Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #26
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Kata/Suburi apart from Saito Sensei

If you youtube Tohei jo you can find a few of him as well.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
Besides Chiba Sensei and Tada Sensei, I understand that Saotome Sensei/Kobayashi Yasuo Sensei/Nishio Sensei also introduced weapons systems, and it would be interesting to see clips of those as well, in addition to Yoshinkan bukiwaza...
I believe I read in an interview with Kobayashi Sensei that he followed Saito Sensei's system. Having said that, things tend to diverge over time, so they won't be identical everywhere. From what I've seen on videos, however, Kobayashi dojos are still pretty close in weapons to Iwama-style dojos. I certainly wouldn't call it a separate "style" of aikido weapons.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #28
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote: View Post
Besides Chiba Sensei and Tada Sensei, I understand that Saotome Sensei/Kobayashi Yasuo Sensei/Nishio Sensei also introduced weapons systems, and it would be interesting to see clips of those as well, in addition to Yoshinkan bukiwaza...
I believe I read in an interview with Kobayashi Sensei that he followed Saito Sensei's system. Having said that, things tend to diverge over time, so they won't be identical everywhere. From what I've seen on videos, however, Kobayashi dojos are still pretty close in weapons to Iwama-style dojos. I certainly wouldn't call it a separate "style" of aikido weapons.
Probably Kobayashi Hirokazu was meant in the first place - he did introduce a distinct weapon system, and a system of aikido bodywork.

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 08-19-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: quoting reference mistake
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Here are a few clips of Kanai sensei's weapons forms. First a paired bokken form and then two clips of jo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKRmDHsDWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFwaqcX4NA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcCYToJW77U

Jonathan Olson
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #30
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I would love to make it over there to train at the summer camp there! For now, it is but a dream.... but maybe one day!

As to the OP: I completely understand where you are coming from. With today's technology, it seems the internet is one of the first places we look for information.

This has the most current list of DVD's with U.S. Birankai: http://www.birankai.org/VideosDVDs.html

Here is a list of Birankai UK DVDs on sale: http://www.britishbirankai.com/conte...ategory/35/66/

Here is a dvd with Chibas 36 jo basics - same as the one from Birankai, just a different source, but I thought you may find some other dvds of interest (under DVDs on left, hit aikido - you will get TONS!): http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=21364

Here is a video of one of his kumitachi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwxBl...eature=related

Here is Biran Onlines page with other videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BiranOnline#p/u

I am sure there are other places with dvd/video of his tsuburi and kumitachi and such. There is also a video of testing requirements up to first kyu. I believe the tsuburi you are looking for may be in there (but I am not certain). Also, you could try finding weapons seminars by Mike Flynn (one in Oregon in September), who is an amazing aikidoist all around, but his weapon work is top notch. He is one of the primo weapons people in Birankai. He doesn't come to the U.S. too often though, as he resides in the UK or is it Scotland?. Best of luck!
Dear Ashley,
Mike lives in Scotland.I just met him two weeks ago at our Summer School.Just as a point of interest Robert Needleman [from Oregon -the man with the tigers , a good friend of mine was also there]. Say Hi to Mr Bluhm for me . All the best , Joe.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #31
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Ashley,
Mike lives in Scotland.I just met him two weeks ago at our Summer School.Just as a point of interest Robert Needleman [from Oregon -the man with the tigers , a good friend of mine was also there]. Say Hi to Mr Bluhm for me . All the best , Joe.
I will be sure to tell him you said hello once he returns. He is down in CA. He took his son to college and I think he is going to get a training session in while he is down there as well. As for Robert Needleman, I have never met him or anyone else from there, but I have heard about them. As far As Mike goes, I am actually going to the seminar he's doing next month. I am way excited. I have never been to a seminar before and I know he is a top notch!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #32
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

Here is a video of the six jo kata and counter. This is one of the first that we use at Aikikai of Philadelphia to teach maai and suburi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schdTmlCQCE
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #33
gates

Thought this clip of Noro Sensei might be of interest to you.

I think it must be an improvisational kata. It is pretty darn sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsu7jCfALiM

Keith

Last edited by gates : 01-26-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #34
Rob Watson
United_States

Don't forget to look for Hiroshi Kato and Michio Hikitsuchi weapons work.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

In the ASU, we use Saotome Shihan's kumitachi and kumijo kata, but I'm having a hard time finding them on YouTube.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #36
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

We have and are filming various weapons work for our documentqry, THE ART OF PEACE. The work is influenced by Seito Shihan (with altered counters), John Stevens (I beleive based on Shabata Shihan initially), Nizam Taleb Sensei (kobayashi and Nishio influenced) plus original katas created to encode the suburi into systematic exercises. We will make them available on youtube once we complete the final edit and decide which will be used in the film. We'll post anything we don't use and be sure to send you a link.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #37
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Who is Seito Shihan?

Quote:
Ed Shockley wrote: View Post
We have and are filming various weapons work for our documentqry, THE ART OF PEACE. The work is influenced by Seito Shihan (with altered counters), John Stevens (I beleive based on Shabata Shihan initially), Nizam Taleb Sensei (kobayashi and Nishio influenced) plus original katas created to encode the suburi into systematic exercises. We will make them available on youtube once we complete the final edit and decide which will be used in the film. We'll post anything we don't use and be sure to send you a link.