Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-24-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
drDalek

"Alternative" health practices?

I feel that I am almost a connoiseur of all manner of alternative health practices, surprisingly though I dont have much time for the aromatherapy/homeopathy/massage-like elements. I kind of feel that if I dont have to suffer or work for it, it wont affect me.

I do enjoy cold-water treatment though, finishing off a hot shower with a few minutes under just the cold tap really wakes me up and puts me in a good mood for the day. I also enjoy doing the "standing 3-circle chi-gong" as instructed by the western tai-chi expert Erle Montaigue. The shaking and sweating might feel like hell for 15 minutes but afterwards I am floating on air for the rest of the day.

I have sworn off milk (did not care for it much to begin with) and endeavour to fast atleast once a week for a day (this is proving difficult as I love eating )

What are you doing that can be considered an "alternative" health practice? Did you start doing this after or before taking up Aikido? How do you relate what you do with your weekly Aikido practice?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
Re: "Alternative" health practices?

Hey,

I was just wondering what the "standing 3-circle chi-gong" is exactly??

Thanks.

T.D

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 AM   #3
drDalek

Quote:
Tiyler Durden wrote:
Hey,

I was just wondering what the "standing 3-circle chi-gong" is exactly??

Thanks.

T.D
Its a bit hard to describe in words, but I'll give it a shot, look here: www.taijiworld.com for videos and a better description.

You basically just assume a certain posture and breath with your abdomen while maintaining this posture for 15 minutes.

Head is inline with the spine and chin is slightly tucked in
Back is straight and 90 degrees to the ground, not leaning forward or back
Hips are tucked under to remove natural S curve of spine and keep it straight.
Knees are bent to just over the big toes
Feet are shoulder-width apart and parallell to each other
Toes are pulled under very gently (enough to cause a hollow under the sole of the foot)
Shoulders must be relaxed, arms out in front with elbows curved out and bent slightly and hands open but relaxed with palms facing slightly inwards (as if hugging a tree or pillar)

Maintain this posture for 10 minutes, then after 10 minutes, slowly drop your arms so that your hands are roughly infront of your hara for the next 5 minutes. Slowly straighten up and gently start moving after this.

Things to look out for, include shaking and sweating and ofcourse very sore, very tired thigh muscles. Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
tiyler_durden
Netherlands

Hey,

Thanks for the swift response,will give it a try as i could not find this anywhere on the net!

Will update you!!

T.D.

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 05-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

This is fairly classic qigong. There are books such as "The Way of Energy" by Lam Kam Chuen among others. I was originally taught this by Inaba sensei - he got it from Taikiken founder Kennichi Sawai who studied with Wang Xiangzhai (see http://www.taikiken.org/kenichi_sawai.html)

I am currently trying to get to classes with Karel Koskuba who is part of a different lineage ending with Wang Xiangzhai - he has some interesting articles on:
http://www.yiquan.org.uk/

Robert