g. say what you would like to see yourself doing in your own dojo in the years ahead. Or, be global and include what you would like to see in aikido dojos around the globe for many years to come. If you want training of a particular kind to be added or emphasized or eliminated include that. If your hope is for aikido to change it's ranking system, blend different styles, create a more competitive atmosphere or return to an earlier way of doing things feel free to suggest those things as you see fit. If your vision is for a more spiritual or religious path in aikido's future please make that your statement or a part of it as well.

While it is preferable to state a vision for the future in positive and even inspirational terms you may choose to include statements about things or activities you would like to see changed or excluded. However, please try to avoid a negative emphasis or a negative outlook for the future of aikido as much as you possibly can.

Again, your recommendation can be as brief as you like or as lengthy as this forum will permit. Below are a few links that might be helpful.

http://www.nsba.org/sbot/toolkit/cav.html
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/bus...nstatement.htm
http://www.skills2lead.com/sample-vi...tatements.html
http://www.timethoughts.com/goalsett...statements.htm
http://www.best-of-time-management.c...-statement.htm
Yes, a nice simplistic one. People of the Aikido community and especially organizations understanding the principles of Aikido better and when that happens then they will create a more harmonious vision and scene.

Regards.G.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
abraxis

United_States

Some vision statements collected at http://www.skills2lead.com/sample-vi...tatements.html

Avon:
To be the company that best understands and satisfies the product, service and self-fulfillment needs of women - globally.

Honda
1970: We will destroy Yamaha
Current: To Be a Company that Our Shareholders, Customers and Society Want

Nike
1960s: Crush Adidas
Current: To Bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Yes, a nice simplistic one. People of the Aikido community and especially organizations understanding the principles of Aikido better and when that happens then they will create a more harmonious vision and scene.
Regards.G.
G.-
Was typing when you posted, your statement is quite positive and inspirational--unlike the early Honda and Nike statements.
-RT
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
abraxis

United_States

Then there's this as a reason behind this thread...

"Where there is no vision, the people perish."
~Proverbs 29:1
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I have a vison of Aikido as I undertstand it. That Ron and I will continue to train together and with our students until we pass.
That we will continue to grow and learn about ourselves and this art.
Mary
Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I have a vison of Aikido as I undertstand it. That Ron and I will continue to train together and with our students until we pass.
That we will continue to grow and learn about ourselves and this art.
Mary
May you do so with great joy for many decades to come.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Then there's this as a reason behind this thread...

"Where there is no vision, the people perish."
~Proverbs 29:1
If their life depends on aikido, I expect they do.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
abraxis

United_States

Found in the thread: "Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?"

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
...ASU, some of Imaizuma's people, Shirata's people, Birankai teachers, Shihan in the USAF, Ki society, Daito ryu people, four different Koryu and ICMA, joining with MMA people...and all chasing one thing...Were not inventing a new training, we are in hot pursuit of an old one that actually worked...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
abraxis

United_States

Found in the Column: "Legacy and the Founder"

...."It must be our firm resolution to then carry on the ongoing search for the real and complete O Sensei and his legacy. Perhaps in this way, we can inspire and encourage successive generations to do the same when their time comes due." Francis Takahashi, 01-21-2011
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
abraxis

United_States

Found in the column: Economy

"Let's work together to do something unprecedented in human history. Let's make our lifetimes the time when everything changed, and everything got better." Ross Robertson, 01-21-2011
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
lbb
United_States

Are those your visions, Rudy?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Which ones do you mean, Mary?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

Yes, I have a vision for "my" future in aikido, to keep practicing.

I have no vision for aikido collectively.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Yes, I have a vision for "my" future in aikido, to keep practicing...
Thanks for your reply, Lynn. To "keep practicing" is positive and future oriented just as a vision statement should be and it is a truly great example of brevity as well. It is made even more relevant to me at this very moment as tornado cells have been passing through our area and we rarely see any tornado activity.

Enjoy your practice,

Rudy
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Lynn. To "keep practicing" is positive and future oriented just as a vision statement should be and it is a truly great example of brevity as well. It is made even more relevant to me at this very moment as tornado cells have been passing through our area and we rarely see any tornado activity. Enjoy your practice, Rudy
The morning after the above reply to Lynn Seiser's post finds tragedy in many communities throughout western Massachusetts with more than a few places looking like they've been devastated by war.

I still don't know yet how our dojo did but it was very close to the path of one of the tornadoes if not actually in it. Fortunately, I think, there weren't classes scheduled yesterday evening when atmospheric conditions in the area went berserk.

With this recent experience in mind, and following the lead of many others who have expressed vision statements either for their own personal futures or the future of aikido globally, I"m thinking my own personal vision statement is likely to be:

To keep practicing in peace and harmony with my environment and the people around me.

Best regards,

R.Ternbach

Last edited by abraxis : 06-02-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
jester

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Yes, I have a vision for "my" future in aikido, to keep practicing.

I have no vision for aikido collectively.
Well said!
-
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
DH
United_States

Quote:
The morning after the above reply to Lynn Seiser's post finds tragedy in many communities throughout western Massachusetts with more than a few places looking like they've been devastated by war.

I still don't know yet how our dojo did but it was very close to the path of one of the tornadoes if not actually in it. Fortunately, I think, there weren't classes scheduled yesterday evening when atmospheric conditions in the area went berserk.

With this recent experience in mind, and following the lead of many others who have expressed vision statements either for their own personal futures or the future of aikido globally, I"m thinking my own personal vision statement is likely to be:

To keep practicing in peace and harmony with my environment and the people around me.

Best regards,

R.Ternbach
I pm'd Mary Eastland this morning. It appears they formed after her area and lifted six miles before my door step.
Dan
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
I pm'd Mary Eastland this morning. It appears they formed after her area and lifted six miles before my door step.
Dan
Thanks for the check in. I'm glad to hear that you two are safe and very sorry to hear about those not so fortunate.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Dan
See what happens when you extend ki?
Seriously....glad folks are ok....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Mary,

To better answer your question, now that I've thought a little bit more about it, my vision is:

To keep practicing in peace and harmony with my environment and the people around me in a way which promotes a brighter future for Aikido globally.

Regards,

R.Ternbach
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

aikido vision -

now: to crush MMA with the help of Seagal
future (after crushed MMA or folks tired of MMA and Seagal): to show the world that aikido is a true budo with loving protection, harmonious, and other stuffs.
further future, which is the future after the previous future past: to crush and annihilate the various reality TV shows (aren't we suppose to get away from reality when we watch TV. if we want reality, we would have focus on our lives.)

please join me to promote such vision of aikido
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
abraxis

United_States
Exclamation RDo you have a vision for the future of Aikido?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
aikido vision -

future (after crushed MMA or folks tired of MMA and Seagal): to show the world that aikido is a true budo with loving protection, harmonious, and other stuffs.
further future, which is the future after the previous future past: to crush and annihilate the various reality TV shows (aren't we suppose to get away from reality when we watch TV. if we want reality, we would have focus on our lives.)

ROFLMFAO

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CE0Q9QEwBQ

Last edited by abraxis : 06-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
jester

United_States

Can we please crush the reality TV shows first???

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
aikido vision -