Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Which "wall" do you run into more often during your current aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of October 8, 2006:

Which "wall" do you run into more often during your current aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Mental
  • Physical
Here are the current results.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: Which "wall" do you run into more often during your current aikido training?

Funny... This poll seems to discriminate against physically handicapped folks; but then, there is no right or wrong answer...
In gassho,
mark
Old 10-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Re: Poll: Which "wall" do you run into more often during your current aikido training?

I don't think the poll discriminates. Back in the high season of political correctness, when I was in graduate school, I went to a lecture where people without any physical handicap were refered to as "temporarily able-bodied." I think that's actually a useful way to think about things. We're all physically limited in some way, and we are all very succeptible to becoming "handicapped," often through no fault of our own. If we're lucky, we get old and inevitably a bit creaky, and become handicapped that way. One major physical limitation we all face is a limit of time -- we only have so many decades in which to practice! One lifetime at a time!

(Sorry if this is a bit of a digression).

--Amelia
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Generally I hit the West wall, which is fortunate as the mats go two feet up the wall. As opposed to the East wall, which is entirely mirrored and not a good idea to hit...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 10-12-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

So Jo is obviously usually hitting a physical wall. In most other cases - and this is not limited to temporarily able-bodies human beings, even when you think you hit a physical wall, it is mental wall. Probably it is the mental wall (buffer-zone) you create to avoid crashing into your physical limit, but very often it is a mental barrier you just create to simplify your world.

After all the years I still have problems throwing strong and heavy fellow-aikidoka, although I know from a few "accidents", that they fall as easy as the others, when the technique is applied correctly.

And when ever I am totally exhausted, it is mostly just because I blocked myself from staying calm and breath. I see this very often at other aikidoka so it not just me, but I guess most aikidoka run against mental walls.

Jo Adell is an exception

Best regards Dirk
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 AM   #6
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Mental wall. Because generally if I have hit a physical wall, it's because I hit a mental wall first.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

[QUOTE
Jo Adell is an exception /QUOTE]

cool. I got it in Writing!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1