Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #26
RonCottier
United Kingdom
Re: Ken Cottier Sensei Passes Away

My family and I have been heartened by all the kind messages of support during this very difficult time. We are all very proud and realize how many hundreds even thousands of people Ken befriended and inspired.

The funeral service is at St Mary's C of E Church, Eastham, Wirral at 11.00 am on 16th June with burial at Plymyard cementry close by.

A gathering of all family, friends and acquaintances is to be held at Bromborough Royal British Legion, Bromborough Village. All are welcome.

For any further information please phone me on 0151 334 1213 or you can also phone 0151 645 5155 and they will be able to give you details.

Please note it's Family Flowers only, but donations in Ken's memory would be welcome to St. John's Hospice, Clatterbridge, Wirral.

Once again thank you for all your kind words and support.

Ron Cottier (Ken's brother)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #27
akiy

Ron, thank you for posting the details of your brother's service. And, Tony, thank you for sharing with us your thoughts and memories of your uncle.

My heart and thought goes out to you and everyone in your family.

Best regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Condolances, and Best Wishes,

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #29
Ricardo Emmanuel Tianco
Dojo: Hong Kong Aikido Association
Hong Kong

My deep sympathy and condolences to the family of Kenneth Cottier Shihan and prayers for the soul of Cottier Sensei.

With his guidance, the path has been set and all there is left is to follow and never stop.

Ricky
Hong Kong Aikido Association
Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #30
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

I only attended one seminar given by Ken Cottier in Ireland a few years back. One memory that stood out was that even though he obviously had some knee trouble , he spent a large portion of the Sunday morning with some of the more clueless whitebelts (myself included) taking ukemi from us and enjoying himself!

I also took some very powerful throws from him where his movement was minimal and his elbows cemented to his hara. I hadn't a clue what he was doing at the time. I would have loved to meet up with him again to try and understand what was going on!.

Anyway, a few things he taught that short seminar have stayed with me. I hope it will be of some comfort to those close to him to know that he transmitted the art very generously even to those he met for only a couple of days.

Condolences

Oisin Bourke
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #31
akiy

I have received the following from Tony Doherty:
Quote:
Tony Doherty wrote:
As everyone by now has heard the Ken passed away in the early hours of Sunday Morning.
His funeral will take place on Monday the 16th June 2008 at
St Mary's Church in Eastam Village Wirral
All aikidoka are welcome,the family have asked that No flowers are sent but a donation can be given to the Hospice where sensie passed away.
St Johns Hospice
Higher bebington
Wirral
Cheshire
England.
If you are thinking of attending please call the family and let them know of 01 0151 334 1213.
He is already sadly missed but his spirit is always with us,
We say good bye to the greatest Gentleman in Aikido
Ryusuikan Dojo
-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 06-12-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #32
Valentina
Dojo: Aikikai Milano
Italy

Message from Yoji Fujimoto in Milan:
"It is with sadness that I receive this terrible news. I would like to express my deepest and sincere condolences to Ken Cottier's family and friends."

Kind Regards
Valentina
Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #33
cnseidojuku
Hong Kong

To: Kenneth Cottier Shihan

Not having seen you for more than two years, there are so many things in my heart left unsaid.

Although I have left Hong Kong and continue to study Aikido in other places, I have always been sincerely studying Aikido wherever I go just as you have taught us and my heart has always been with you and the Hong Kong Aikido Association. I should have contacted you more often in the past two years. From being distant to you as a beginner to being closer to you as a yudansha, I realize I have not done much for you as a student. I remember the last thing I did for you was to deliver a pack of grapes to you at the hotel one afternoon (also on behalf of one other Aikido student, Ching-yee), hoping you could have some fruits during tea time. That was just about one of the very few good things I had done for you. Now looking back, all those small group gatherings with you outside the dojo, such as going for Chinese dim sum which you like very much, and chatting with you in the hotel, have become too few but too dear and memorable.

Thank you for grading me Shodan. I feel very proud to have received Shodan from you.
Thank you for writing a reference letter for me to study Aikido in Singapore.
Thank you for writing a recommendation letter for me so that I could take my Nidan grading at Aikikai Hombu Dojo.
Thank you for your time, all the kind advices and guidance during my confused moments in life.
Thank you for giving me a good Sensei. I believe there are many fine qualities in him being passed on from you and eventually being passed on to me.
Thank you for being an inspiration to me in Aikido.

Although our encounter has been very short and brief (lasted for less than nine years, I wish it could be a lot longer), you have left with me something precious which will stay with me for a life-time. I guess quality time is what matters. I feel guilty for not being able to attend the memorial service held for you in Hong Kong and the funeral service to be held for you in England. Although I cannot be there, my heart is with you.

I have written to you before that I will make you proud one day. Although this day has not yet come for you to see it, I will still try my very best to fulfill my promise. I will keep all your kind advices at heart and I will continue to do what you had accomplished in Aikido. I know all these words come in a bit too late, may this message accompany you on your journey as you finally depart on Monday, June 16th. My heart and thoughts will be with you on this day.

Thank you for everything. Good Bye, Sensei. I believe your spirit lives on.

Pearl Koo
Former Member of the Hong Kong Association
Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #34
judojo

Dojo: Ju Dojo
Location: 349 MALVAR STREET, DIPOLOG CITY, 7100, ZDN, PHILIPPINES
Philippines

Condolence to Sensei Ken Cottier....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #35
Hitoshi Nagai
Dojo: Aikido Doyu-kai Hong Kong
Japan

I got a sad news last Sunday.
I would like to express my sincere condolences to Cottier sensei and his family.

We have a lot of memories with him and never forget.
Thanks for all.

Hitoshi Nagai
Hong Kong Aikido Association
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #36
Paul W Hughes
Dojo: Onchan Aikido Club
Isle of Man
Ken Cottier

I would just like to send belated condolences to the Ken Cottier family and friends, as one who had the pleasure of meeting him his and teachings in Aikido.
He was always a brilliant ambassador of Aikido, willing to teach for no gain but to freely pass on his passionate knowledge of what he knew.
After Aikido practice he would always have stories and anecdotes to tell of his travels.

He will be missed by all.

Paul Hughes
Isle of Man
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #37
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Ken Cottier

Quote:
Paul Hughes wrote: View Post
I would just like to send belated condolences to the Ken Cottier family and friends, as one who had the pleasure of meeting him his and teachings in Aikido.
I was lucky enough to attend a couple of his seminars while at university. Time has passed but he is still remembered.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #38
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Ken Cottier

I last saw Cottier Shihan at the Kenshiro Abbe Memorial event in 2005..I reminded him of when we first met around 1960 when he was a Judoka and a beginner in Aikido, I was teaching Aikido with Ken Williams the first student of Aikido in the UK at Fred Wainwrights Dojo in Liverpool. The one thing I remember about Ken was his abilty to immitate almost anyone, in particular Kenshiro Abbe to perfection... He was a very funny guy and a great ambassador for Aikido.

Henry Ellis
http://kyu-shin-do.blogspot.com/