Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2001, 01:59 AM   #1
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
question on AAA

Just wondered if anyone had any comments on the AAA or on Toyota himself.

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 03-05-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Chris P.
Re: question on AAA

Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:
They've always been helpful when I lock my keys in the car. I don't know much about Toyota though, I drive an Infiniti.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:15 PM   #3
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Ahh, Toyoda (not Toyota) Sensei. I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times during seminars. Toyoda Sensei is a very friendly and warm person. He enjoys teaching Kokyunages more than any other technique because as he says, "I enjoy watching the ukes fly through the air". In fact, he used to jokingly refer to the old Toyota automobile comercial by saying, "Oh what a feeling, Toyoda" after performing a kokyunage on an uke.

I enjoyed attending seminars when he was the guest instructor; he would always walk around and give personal instruction to everyone, not just stand at the front of the dojo and watch people fumble around.

I haven't been able to attend a Toyoda Sensei seminar in a few years but I recommend to everyone that if you have the opportunity to attend one, you should.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:31 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: question on AAA

Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:
Toyoda Sensei originally was affiliated with the Ki Society, but became independent. Within the last few years, his organization (AAA) has affiliated with Aikikai.

He is an especially good promoter and organizer. Of course, he's also a good aikidoist. I agree with lt-rentaroo, you should attend his seminars if you have the chance.

His most recent project is developing a HQ dojo in Arlington Hts. (a suburb NW of Chicago). Presntly the AAA HQ dojo is located on Chicago's near north side.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 03-06-2001, 08:42 AM   #5
akiy

I've only had the chance to attend one of Toyoda sensei's seminars (in New York), but I wrote a review on it here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/about/seminars/toyoda0699.html

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-06-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
I had the distinct pleasure of taking my independent dojo around to "da big three" aikido associations in the U.S. (AAA) being one of them. Not only were Toyoda's representives warm and receptive to my situation but Toyoda himself took the time to talk with me personally to see what was best for me and my dojo. He was of the mindset of "What can I do for you, and your dojo?" instead of other organizations that I talked with that were of the mindset "what can you do for us?" Since then I have had many opportunities to train with both him and members of what I consider my extended Aikido family and each time, I have been welcomed like an old friend and always put on equal terms with the other dojo-cho. Toyoda's group puts a lot of emphasis on building and maintaining a good relationship with all of his students and Dojo, from the largest to the smallest(mine). Over the years, I have had the opportunity to train with many Shihan and various Aiki organizations, and still Toyoda has been one of, if not the most outgoing and friendly to me and my students. If any one wants to know more they can contact me via e mail

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 03-06-2001, 12:29 PM   #7
Magma
I am admittedly biased - coming from a AAA affiliate dojo. But I must say that if you have the opportunity to take a seminar by Toyoda... take it! I won't bore you with details, but I will say this: talk to anyone who has had anything to do with Toyoda for a period of time and from top to bottom you will hear that his biggest strength and passion is not necessarily his technique, but his *teaching* of technique. That is, the growing of knowledgeable, capable teachers who can spread high quality aikido is his number one goal. He concentrates on what he calls his "methodology," where he has approached the science of teaching systematically to de-mystify what it is that a great teacher does that sets that person apart from just a mediocre teacher.

His international organization, the AAI, is just finishing the construction of an International Headquarters Dojo (the dojo previously mentioned on this thread). I believe that the AAI is the only organization with an International Headquarters Dojo outside of the Hombu dojo, but I might easily be wrong on that count.

If you want to know more, try here:
http://www.aaa-aikido.com

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.