Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2003, 09:48 AM   #1
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Pattern for Weapons Bag

I have been looking for a pattern for a cordura weapons bag as these are only available by mail from the United States. My birthday is coming up, my wife is great with the sewing machine and is willing to make me a gift. I'm looking for one with pockets and room for at least two Jos and one Bokken.
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
joan
Dojo: Michigan Technological University
I haven't ever seen a pattern, but several of the folks in our dojo including me have sewn bags. Start with a rectangle, sew on a pocket or two, put a heavy-duty zipper on the top (separating works better) and a couple of straps, then sew rectangle together.

(It makes sense if you sew a lot AND if you have some knowledge of what weapons bags look like)

Good luck
Old 02-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
henry brown

Dojo: Soseikan, Worth IL
My wife made me a bag a few years ago

It is a long rectangle of heavy cloth about 1.75 - 2 meters by 0.75 meters (you are in Canada, right?).

On the anterior side, she sewed on a second piece of cloth 1.25 m by 0.75 meters. So now you have a bag 1.25 by 0.75, with a 'hood'. She then divided the bag into three compartments lenthwise. Each compartment can hold a couple of weapons.

She also sewed on a small pocket on the anterior portion of the bag that is big enough to hold a tanto. This little pocket has a velcro clousure.

To fold the thing up, you fold the hood over the anterior of the bag so the weapons don't slide out of their pockets, and then roll the thing up. On the back side of the bag there is a long shoulder strap. There are also two straps with velcro that wrap around the bag perpidincular to the length to keep it from rolling open.

It works pretty well.