Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Competetive arts

Hey.

As i've stated in other threads, i take 2 styles of martial arts (shaolin, and aikido) Although i love both of them and i would for sure never quit aikido.... Neither of them have the competition i am looking for.

I want to start another art that is more of a sport. An art that has regular tournaments and competitions. I have looked into Judo , but there arent really any judo dojos in my area.

Other than judo and BJJ , do any of u know of any other martial arts that are more sporting and have competitions on a regular basis? Any help would be much appreciated.

-Paige
Old 07-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States
Re: Competetive arts

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Hey.

As i've stated in other threads, i take 2 styles of martial arts (shaolin, and aikido) Although i love both of them and i would for sure never quit aikido.... Neither of them have the competition i am looking for.

I want to start another art that is more of a sport. An art that has regular tournaments and competitions. I have looked into Judo , but there arent really any judo dojos in my area.

Other than judo and BJJ , do any of u know of any other martial arts that are more sporting and have competitions on a regular basis? Any help would be much appreciated.

-Paige
Boxing, Fencing, also Wrestling(olympic style ), TKD, many Karate styles, competition shooting (rifles, pistols, or archery), javelin, discuss...Hope that helps.
Gene
Old 07-05-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Smile Re: Competetive arts

I just read an article by Dave Lowry about how martial artists shouldn't ignore demonstrations of other martial arts. Every martial art has something to offer in terms of footwork, focus, or just "stuff" we've never seen. Lowry mentioned kendo in particular for its quick footwork.
Kendo has competition as part of its training regimen. A friend of mine that's a sandan in aikido tried kendo and didn't like it, but then he's not that interested in competition.

Kendo, maybe?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

what is it that you are looking for by means of competition?

I understand that you said "other than BJJ and Judo", I frankly find them to be wonderful compliments to Aikido.

Kendo too is a good compliment to aikido.

It just depends on your goals.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
paw

Depending on your age, I would highly recommend folkstyle wrestling. In most schools it's free or very low cost, and the quality of instruction is very high. Not to mention the conditioning benefits of the training.

Best of luck in your search.

Regards,

Paul
Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
aikigirl10
United_States

I dont want BJJ because i've learned alot of ground fighting in shaolin already , and i dont really like it that much. I would absolutely love to do judo but the closest dojo is an hour away, and i think its just mixed martial arts w/some judo.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Of course there is also Shodokan Aikido that has competition in both Enbu (demonstration) and Shiai (one-on-one sparring).

Here is a site that may help - www.tomiki.org .
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

As Gene suggested, if you're craving competition in general, why limit yourself to martial arts? In fact, I think that to successfully compete in any MA requires such an intense and dedicated focus that it would take more time and energy away from your true love - Aikido - than you'd like. I like the idea of competitive shooting or archery.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Dominic Toupin
Canada

Just like Shodokan Aikido, Yoseikan Aikido has competition. Take a look at another threads about Yoseikan like this one http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8185 or take a look at http://www.yoseikan-budo.org/.

In Yoseikan, you have competition in kata, randori shiai, padded weapon.

Hope that you can find a dojo in your town...

Dominic
Old 07-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Michael Neal

go to judoinfo.com and look through their directory of schools, there maye be some near you that are not advertised.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

There are many opportunities to compete related to shaolin boxing. Check for tournaments in your area for wushu/sanda.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
aikigirl10
United_States

Thanks everyone for the links and advice, i will definitely be checking out the different styles of aikido , i didnt realize they had competition. Thank u

-paige
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
crusecontrl

United_States

well like it was said above wrestling would be good. maybe boxing/kickboxing/muay thai any of these have matches and are pretty competitive