Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Blackbird
a pattern?????

hi

im new to this forum but i was wondering if someone would be able to help me out with some step by step instructions for a pattern please.
i however do not know the name of the pattern :S
It is a KI training exercise.....

it starts off in standard position and then you raise both hands in a upward circle to the left-front of you and extend, then back to standard (x2)
then you drop both hands and make a 180 turn and raise hands to about waist height and extend, back to standard (x2)
this is all that i can fully remember so if someone woul please be able to help me out it would be much appreciated
Thanks again
Old 08-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #2
kung fu hamster
If you're talking about happo undo (8 directions), think of it as stepping in the direction of a cross pattern and then an X pattern, alternating feet with each step. At the end of the pattern you should be facing a rear corner (from the direction you initially faced when you started the pattern).

Last edited by kung fu hamster : 08-14-2003 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Kind of hard to do via typing, but imagine yourself at the center of a compass. It is an 8 count exercise, and the directions you need to face (square your hips to) are:

1. N

2. S

3. E

4. W

5. SW (By stepping foward)

6. NE

7. NW

8. SE

You should be able to pivot back to face N after 8. You should end up in the same place you start. All the even numbers are 180 degree pivots.

Good luck
Old 08-14-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
Blackbird
thanks

but i know the directions i was wondering about the hand movements mostly...

sorry i should specified that

thanks again
Old 08-25-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
I'm going to hazard a guess. It seems you're talking about two similar but different exercises.

The first one is ikkyo exercise. This is where you raise both hands up to eye level, sort-of-like you're getting ready to shot a free throw in basketball. There is one variation of this where you change directions, doing it in both front and back.

The second one is rowing exercise. This is where you extend your hands in front about waist high. This comes from traditional sculling, using one oar.

You could combine the above exercises, but it might only confuse people, since the timing is different in each exercise.

Your best bet is to ask your instructor or a fellow student to go over the movements with you. Having an exercise name would help also, since it's hard trying to guess what the movement is. If you get one please let us know. Then we can see how correct or far off we were.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Sounds like Zengo undo. Block turn tenkai block and turn back to front for next count. It's like shomenuchi ikkyo undo to the front and rear.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
emi_moes
Dojo: northern lights aikido/Duluth, MN
United_States
Re: a pattern?????

it seems to me as though they are refering to Udefuri Undo: Stand naturally with your left hand in front of your One-point and your right hand at the small of your back. The "One" count is relaxing and swinging your arms to switch positions. The "Two" count returns them to their starting places. The exercise is done with the arms only. The shoulders should not rotate with the arms but should stay in place.

which is followed by Udefuri Choyaku Undo
The end of Udefuri-undo counting includes a step forward with the left foot on "Four".
The "One" count of this exercise has you shift your weight forward and sliding your left foot, then step with your right foot and pivot to face the opposite direction while stepping your left foot. Draw your right foot back and lower your center of gravity by bending your knees. You must be well balanced and ready to spring out forward again to return to your starting point (the "Two" count) so that your left foot is forward.

But... I may just be confused by the "upward circle" part

~Emi, Domo arigato gozaimashita
Old 03-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
David Anderson
Canada
Re: a pattern?????

Ryan -- This sounds to me like the first two movements of the Kihon Dosa kata.