Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
nmrmak
Dojo: Shin Ken (Aikikai)
Yugoslavia
A test in sight

It's been a while since my first grading for 6th kyu...
In two days, I will demonstrate for a 4th kyu (nothing impressive, i've been into aikido for a little less than a year and a half).
I'd like to ask you all if you have any advice for me? All the tiny details you'd like to rant about and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Nebojsa Mrmak
Old 12-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Re: A test in sight

I just passed my 3rd kyu. My best advice is Relax and Enjoy yourself! I really tried to this time around, and discovered that I could even enjoy making the mistakes, and knowing I was making the mistakes!
You will do fine.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Andres Almosny

Dojo: Nürnberg
Germany

Hey Nebojsa,
i have some tips:
try to relax
do not invent, do tecniques as you know them now
think as if you where practicing the exam, i think this is the most important
and if it helps, one of my sensei sings in his mind so he can relax himself ;-) , and it was an exelent NiDan exam. so find something that calms you down and aikido will flow.

good luck
Old 12-24-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
justin
United Kingdom

your grading on xmas day ! anyway all the best sure you will do just fine
Old 12-25-2005, 06:05 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Doesn't 5th kyu come before 4th kyu?
In gassho
Old 12-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

I'd just like to check in and say that i passed
It was quite exhausting, which just goes to prove that i should work more on my stamina. I had a small problem with the yokomenuchi attacks, but nothing too serious.

Yes, the 5th kyu does come between the 6th and 4th, i just wanted to say that i hadn't been practicing for a long time now

Thanks for all the tips and good wishes

Sincerely,
Nebojsa Mrmak
Old 12-26-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Mark Uttech

So, if you haven't been practicing for a long time, you get to skip ranks? I have heard of that before, but I never figured it out. If you skipped over 5th kyu, I am sorry that you never got to experience 5th kyu; you will never be able to understand 5th kyu people. And if one kyu rank doesn't 'count', none of them do; so it is a sorry state of affairs. In gassho
Old 12-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
So, if you haven't been practicing for a long time, you get to skip ranks? I have heard of that before, but I never figured it out. If you skipped over 5th kyu, I am sorry that you never got to experience 5th kyu; you will never be able to understand 5th kyu people. And if one kyu rank doesn't 'count', none of them do; so it is a sorry state of affairs. In gassho
No, no... i failed to get the point across again
I did rank for the 5th kyu. But i wanted to say that it's not been a long time since i had my first ranking (for the 6th kyu) - it's been just a little more than a year... I don't have many rankings under my belt, and i'm still excited about rankings (this was my third ranking so far). I'm sorry if my English is confusing sometimes, but there is a simple explanation for that - English isn't my native language, and i sometimes get lost in the sentence i'm writing...

There is no rank skipping in my dojo, and i'm quite happy about it. There is the possibility of a person demonstrating for several kyus at once, but that's only if he (or she) is from an unknown dojo, and it's so sensei can see if he deserves the rank, but that's very rare with us anyway, as we don't have many people coming from other dojos, especially not to stay in our dojo permanently.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #9
Mark Uttech

Oh. Whew! Thank you very much for the explanation. And then, congratulations on your next rank!
In gassho
Old 12-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Oh. Whew! Thank you very much for the explanation. And then, congratulations on your next rank!
In gassho
Thank You

Sincerely,
Nebojsa Mrmak
Old 01-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #11
stefano marchi
Dojo: bu iku kai altavilla
Italy
Smile Re: A test in sight

hello! my fourth kyu test has been a little disaster, during a technic of hanmi handachi,i received an accidental kick in my face,and i had a cut on the lip and the nose half broken,i continued the test with the gi full of blood,i was very disappointed, because i played kickboxing before aikido,and never received a bow like that.aniway i hope you have a good test ,get fun!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #12
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stefano Marchi wrote:
hello! my fourth kyu test has been a little disaster, during a technic of hanmi handachi,i received an accidental kick in my face,and i had a cut on the lip and the nose half broken,i continued the test with the gi full of blood,i was very disappointed, because i played kickboxing before aikido,and never received a bow like that.aniway i hope you have a good test ,get fun!

if you continued i think you done very well, how did it go anyway
Old 01-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Quote:
Stefano Marchi wrote:
I hope you passed that test (and i believe the instructors were aware of your courage for continuing and not weeping out). What rank was it for? did you pass?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
stefano marchi
Dojo: bu iku kai altavilla
Italy
Ki Symbol Re: A test in sight

i passed well ,this year near the month of may,have the test for 2°kyu,but althoug this test is much more difficult than that of 4°i'm not nervous like that time,perhaps because i worked hard,i suggest you if you can, to do the same, partecipation to stages is very important to improve and to stay together as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #15
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

try thinking about it this way

every practice is a test
every time you step on the mat is a test
every waza is a test
every moment is a test

Osensei is watching you

this has been a test... ;-))