Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Futari gakke advice wanted

I'm not sure what forum this should be in, but here goes. I have my shodan test coming up on saturday. I know I have to do futari gakke for the exam, but I've never done it before. So, if anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Futari gakke advice wanted

Quote:
Paul Mihalik (Largo) wrote:
I'm not sure what forum this should be in, but here goes. I have my shodan test coming up on saturday. I know I have to do futari gakke for the exam, but I've never done it before. So, if anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks
My friend,

I just stumbled on this post. I can't say that I know what "futari gakke" is but for your sake I hope it's something really simple since you have only got a week to figure it out. In my experience a week is a bit late to start looking at the issues of things we don't know how to do. Good luck on the test and let us know how it goes...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Largo
United_States
sorry about that. It is free sparring against 2 opponents. (actually, the test is tomorrow)
Old 03-19-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Breathing

Quote:
sorry about that. It is free sparring against 2 opponents. (actually, the test is tomorrow)
Well, then on a serious note, the mistake your are most likely to make is not remebering to breathe. You'll hit the wall i no time with no oxygen. Make sure that you keep breathing, put your attention mostly on your outbreath, it will help keep you from hitting that sucking wind state in which you thibk you aren't getting enoug air.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-19-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Ninnin dori, futari dori, futari keiko, futari geiko, are just some of the descriptions I have come across, futari gakke is a new one for me though.

George's advice is spot on, remembering to breathe is key. Just before you actually start the randori, in your head choose the uke you are going to deal with first, look him in the ai so he knows your coming and irimi to the side away from the other uke. Additionally, try not to go for pinning techniques, you'll end up fighting with one uke whilst the other is lumping you from behind. Focus more on tai sabaki and avoiding uke, nage waza is good, specifically kokyu. If you can, try and keep the uke your dealing with between you and the other one. Lastly, try not to turn your back on either uke, so a good idea to stay away from shihonage.

Since you haven't done this before, my guess is that they are just looking to see how you respond, they may even do it controlled (i.e. all attacks the same, or uke 2 waits until you have done uke 1), they may just do free for all. I can't believe that they will make it a major part of the test, so relax and do everything else to the best of your ability.

Good luck.

Rgds

Bryan

Last edited by batemanb : 03-19-2004 at 01:18 AM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
Aristeia
New Zealand
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got for Futari Gake was this. In every technique there comes a time when it's over bar the throwing. e.g shiho nage you've got uke into position, there hand is in front of you the back bent and balance broken, all that's left is to cut down. This is the point you shift your focus to the next attacker (obviously the earlier in the technique you can do this without compromising the technique's effectiveness the better).

That extra second or half a second is the differnce between controlling the confrontation and being cramped and rushed. If you wait until the technique is absolutely complet before switching to the next guy we will be right on top of you. So as you're throwing guy number one be tracking guy number two - and then the instant you throw the first uke you can be engaging the second uke.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 03-22-2004, 01:39 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Bryan Bateman (batemanb) wrote:
look him in the ai

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-22-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Relax, I had to do five at the end of my Shodan test! You'll do well. Just dig deep and remember to breath!

Old 03-22-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
Kensai
Give them a good BUDO FACE!

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-22-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
So Paul....How was the test??? Hope you did well. If you did your best...then you did great.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #11
Largo
United_States
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the great advice. It's amazing how hard it is to remember to do something as simple as breathe.

Anyways, the test went fine, and I passed (somehow or other).
Old 03-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #12
George S. Ledyard

More detail!

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the great advice. It's amazing how hard it is to remember to do something as simple as breathe.

Anyways, the test went fine, and I passed (somehow or other).
Oh come on, more detail of the paired freestyle plaese. Ubless you don't remebr it which is always possible...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #13
Largo
United_States
I only remember bits and pieces of the paired freestyle. The thing I always noticed on other peoples' tests is that they seemed to retreat so much that when the attackers caught them, they got pinned and pummeled really quickly.

So, I started off by charging the smaller of the two (who was a head taller than I am) with a tsuki to the head. I caught the 2nd guy in an ikkyo and kind of used him as a shield from the 1st attacker (who was good an angry at this time). Anyways, I threw the guy I was holding at the 1st guy and they kind of went in a heap. After that it gets really blurry.

Anyways, on sunday I noticed that I apparantly got kicked in the ribs a couple of times (my right side is black and blue).

All in all, not bad. The other two who took the test with me that day didn't do so well. One go choked out, and the other got pinned in a nasty looking sankyo.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:10 AM   #14
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Seems like you did ok...

Jakob Blomquist
Old 03-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #15
George S. Ledyard

The Heap

Quote:
I only remember bits and pieces of the paired freestyle. The thing I always noticed on other peoples' tests is that they seemed to retreat so much that when the attackers caught them, they got pinned and pummeled really quickly.

So, I started off by charging the smaller of the two (who was a head taller than I am) with a tsuki to the head. I caught the 2nd guy in an ikkyo and kind of used him as a shield from the 1st attacker (who was good an angry at this time). Anyways, I threw the guy I was holding at the 1st guy and they kind of went in a heap. After that it gets really blurry.

Anyways, on sunday I noticed that I apparantly got kicked in the ribs a couple of times (my right side is black and blue).

All in all, not bad. The other two who took the test with me that day didn't do so well. One go choked out, and the other got pinned in a nasty looking sankyo.
If you acheived "The Heap" in a frestyle of that type you did just fine thankyou! Good job. Your observation about backing up was crucial to your success. If you took some hits, don't worry about it. It's very difficult not to take at least a few shots when doing a freestyle like that. Congratualtions!!!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com