Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2001, 04:05 AM   #1
Mabuse
Dojo: Cambridge
I have long wanted to spend some time in Japan. Recently, I started studying Japanese, then I thought about studying Japanese in Japan. Then I thought, why not study Japanese and Aikido in Japan? (I bought and read "Angry White Pyjamas" yesterday and it didn't put me off.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for where (or whether) I should do this? I have heard that there are "sport colleges" that might combine Aikido and Japanese courses.

Any contacts, pointers, or experiences would be useful.

Thanks.

Richard
Old 02-06-2001, 11:26 AM   #2
Matt Banks
Hi there

Hi,

I have enrolled to take part in the sensusei course with the Tokyo Riot Police in 2002. It has taken a great deal to arrange, and apply to the course. Im now saving for accommodation etc etc.

advice

1) sort out where your going to live really early when your in japan. Its the most expensive place to live in the world.

2) If your from Australia, or New Zealand great, as apparently its easier for you to obtain a work permit. For us brits its quite hard. PLus ill have to leave the country for at least 1 day, to renew my permit.

3) The yoshinkan sensusei course, is in my opinion the best bet in japan, for hardcore training, as the dojo, is in a good area, plus you get a instructors certificate at the end of the year.

4) Best source of income, for foreighners is teaching english out there. Dont worry you dont have to speak japenese , you get paid for pronounciation and correcting essays, etc etc(most of the time). Try and get some sort of teaching qualification before you go, to increase chances of getting the job. Bar work is much lower paid in japan.

5) sort out medical insurance, on the yoshinkan course before you start. As it takes alot to get seen in emergency's if you dont have the paper work. The yoshinkan course is no longer residentual thus youve gotta find your own flat etc.

6) get as muck nookie with your local girl friend at home, as when your on the course you havent got the energy or privacy in japan to ''get some''

JOKE

7)sorry ive got to go to training, e-mail any queries to me, as I know lots who have done it.

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 02-06-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
Aikidoka2000
Dojo: SEIDOKAN
Some food for thought:
I suppose my question upon reading your post would be:
Why do you feel it necessary to train in Japan?
Do you feel as though you would be training harder, or in a tone of more serious environment.
Or perhaps you feel as though your training at your local dojo is inadequate or The gaining of new and fresh experience.
(my personal favorite)
You may want to ponder these for your own benefit to ensure your desire comes from a valid (valid only to you of course) mindset.
On the issues of travel,Indeed the last poster was quite right. Make your travel arrangement early.As for income, keep in mind that teaching English is usually available, but note one thing.It is usually long, hard, and you will get paid very little, and worked extra hard, not to mention that you will fall into the general category of being looked down upon secretly by Japanese society for the most part. But hey, it will pay the bills, or most of them, anyway. Bar tending is also available, but also of low status. In most cases a company or school will offer you a contract to work
for about a year or less. If you do decide to go, you will find it probably the most rewarding experience overall, however, it will not be a cake walk by any standards.
I hope this helps!
-Tomu

-When two blades cross points,
There's no need to withdraw.
The master swordsman
Is like the lotus blooming in the fire.
Such a person has inside of them
A heaven soaring spirit.
- Tozan Ryokan
4th verse on the 5 ranks
Old 02-06-2001, 09:56 PM   #4
Mabuse
Dojo: Cambridge
Thanks for your replies.

Tomu, my main reason for going to Japan is to experience Japanese culture, starting with the Japanese language. Aikido is just an extra thing I'd like to do while I'm there. It's an important extra thing, because I do love Aikido, but it's not my reason for going.

Matt, I'll probably want to continue with my Aikikai style training, and won't want to put the hours in to do the Riot Police course. Do you know people who've wandered from dojo to dojo, or have been to a "sports college"?

I lived abroad for a while elsewhere (Chicago, actually) and after a while I knew I definitely didn't want to stay, but it was still very worthwhile going. I expect to feel the same about Japan. I suppose you have to be something of a masochist in this way to do martial arts training in the first place.

Thanks again.

Richard