Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
PabloR
Spain
Jo size

Hi,

I saw that Morihei Ueshiba was a small height man (perhaps 160 cm).

Given that I'm 184 cm tall ... wich Jo size fits for me?

I think that the usual standard 128 cm is perhaps too smal.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Zato Ichi
Re: Jo size

Quote:
Pablo Roca wrote:
Hi,

I saw that Morihei Ueshiba was a small height man (perhaps 160 cm).

Given that I'm 184 cm tall ... wich Jo size fits for me?

I think that the usual standard 128 cm is perhaps too smal.

Thanks
It's not the size of the jo, it how you use it!!!

(Okay, sorry. But somebody had to say it! )
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

For aikido weapons, folks usually say up to the armpit, but it varies depending on the dojo/weapons style, so best to check with your sensei.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-11-2004, 02:26 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
For aikido weapons, folks usually say up to the armpit, but it varies depending on the dojo/weapons style, so best to check with your sensei.
For aiki jo it is usually rthe armpit as Janet states. There is a reason for this. When you stand in tsuki kamae and execute a tsuki or thrusting attack, if the jo is proportional to your body size, your front hand forefinger will be amost exactly at the center balance point of the staff when you arm is fully extended. This allows quick flipping movements and shifts from end to end without any grip readjustment.

In classical jo the length is standard regardless of the height of the practitioner but they do not execute their thrusts or strikes in the same way so it doesn't create a problem for them. They don't utilize the slide of the weapon in the hands as much as aiki jo. Also they don't do any of the spinning or flipping movements we are apt to do in aiki jo.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
PabloR
Spain

Thanks for your replies.

I asked that, cause beginning the 31 Jo Kata with a 128 cm Jo, gives me too small for the grip of the two hands.

Very detailed explanation George, thanks.

Now my problem is to find an online shop for buying a 142 cm Jo.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

I have a number of emails I can forward that promise to help increase the size of your jo dramatically!

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Quote:
Pablo Roca wrote:
Now my problem is to find an online shop for buying a 142 cm Jo.
Try directly http://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com or click to "supplies" link on the left and then click "Weapons".
Old 11-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
PabloR
Spain

Funny John .. LOL!

Thanks suren that fits pretty perfect.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
In classical jo the length is standard regardless of the height of the practitioner but they do not execute their thrusts or strikes in the same way so it doesn't create a problem for them. They don't utilize the slide of the weapon in the hands as much as aiki jo. Also they don't do any of the spinning or flipping movements we are apt to do in aiki jo.
George is correct, the jo should be a fixed length regardless of the individual size. A jo is measured in the old Japanese measurements of shaku (30.3 cm), sun (3.03 cm) and bu (0.303 cm), the exact measurement should be 4 shaku, 2 sun, 1 bu which equates to 127.563 cm, the diameter should be 8 bu which equates to 2.42 cm.

I'm not convinced of the need to have a longer jo length that reaches my armpit, I think that's just a western get out . If you're a short person do you have a shorter jo or do you practice with one that extends past your armpit? Why don't we have the same issue with bokuto, everyones arms are different lengths so why shouldn't shorter people have longer ken (I'm discounting Odachi )? I'm 6 feet 2 inches and use a regular jo without any problems, I don't have any issue with sliding my hands. Like anything, the more you practice with it the more natural it becomes, it shouldn't be an issue, but maybe that's just me .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
George is correct, the jo should be a fixed length regardless of the individual size. A jo is measured in the old Japanese measurements of shaku (30.3 cm), sun (3.03 cm) and bu (0.303 cm), the exact measurement should be 4 shaku, 2 sun, 1 bu which equates to 127.563 cm, the diameter should be 8 bu which equates to 2.42 cm.
Bryan, that's correct--as George stated--in koryu (the dimension you give is for SMRJ) however aikido is not koryu and there really are variations between styles and schools, so in aikido it is best to ask the individual instructor.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #11
rachel
Dojo: Aikikai Foundation Hombu Dojo, Aikido of Hilo
Japan

Firstly I want to say that the size of weapon is very important. The main reason is the element of control. For example in my dojo, we have jo that are sized for children. If they try to use a jo that is too long for them, they might hurt themselves or someone else. If a weapon is too long for you, it will be difficult to use properly and if it is too short, your grip will be challenging and you may risk getting your hands hit in paired practice. As a few others have said, when you place one end of a jo on the mat next to your foot, the other end should come just up to your underarm. My father actually makes weapons for Aikido by hand for this very reason. I suggest you visit his website http://www.homestead.com/floatingmountain/