Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
akiy

New Server Hardware

Hi everyone,

After a bit of work and elbow grease (as well as a bit of thermal grease (har!)) yesterday afternoon, I've installed some new hardware (and kernel) here in the AikiWeb server. We're now running an SMP-aware and capable kernel on Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P motherboard running dual Athlon 2600+ processors with 2 gigabytes of ECC registered DDR RAM.

I was planning on installing it a few weeks ago, but I ended up having to RMA the motherboard once since it died during testing. After I received the new motherboard, I put it through its paces again on a test server and was finally able to install it and the new RAM yesterday!

Thanks especially to everyone who has become contributing members recently, as your support helped the purchase of the above hardware!

Everything seems to be running quite happily, smoothly, and hopefully more quickly for everyone, but please don't hesitate to let me know should you encounter any odd behavior from the server.

Best regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
aikitim23
Dojo: Kyushinkan dojo
United_States
Re: New Server Hardware

did you buy 2 amd2600 mp? or xp and do the mod?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Tim,

I thought about just getting two Athlon XP's and connecting the L5 bridges on them manually, but decided to just get the two MP CPU's to play it safe. I'd rather spend a bit more money to ensure stability as well as maintain the warranty, just in case.

So, folks, have you noticed any changes (for better or for worse) with the new hardware? At least for me, the server seems faster, but I'm also doing a bunch of administrative stuff in the background. I also tweaked the HTML templates a bit so that they should be loading up a bit faster, too...

-- Jun

Old 06-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
DanielR

Definitely seems faster. Many thanks!

Daniel
Old 06-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela

Dual Athlon 2600...hope u got a nice cooling system...

I wonder , wouldnt a 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading superior to that setup , at least on arithmetics?...my response times from aikiweb have increased a bit lately btw....

Last edited by otto : 06-29-2004 at 02:31 PM.

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
aikitim23
United_States

yea otto it would, but dual xeons would have been a helluva lot more expensive.....also Jun, you might have been better off with nonregistered ECC ram, but thats just my opinion, other than that the site has been quicker to the click lately, great job tim
Old 06-30-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
akiy

Hi Tim,

Yes, non-ECC RAM would have been a bit quicker and also less expensive, but because I wanted to make sure I could expand up to the maximum 4 gigabytes of RAM and the motherboard that I bought needs ECC RAM if I wanted to have more than 2 gigabytes of RAM, I went ahead and got them.

In any case, overall on the backend of things, the load average on the system hardly ever goes up above 0.10 and usually hovers around 0.03 or so. It looks like the CPU's are pretty much idling most of the time so getting a hyperthreaded Xeon or whatnot probably wouldn't make much if any difference. I think what's helped the most, frankly, is the more than tripling of the RAM that was in the server.

Now, if I could only find a bit of time to do some of the software projects I've been meaning to do...

-- Jun

Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
DanielR

Jun, just curious - were you planning to upgrade the harddisks as well? Or has it been your experience that HD speed doesn't affect the system's response time much?

Daniel
Old 06-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
Talking Re: New Server Hardware

That's almost exaclty the same as my home computer, just no ECC ram. That's pretty weird. I also had to RMA the first MB they sent me too.

I'm an Oracle DBA by trade and 3d artist by hobby so I tend to hit my hardware pretty hard. Great setup for very little money.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #10
akiy

Hi Daniel,

Hard drive speed is pretty important, of course, on a web/database server, but I have things set up so as to minimize the read/writes necessary (ie lots of caching in RAM in both the database, Apace, and PHP layers). Watching "vmstat" shows disk activity to be pretty minimal at this point.

With that said, though, I was thinking of updating the SCSI subsystem in the server to at least Ultra160. I found myself looking around for a new SCSI card and drive just a couple of weeks ago. It would probably be total overkill, but I guess I just like shiny new toys -- especially computer parts!

-- Jun

Old 06-30-2004, 10:01 AM   #11
DanielR

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Daniel
Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
aikitim23
United_States

SCSI = mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i like, have fun wit dat setup jun.....