Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Help: Who Is Nodan?

Does anyone no anything about a man that calls himself "Nodan" and that sends DVDs unsolicited to various dojo? A friend of mine just got such a DVD at his dojo. He was looking for some more context and/or background -- since nothing at all came with the DVD.

Looking on the Web I came across only these things:

(a add for the DVD with a video clip) --

http://www.customflix.com/206098

(and this review at the Iaido journal) --

http://ejmas.com/tin/2005tin/tinart_Schweer_0105.html

The "bizarre" part is that, at least in the way things are presented, there is a touch of insanity to it all -- only it is combined with some above average skill (if not higher).

Has anyone seen this DVD and/or know who this person really is, etc.?

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
jester

United_States
Re: Help: Who Is Nodan?

Judging from his Gi, I would say he does Hapkido.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
jester

United_States

His name No Dan, makes me think it's somewhat of a joke though. This can't be for real.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

someone who has seen "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" one too many times ?

someone who has WAY too much time on their hands.

it's a lot of trouble to go through for a joke.

It could be a stunt to prove people in martial arts will buy any garbage as long as there is some asian trappings to it no matter how poorly acted.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Has anyone seen this DVD and/or know who this person really is, etc.?
At best I think he is probably an ikkyy. He is certainly no dan.

Mike
Old 05-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
...It could be a stunt to prove people in martial arts will buy any garbage as long as there is some asian trappings to it no matter how poorly acted.
The title is currently on hold status and cannot be bought.

This looks like the work of Paul Schweer. He's the guy in the blue tee shirt and the one who wrote the Nodan review. His picture fits the general body type and the review is suspiciously too well informed. Also the postscript for Nodan's enlightenment is similar to Paul's style of writing in his AikiWeb columns. There are also discrepencies between the two DVD covers.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 05-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
senshincenter

United_States

Yeah - we got the Remo William's, Master Chun reference as well. lol

Well, rank is all relative. He still does some nice breaks in the video that would normally lead one to not think he's a bit loopy. Who ever knows though - really?

So, Ted, are you saying it looks like Paul Schweer - that Paul is Nodan? Where's the picture of Paul "in the blue shirt"? Do you have any pics of Paul Schweer as Paul Schweer - on the Net somewhere?

The thing is that my friends school isn't even Aikido and/or Japanese related. He's doing a mixture of American sport karate and Korean arts. For what it does, his school is very good (excellent I would say) and very reputable in the area.

How about this question: Has anyone besides Paul and my friend received and/or heard of someone receiving said DVD unsolicited?

a final note: everything in Paul's review is really gained from viewing the DVD - the review doesn't really seem all that well informed (above what is in and on the DVD).

dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
kironin

United_States

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
How about this question: Has anyone besides Paul and my friend received and/or heard of someone receiving said DVD unsolicited?
I have met Paul at the Aiki Expo and I don't recall him being that scrawny. Granted behind those glasses and fake beard you could hide just about anybody. I don't see Paul paying money to send out unsolicited DVD's for a prank.

Now if Yakov looks like Mongo I would be suspicious.

Regardless, it's all pretty bizarre.

Old 05-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
tedehara

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
...So, Ted, are you saying it looks like Paul Schweer - that Paul is Nodan? Where's the picture of Paul "in the blue shirt"? Do you have any pics of Paul Schweer as Paul Schweer - on the Net somewhere?...a final note: everything in Paul's review is really gained from viewing the DVD - the review doesn't really seem all that well informed (above what is in and on the DVD).

dmv
Click HERE to see his picture.

Paul doesn't just say Nodan wore thick glasses he was very specific.
Quote:
He wears big black spectacles, as seen in Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips.
He's giving too much specific information. He gives the exact cartoon the thick glasses appear in.

It sounds like an interesting parody. I don't think I would have gone through the trouble to make it though.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 05-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #10
senshincenter

United_States

Hi Ted,

I'm afraid the link only takes me to a gif file of the aikiweb icon. Is that what it is doing for you? Perhaps you can just send the url instead?

I took that to mean he just knew of that cartoon and of those glasses. When we watched it we recognized those glasses in a similar way (very much a 1940's U.S. caricature of the Japanese).

dmv

Last edited by senshincenter : 05-27-2005 at 04:51 PM.

David M. Valadez
Old 05-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
tedehara

http://www.aikido-l.org/seminars/200...y/AUT_0005.JPG

Thick glases have always been a comic prop. How do you get to a specific reference unless you know it to start?

About Ki
About You
Old 05-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
tedehara

Getting the aikiweb gif also. Have emailed pic via your dojo contact address.

I don't want to waste anymore bandwidth on this. Although I do think this is all hilarious.

About Ki
About You
Old 05-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
senshincenter

United_States

Thanks a lot Ted. Yes, it is very funny in a kind of Andy Kaufman sort of way. :-)
d

David M. Valadez
Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #14
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

I don't know who this guy is or what its all about, but several dojos in Arizona have recieved the nodan DVD in the mail unsolicited. And I agree that it is quite insane but at the same time he has some skill and some valid things to say, but its still insane and what is up with his partner that growls as he swings the knife?

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 05-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
senshincenter

United_States

Brad,

Did you happen to note where they all got the DVDs from? Like what was the return zip and/or the postage stamp saying?

d

David M. Valadez
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #16
senshincenter

United_States

Looking at Paul's picture, I came across Neil's - is there a resemblance here?

Also, for what it is worth, as a mystery, the guy does some Okinawan/Karate form in the DVD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L_seminar8.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	256  

David M. Valadez
Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #17
tedehara

I just thought of something. This may not be funny at all.
We'll just have to wait and see where this thread leads.

confused

About Ki
About You
Old 05-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #18
senshincenter

United_States

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
I just thought of something. This may not be funny at all.
We'll just have to wait and see where this thread leads.

confused

Now I'm confused by what you mean?

David M. Valadez
Old 05-28-2005, 12:56 AM   #19
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Now that E-budo is back up you might check over there. I remember a similar thread there at one point.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #20
Joe Jutsu
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

Hello all-

We received a copy of Nodan's video at my dojo. We watched it after our New Year's Eve training session over a couple of glasses of sake. It was truly hilarious, especially when his "uke" with the pirate patch over his eye steps on the mat to help him out. It was really weird how we received the video completely unsolicited, and in fact their was no return address and the postage hadn't even been marked so it couldn't be used again. After some discussion, some of us believe that the impetus behind these videos being distributed around could be some fundamentalist religious group trying to save our souls from the occultist practices we have been divulging in (I mean hey, we are a Ki Society dojo after all). If you've seen it, you'll recall that the recurrent theme throughout the video is that one need not participate in occultist practices to achieve power (as he shows by proving himself against countless, defenseless boards). Anyway, the video was great entertainment, and for what it's worth, I thank whoever sent it to our dojo. I don't think they got any converts, but we will always fondly remember that accent, something between French and Japanese if I remember correctly.

-Joe
Old 05-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #21
kironin

United_States

jeez, being in Texas with all the bible thumpers we got here, why haven't I gotten my copy ?

Old 05-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #22
senshincenter

United_States

Like I said, my friend's dojo is totally into the American sport-karate scene. It's about as secular as one could get - and as wholesome (if you into the whole discourse on how athletics, etc., makes for a good citizen). Just wondering out loud: Wouldn't a bible-thumper aim a little bit better since there are indeed dojo out there that are into the occult and/or that could be mistaken by such folks as being into the occult?

David M. Valadez
Old 05-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #23
Mashu

I'd think that sending his DVD to a dojo that was into mysticism or whatever would be a waste as they would be a harder target as they have probably found their "thing" already. Better to go after those who are in the big part of the bell curve. If that is what the Nodan thing is about?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #24
Joe Jutsu
Dojo: Currently relocating
United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
jeez, being in Texas with all the bible thumpers we got here, why haven't I gotten my copy ?

You can always come up to Lawrence for a private screening if you'd like, or I suppose we could bring it along to Vegas, if you are going to be there for Shinichi Tohei's visit. But sorry if you feel left out of the loop, we too have our fair share of thumper's around here (evolution debate, anyone?? ) but there's plenty of Nodan to go around.

Joe
Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #25
jester

United_States

I saw the video selling on the "International Combat Hapkido Federation" website for $5.

I called them to ask who he was, and the lady didn't know.