Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer
Dojo: Shi Zen Ryu
Netherlands
Hachi no ji jo suburi

Before I pose my question, it seems polite to briefly introduce myself, for this is my first posting on these forums, although I have passively been enjoying these forums for quite some time and I am very grateful for everything I learned from all your contributions. My name is Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer. I have been doing aikido for about six years now, so I am very much a beginner. I train at Shi Zen Ryu dojo in Leiden, the Netherlands, with Tom Verhoeven sensei.

My question is about the name of the jo suburi called "hachi no ji", which would translate as "figure eight". As you know, the technique consists in holding the jo in one hand and making it swirl in vertical circles alternately along both sides of the body. Then, in fact, both ends of the jo describe a pattern similar to the figure 8 (one circle left of your body, one circle right, and the point where they meet exactly in front of you). So it seems quite obvious that this movement is called "figure eight", except that in Japanese eight is not written as 8. Yet, the description seems too perfect not to derived from the western figure 8. Alternatively, the name could have been derived from the Japanese character for eight, which consists of two oblique vertical strokes, somewhat like this: /\. I can imagine that hachi no ji refers to this pattern, because the vertical circles described by the jo follow the path of the two strokes in the character. However, this seems less fitting and less apropriate as a name than a reference to the western 8.

I am completely aware that there are more important things in life than this, but I am just curious. Does anyone know whether the name hachi no ji is derived from the Japanese character eight or the western figure 8?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Hachi no ji jo suburi

When I read your description and then look at the kanji, if most certainly looks like the answer to your curious question is right there.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Mashu

Maybe it is the secret bee swarm defence.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Ilja,

The name 'katate hachi no ji gaeshi' comes from the movement's similarity to the kanji. Most people assume it has to do with an 8 turned on its side, but that is incorrect. Making fancy circles with the jo should not be the emphasis. The kanji is showing the lines of the two strikes that are delivered to the head and/or hands of an opponent.

Michael
Old 08-04-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer
Dojo: Shi Zen Ryu
Netherlands

Thanks very much indeed for the very illumating answers.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!