Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Is regularly training at multiple aikido dojo beneficial to aikido beginners?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of September 3, 2006:

Is regularly training at multiple aikido dojo beneficial to aikido beginners?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: Is regularly training at multiple aikido dojo beneficial to aikido beginners?

This is a pretty easy poll, since it makes perfect sense that beginners focus on building a kind of foundation. Those of us who managed to blunder into a really good dojo at the beginning of our aikido journey thank our lucky stars.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: Is regularly training at multiple aikido dojo beneficial to aikido beginners?

IMHO, no.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
wayneth
Dojo: Port Talbot Dojo
Wales

Personally I don't think it can, and more than anything wouldn't you attend the same style of school at a beginners level?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Well there are exemptions, when there is a sensei, teaching a few times a week at one place and some other days at another place. While some people could argue, it is the same dojo, just another location, even if they are different clubs sharing one instructor.

In general it is easy to say that absolute beginners better start in one dojo and add additional views on aikido later, if any.

It would be much more interesting, when at earliest you would suggest a student to train in different dojo, given he is talented and lets say the reason is that both dojo just offer 3 classes a week and (s)he seeks for more.

Have a year, 2 years, after shodan?

I know some of you have good arguments for just sticking to one sensei as long as possible.

So I just ask those, who would accept training elsewhere.

My personal opinion is that after 6 to 12 month, one could be able to deal with different approaches. If they have totally different styles and insist both in doing exactly the footwork as taught,waiting longer could be even counterproductive, as the firmer one style is in your body the harder it is to switch instantaneously.

Cheers Dirk
Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #6
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Going to a another dojo in a different style wouldnt be my first suggestion if somebody feels that they dont get enough training "at home".

Things that lends well for private training: Suburi, tanrenuchi, makiwara, tai sabaki, kata, etc. Bokken, jo and a mirror goes a long way...
Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
wayneth
Dojo: Port Talbot Dojo
Wales

I second what Peter said, you cannot get enough Tai sabaki!! Also I have found shadow techniques have worked pretty nicely.
If you now the instructor from another Dojo, then maybe a good idea but if he is someone who your instructor might not now personally or of a different system; might not be a good idea. It might give you brain overload.
Wayne
Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
ESimmons
United_States
Re: Poll: Is regularly training at multiple aikido dojo beneficial to aikido beginner

I would think there are benefits and drawbacks. Seeing as how there are benefits, whether or not they outnumber the drawbacks, it is therefore beneficial in whatever capacity. So, answering the poll with infallible logic (as I always do), I must answer Yes.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

I personally recommend that my students visit other dojo's so that they get an all round picture of what's around. Those that like to train hard usually find that other dojo's seem to be lacking in some quarter's in my area and usually return saying they feel more at home where they first started. In my early days I often went dojo hopping and found good and bad and I have to say that the good were in the minority. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance!
To all I say go where you feel most comfortable.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Are you serious? This stuff is hard enough to get down pat from 1 dojo - let alone having varying styles to deal with. I'd have to say No.