Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
which art?

~~If Aikido were suddenly unavaliable, which martial art, if any, would you study?~~

~~Paula~~
Old 04-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
JiuJitsuka87
If you are big into Aikido.... similar arts would be Jiu-jitsu (O'Sensei originally studied this before developing Aikido). There are many ryu of Jiu-Jitsu (JJ).... The JJ I currently practice is Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ). BJJ instruction varies according to the instructor, but it has applications for sport, self-defense, fitness, gi, and no-gi. Some schools focus on certain aspects more than others.

One of the main 'proverbs' my instructor uses is "take what they give you." I think that goes well in-line with the idealogy of Aikido (correct me if I am wrong).

Judo (another descendant of Jiu-Jitsu) is also a good choice. It can be for self-defense, sport, and fitness as well. Different schools teach Judo differently. Some are highly competitive, others are more recreational. While BJJ focuses mostly on newaza (ground techniques) Judo focuses mainly on throws.

Judo/Jiu-Jitsu is good because it will develop a very good sense of balance which will also help your aikido technique. Because some of the more dangerous techniques are removed from both arts, full-contact sparring can be done regularly and safely, which really help you to apply your techniques and get a feel for a real fight/attack.

Make sure to check out the dojo first though. Every instructor is different. Some Judo/Jiu-Jitsu gyms/dojos are really hard-core and brutal. Others can be highly sociable. Make sure you do the one that is right for you, and make sure the instructor has your safety in mind. Bumps and bruises do happen, even the occasional over-extension of a joint, but there shouldn't be a frequent or high rate of injury. That is a bad sign.

If you are looking for spiritual enlightenment, do yoga or go to church.

If you just want to try a new art for the fun of martial arts and aren't concerned with combat effectiveness, by all means, just look around.

Tae Kwon Do and karate schools are everywhere. Their instruction varies, some can be awesome, others can be piss-poor. But I know that most people who practice those arts aquire tremendous flexibility. A lot of Tae Kwon Do black-belts come to my Jiu-Jitsu gym to learn grappling techniques.

I think understanding basic grappling is very beneficial, as most people will seek to grab you in an attack so that they can control. By learning grappling, even if you don't want to grapple in a real encounter, you should aquire the skills to stay upright and break free of grips.

If you are having trouble deciding, check out some books.

The Idiot's Guide to Martial Arts is a pretty broad overview of lots of different arts.

If you are interested in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, rent some of the early UFC's (especially 1-5), check out The Gracie Way by Kid Peligro, or Mastering JuJitsu by Renzo Grace and John Danaher.

If you are interested in Judo look up Jigoro Kano and Masahiko Kimura on the internet. Both are influential in the world of Judo and may help you can insight on the art. Kano was the founder of Judo. Kimura is undoubtedly one of the best if not THE best player of all time.

Hope this helps.

All in all, keep an open mind. I hope you have success on your journey.

-Sammy B.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Hapkido! It is Korean. It is a combination of punches, kicks, throws, joint locks, and grappling. Sort of the best of everything. It really is a nice art.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Which of course begs the question - what is or is not Aikido. Technically a lot of what you find you can find elsewhere, the same can be said with regards to the philosophy.

Personally the name means nothing to me - I study Budo under my teacher. If the name Aikido no longer existed or he choose to call what he does something else I wouldn't even blink.

I am influenced by my teacher, who was incluenced by his and they by theirs. That wont change.

In any case I will do what I have done twice already - grab who I can and start training.

Last edited by PeterR : 04-08-2004 at 11:25 PM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Hanna B
Sweden
There was a thread on this a while ago.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=4118
Old 04-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Kensai
Ohhhh I dunno, Xing Yi!

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 04-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
Golf-do!!!!

seriously....Tai Chi
Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Probably Tai Chi, maybe Su Bahk Do (probably spelled wrong--a Korean martial art), or a style of kung fu or jujitsu. If I could, I would intensify my study of tea ceremony.

Realistically, though, I think if aikido were no longer available, I might just give up martial arts altogether and devote myself entirely to my spiritual practice, go to Nepal to learn Sanskrit and Tibetan, perhaps find a way to go on three year retreat or become a monk. Aikido is the primary thing that holds me back from these things.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 04-10-2004, 01:27 AM   #9
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
...jujitsu.

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 04-10-2004, 02:57 PM   #10
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Jiujitsu, I really like the sound of the kuatsu resucitation side to it, but It seems to be some sort of rare technique/knowledge from the little that I know. Anyone know any better?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Kung Fu

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #12
cuguacuarana
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
I think I would go for jiu-jitsu. But I plan on exploring techniques from a number of martial arts. I agree with Peter, the study of budo is beyond technique and form. After a certain level of practice, A person's form is the manifestation of his or her spirit and is unique.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:22 AM   #13
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Freaky!

Slight deviation...what would you do if had no training partner for aikido? Basic exercises and stretches of course, but as the old joke goes, its not as much fun doing it on your own.

Whats the sanity maintaining alternative to martial arts? Power gardening?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:21 AM   #14
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
win chun/jeet-kune-do

Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Yoshinkan Dojo
Old 04-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #15
paw
Quote:
Whats the sanity maintaining alternative to martial arts?
Whatever you enjoy: read, write, see a movie, cook, dance, sing, go for a walk, talk to friends, spend time with family, volunteer for a charity, donate time for a political cause....

Regards,

Paul
Old 04-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #16
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
... donate time for a political cause....
No, BESIDES Aikido!

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #17
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
I do Yoshukai karate because it's so different (hard style) and I actually get to fight semi/full contact. Given the opportunity though I'd love to take judo or BJJ as I have no experience in newaza whatsoever.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:41 AM   #18
Mark Balogh
Dojo: Mushinkan Dojo, Guildford
England
Answer to the original question. Probably Katori Shinto Ryu (Samurai Weapons) and Bagua (Chinese Internal Art).
Old 04-13-2004, 07:54 AM   #19
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~I would return full-time to jujitsu, which I trained in for ten years before coming to Aikido (various reasons). I still train on a semi-regular basis with different jujitsu folks (not BJJ).

~~Now for the other shoe, which I've been hiding begind my back: Some of you pursue other arts as well as Aikido, while most of you only speak of knowing what else you'd like to investigate. So...why don't you?

~~Paula~~
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #20
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~Now for the other shoe, which I've been hiding begind my back: Some of you pursue other arts as well as Aikido, while most of you only speak of knowing what else you'd like to investigate. So...why don't you?
Kendo: as to why not, my Sensei put it to me like this "If I had more time, or could make more time, I would spend it doing more Aikido. One art that takes a lifetime is enough for me". It took me a while to understand what he meant, but I think I agree.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:21 AM   #21
Kensai
Well Nick, there are many power Martial art systems out there. Aikido is not the be all and end all, if Aikido is all you want then thats fine, not that Aikido is not enough thats not what I'm saying.

Put it this way, I really like Chocolate ice cream and its my ice cream of choice, however, its nice, now and again to have another flavour. This is for 2 reasons, one, I like to broaded my pallet and, two, I enjoy the chocolate all the more when I have it again.

Regards,

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 04-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #22
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Kali

Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #23
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~I would return full-time to jujitsu, which I trained in for ten years before coming to Aikido (various reasons). I still train on a semi-regular basis with different jujitsu folks (not BJJ).

Because I'm just too darn obsessed with aikido and tea ceremony to fully dedicate myself to other arts. Money is an issue, too. I might take up tai chi Saturday mornings, but as I advance in the form and go to other classes, sooner or later that might conflict with aikido.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #24
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Chris,

I agree with everything you said.

There are only so many hours in the day/week. That is why I only attended 2 Iaido classes then decided to stop. I enjoyed it immensely, and was looking forward to where it would bring me and how it might influence my Aikido.

Maybe one day I will have the time to pursue another art alongside Aikido...or just more Aikido.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #25
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:

1) I would like to study a koryu system.

2) Their aren't any instructors around within what is a reasonable distance for me right now.

2a) When I found out there was an iaido class going on in my small town I started studying as soon as I could. I love it! I find it and aikido work very well together. Now if only a sensei from a koryu stystem would move near here

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."