Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Marko Ilic
Confused Some technique...

I was wandering when I saw some yellow belts do some technique. They said that the technique was Iriminage but it looked nothing like Iriminage to me. I can only tell you how its don from Katatetori (right hand grabing right hand). You start by tenkan-ing away and putting your hand on his neck at the same time. And then instead of doing a "clothesline: kind of throw you just pull uke down.
Does anyone know if this is really Iriminage.

Thanks,
Marko
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Some technique...

It may be that they call the technique Iriminage even though it's different from what youcall Iriminage.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Japanese Technique names are not well defined.
With the little I have seen of Japan, different places use the same names for different things and different names for the same things.

It is even worse once you include us foreigners who have no understanding of Japanese, and apply those names...

Amir
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi,

If I get it right position is not (gyaku hanmi) katate dori but ai hanmi katate dori? (right hand grabs right hand) Many styles use "katate dori" for left hand grabs right hand.

And it is not only tenkan but irimi tenkan? nage does one step forward and then turns, left hand on ukes neck.

And then cuts uke down. (It's not pulling.)

If that is correct, the technique ist called "ushiro kiri otoshi" or aswell "chokusen irimi nage". The third form of irimi nage:

En no irimi: irimi nage with tenkan, irimi nage ura
Sankaku no irimi: steps like in tenchi nage, irimi nage omote
Chokusen no irimi: irimi nage on direct line, ushiro kiri otoshi

Carsten
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
patf
United_States

We do a version which sounds very similar though we call it a Kokyunage variation.
In my understanding an arm must enter towards Uke's head/neck (on the final throw) to be classified as irimi-nage.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

Quote:
I was wandering when I saw some yellow belts do some technique. They said that the technique was Iriminage but it looked nothing like Iriminage to me.
That's normal. When I wander around the mat what the yellow belts are doing doesn't normally look like what they're meant to be doing either

In Ki Society dojos there's a quite common form of iriminage similar to the ushiro kiri otoshi that Carsten described - although they'd probably call it something like katate kosadori ushiro irimi kokyunage rather than iriminage.

The iriminage [lit: Entering Throw] name comes from the entering movement of the body to take the balance and make the throw, a 'clothesline' movement isn't needed. Ironically this 'taking the balance with the body' part is often the most neglected.

Train well,

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Marko Ilic

And it is not only tenkan but irimi tenkan? nage does one step forward and then turns, left hand on ukes neck.

Carsten[/quote]

This is the ai hanmi katatetori.we do it like this:first you tenkan to uke's back and put your left hand on your uke's head simultaneously. Next you bring uke's head to your shoulder and then do the clothesline kinda throwing with a step inward.

But this other Iriminage follows the same principles as the one above but instead of doing the clothesline you cut him down. The pin is putting uke's arm on your knee (you're in a half standing position) and pull his arm down like you're gonna break it and choke the uke with the other arm.

Thanks anyway.

P.S. I dunno how to quote.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

I was taught this as an iriminage variation (you are entering, its an irimi, regardless of the tenkan) and have seen it taught at dojos from various styles.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Isn't it that Irimi Nage is instead a collection of techniques instead of a single one? I mean, all of these are Irimi Nage for me:

* [Shomen] Irimi Nage Omote / Mukae Daoshi: Sankaku Irimi,
* [Shomen] Irimi Nage Ura: En no Irimi,
* Ushiro Kiri Otoshi / Ushiro Kata Otoshi: Chokusen no Irimi,
* Shokumen Irimi Nage / Ura Mukae Daoshi,
* Obi Otoshi,
* Shomen Ate / Ago Ate Nage: Chokusen no Irimi,
* Gedan Ate / Do Gaeshi: Chokusen no Irimi,
* Aiki Otoshi / Sukui Nage,
* Aiki Nage,
* etc...

Most probably I'm wrong, though...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
patf
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I was taught this as an iriminage variation (you are entering, its an irimi, regardless of the tenkan) and have seen it taught at dojos from various styles.
Surely there are a multitude of kokyunage that involve entering but are not classed as irimi nage. It seems to me that the part of irimi nage that irimi refers to is not the entering, rather the finishing. For example sokumen-irimi nage can be done without the initial entering, from Yokumen strike, nage blends with striking arm while stepping back, bringing uke parallel to nage and breaking balance, and then entering across uke's face with free arm in the form of sai-yu-undo.

Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Mark Stokmans
Dojo: Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Marko Ilic wrote: But this other Iriminage follows the same principles as the one above but instead of doing the clothesline you cut him down. The pin is putting uke's arm on your knee (you're in a half standing position) and pull his arm down like you're gonna break it and choke the uke with the other arm.
This sounds more like kubijime than irimi nage.

Last edited by Mark Stokmans : 12-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Wouldn't any technique where you enter and throw be classified as irmi nage? It could be kokyu nage too (for example) but generally being called one thing doesn't negate it from also being another....y'know:-).

Russ
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Marko Ilic wrote: View Post
The pin is putting uke's arm on your knee (you're in a half standing position) and pull his arm down like you're gonna break it and choke the uke with the other arm.
Ok, you made it clear.

The pin, you describe is the regular finish of every form of irimi nage (if you finish it with a pin) as it is taught in our Aikido Tradition. It is most used in tanto dori, jo dori and tachi dori.
But you can also use it in tachi waza tai jutsu. In suwari waza the position of nage is kneeling, not half standing. And the pin is done on the inner leg.

The technique you decribe is called "ushiro kiri otoshi". We seldom use it from ai hanmi. More often we do it from ushiro katate dori or chudan tsuki.

I cited the three regular forms of irimi nage above. chokusen irimi nage or just irimi nage is not frequently used as name of this technique. It is an elder term. You can find it in books with Shirata Rinjiro (John Stevens).

In our aikido there is one form of this technique where it is not called ushiro kiri otoshi but irimi nage. You can see it in this video - which doesn't show our line of aikido but this form of irimi nage - at 0:35.

Carsten
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Greetings,

Ushiro Kubi Gatame is what I have known it to be called.

Train well,

Mickey
Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Marko Ilic

I did a similar(same) technique now in suwari-waza from ryotetori. It starts by nage twisting (?) his hands and doing a tenchinage kind of throwing. The pin is to put one arm on your knee (more exactly one elbow) and leaning on the uke's other shoulder. Is this THE TECHNIQUE ?

Thank you
Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Peter Bowyer

The way I understand it is that Iriminage simply means 'entering throw' so regardless how uke is thrown, you still entered (irimi) and threw (nage). It's a variation.

Also, wouldn't right hand grabbing right hand be kosadori (crosshand grab)?

When you bow deeply to the Universe, it bows back. - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Peter Bowyer wrote: View Post
Also, wouldn't right hand grabbing right hand be kosadori (crosshand grab)?
Again, it depends on your school. We will say dosokutedori.