Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Ken Cottier Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2008-06-06 06:31:10 by Jason Bird
News URL: http://www.aikidojournal.com/?id=4921

I have been shocked today to find out that Sensei Ken Cottier is in the latter stages of Lung Cancer and is in a Hospice in Clatterbridge in Cheshire England, near his home. If you follow the link for more info you can pass your best wishes on to Sensei Cottier and his family (Editor's addition: or you can also leave your best wishes in the thread accompanying this news item).

Thank you, Jason Bird

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
Re: Ken Cottier Sensei in Latter Stages of Lung Cancer

Very sad, I spoke with his family yesterday and it is a very serious situation.

Ken has been a friend for perhaps 30 years and is one of the unsung Aikido giants.

Away from the mat a true gentleman and friend with a wonderful sense of humour, a joy and love for life and one of the kindest men you would wish to meet.

If you never met him you really missed something special.

My thoughts and love are with his family.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

I had the pleasure of being introduced to Ken at the 50 years of Aikido bash in Crystal Palace by my instructor Michael Narey.

He has always spoken very highly of Sensei Cottier and has asked me to pass on his best wishes

Daren Sims
National Aikido Federation
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
akiy

My thoughts are with him, his family, and loved ones.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

I first met Cottier Shihan here in the Philippines in the 90s when he conducted several aikido classes.

He was very happy when I showed him my copy of the book "What is Aikido" by Koichi Tohei because he was the Uke of Tohei Sensei in the cover of the book.

I was expecting to see him in Singapore a few months ago during the 20th Anniversary Celebration of Aikido Shinju-kai but he begged off at the last minute for health reasons.

Aikido Philippines extends its best wishes to Cottier Shihan.

mel miel
www.aikido-philippines.com
Old 06-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
AsimHanif

My thoughts and prayers go out to Sensei and his family.
I sincerely hope that 'we' put more money and effort into cancer research. It is so wide spread that it touches us all.

Asim
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

I'm so very sad to read this.

I had to unexpected privilege of attending a seminar he offered at Suginami Aikikai in San Francisco a few years back. Both his teaching and his presence were inspirational.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Raul Roldan
Dojo: Aikikai NSW
Australia

I had the pleasure of meeting Ken Cottier Sensei in Melbourne in early 2006. He is an inspiration and injected a lot of humor in the way he conveyed his teaching. My thoughts and prayers to Sensei and his family.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
BritishAikido@ntlworld.
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

I am truly sorry to hear of this sad news of Kens health. I first met Ken in Liverpool on a seminar in the early 1960's . Williams Sensei
and I had been invited to teach by a well known Judoka Ken Wainwright. This may have been Kens first Aikido class ? he stood out from the rest, he was such a funny guy making brilliant impersonations including Kenshiro Abbe Sensei. I last met Ken when he was a guest at our Kenshiro Abbe 50th Celebration in 2005.
My thoughts and prayers are with Ken and his family in what is a
most difficult time.

Henry Ellis
Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by Philip Smith and Henry Ellis.

I first met Ken Cottier around 1976, when he came to give a seminar at University College London, where I was a student. After that, our paths diverged, until I became involved with the International Aikido Federation (IAF). At some point I paid a visit to Hong Kong and gave a seminar in Ken's dojo. As you all know, in aikido it is customary to follow the Japanese custom and give an omiyage (souvenir). I chose some very good Scotch whisky. Ken was very happy to receive it, but, during the course of the seminar it was actually stolen from the dojo. Of course, Ken was distraught. After all, what would you do if the omiyage brought by the guest instructor was stolen from your own dojo?

Well, we became good friends after that and Ken used to send me audiotapes. He did not like writing letters and was never an Internet fan. Those tapes are full of stories, for which Ken was famous. Ken would start to tell me something about a serious issue involving the IAF, or aikido, or whatever, and incidentally would mention some shihan in the Hombu. There would then be a long interlude full of stories about the shihan, or whatever, after which Ken would ruefully resume his thread until the mention of another shihan he knew...

Best wishes to Ken, his family, the BAF, and all his aikido and non-aikido friends.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Goldsbury

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 06-07-2008 at 08:11 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

Ken Cottier sensei can rightly be called the mentor of South African aikido, and personal mentor of almost all the current seniors there. I first met Cottier Sensei in I think it was 1990 at the first summer camp I attended, and could not help but be impressed with his passion for aikido, and for people. His heart was all-encompassing, felt even through the pain of his applied shihonage!

I remember well the "war stories" told at the food and drink session after classes, and of driving him around during the 30th anniversary celebrations of the Aikido Federation of South Africa, including to visit a Chinese doctor for acupuncture for his knees.

After coming to Japan I exchanged letter and postcards with Cottier Sensei for some years while training with Abe sensei, but lost touch about two years back. I am saddened to hear of the situation and hope that my thoughts will bring him some support. Cottier Sensei, I think of you often, as an inspiration to my training especially now in bujutsu with the Aunkai, and my way of life. I thank you for showing me and others a better and a decent way by your sterling example. I will never forget you.

Gernot Hassenpflug, Tokyo, Japan
Old 06-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
crbateman

I know Cottier Sensei by reputation only, but it certainly is a good reputation. I'd like to offer my sincere wishes for his peace and comfort, and for that of his family and friends at this difficult time. Those who have touched lives can find solace in the knowledge that theirs is a lasting impression.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

I have heard that Cottier Shihan passed away this morning.

May he rest in peace.

Peter Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
attydotcom
Dojo: Kannagara Aikido Club, SHAC Cebu
Philippines

This is indeed sad news...

I first met Cottier Sensei back in 1998 (or maybe 1999) when he went to Davao City to do a mini seminar. That was my second exposure to a world class Shihan ( i was 5th Kyu then)... a lot of his teachings stuck with me to this day and i am very grateful to have learned, practiced, and shared moments of aikido with him, albeit so short a time..

The thing i most remember of Cottier Sensei, besides his Aikido, is that he loves to sing.. We spent most of the evenings during that week long mini seminar in Davao City singing.. He does all the singing, while i play the guitar for him.. Indeed a wonderful person, a gentleman, a class act in his own right..

Although he may not remember me because we only got to spend a very very short time together, my fond memories of him will surely last forever..

Cottier Sensei will soon be entering a new beginning... And we wish him well...

With all my heart...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I have heard that Cottier Shihan passed away this morning.
Sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.

I had the pleasure of attending one seminar by Cottier sensei here in Holland a couple years ago and getting thrown around a little bit. "A true gentleman" someone else on this thread said and that was the strong impression I was left with as well. An inspiration.

Pauliina
Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

So sad.

Good bye old friend so many memories, so many good times. You will be sorely missed by me, my wife and children and of course by my mother.

Philip
Old 06-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
AikiWeb System
Kenneth Cottier Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2008-06-08 11:58:23 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14600

Kenneth Cottier sensei, 7th dan aikikai, passed away early this morning (UK time). He had been diagnosed with lung cancer and was in a hospice in Clatterbridge in Chesire, England, near his home.

According to the Hong Kong Aikido Association website, "Mr. Kenneth Cottier was a student of the Founder of Aikido, from the early 1960's and continued to live and train in Japan for almost 25 years. Cottier Sensei was instrumental in forming the Hong Kong Aikido Association in 1971, he represents the British Aikido Federation, the Superior Council of the International Aikido Federation and Founder of Hong Kong Aikido Association. Sensei was awarded the tilte of Shihan by Aikikai Hombu Dojo on 2002."

My condolences go out to his family, friends, and loved ones.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
BritishAikido@ntlworld.
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

So very sad.
The present Doshu wrote to me " It is more than thirty years since Kisshomaru Ueshiba, my father suceeded Aikido Doshu II. And last year, I was inaugurated as the Aikido Doshu. Time flies !! Aikidoists who were awarded Dan Grades by the Founder are becoming fewer year by year . I believe that a person like you is very precious ".

Ken Cottier Sensei is one of the precious ones.

Henry Ellis
Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #19
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

My sincere gratitude and love go to Sensei's family, his dojo family, and his friends.
Gambatte.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

Condolence to his family and may he rest in peace.

Mel Miel
www.aikido-philippines.com
Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Shima Ryu
Dojo: Shima Arashi Budokan
United Kingdom
Sensei Cottiers Passing

My most sincere condolences go out to Sensei Cottier's family, friends & students. At Thursday nights adult class I shall be sure to have Sensei Cottier & his loved ones in the thoughts of myself & the students. This is indeed a sad day for the world of Aikido
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
cnseidojuku
Hong Kong

It has been exactly nine years since I began training in Aikido (on 9 June 1999) at the Hong Kong Aikido Association, where I received instruction from Cottier Shihan for the first time same year. Nine years have passed, feeling extremely sad to receive the news on this day. I last spoke to Cottier Shihan in Feb 2006 and didn't have a chance to see him for the past two years. Never expected that would be the last time I saw him and the last good-bye I said to him.

As my Sensei puts it, which I feel the same way too: "Cottier Shihan's devotion to Aikido, his modesty and sincerity in dealing with people will serve as a model for many of his students. He is indeed true Aikido."

We wholeheartedly thank him for his teachings, both in and out of the dojo, all these years. Our thoughts are with him and his family. Cottier Shihan will always be remembered by all of us in the years to come! His teachings will continue to be passed on.

Pearl Koo
Aikido Seidojuku - Beijing
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #23
Takao Hattori
Dojo: Shunyoukai/Yokosuka
Japan
Re: Ken Cottier Sensei Passes Away

I still remember his calm voice. I wanted to see him in HK again.
My sincere gratitude and love go to Sensei's family, his dojo family, and his friends.
Takao Hattori - Shunyoukai, from Chiang Mai, Thailand
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #24
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #25
akiy

I have received the following from Tony Skillen:

Quote:
Tony Skillen wrote:
I am the nephew of Ken Cottier, I was very close to my uncle Ken, I lost my father when I was 7 years old. my uncle ken became my father. he was the most generous, kind, and loving man in the world, and anyone who met him will say the same. as I read the notes of this blog, with tears and great of sadness in my heart, I just want to say thank you to all the kind words of comfort. all the family where there through out the day he died, it was a heartbreaking thing to see for the family to watch one of the greatest men in Aikido go to such a nasty thing as cancer, he did not deserve it. His funeral is on the 16/6/08 on the Wirral, England.

Tony Skillen
-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!