Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
Nick Sanders
hello and thanks

First off I just wanted to say hello and thanks. I've been lurking here for a while now and have been pleased with the way everyone treats each other here. It's amazing what can be accomplished when ego's are checked at the door. The information provided here has been outstanding, and I look forward to when I can start asking some questions of my own. But first, I must learn enough so I have something to ask.

A little background on me if interested...

I've been in the martial arts for about 10 years. I began at a small taekwondo dojang here in Green Bay, WI. I received my 1st degree before leaving for college, and subsequently ran a tkd club there for 5 years. During that time, and my time back at home, I worked out with my instructor as often as possible. He was, and still is, a big advocate on cross training. Since we all know that no single MA covers all areas, we focused on those arts that complimented the areas we were weak in. ie...BJJ and catch wrestling for ground fighting, wing chun for trapping range, etc...

Also during my college studies I experimented with Aikido. At the universitie I attended I became a member of their Aikido clubs. Due to time restraints (work, studies, teaching, etc...) I could not afford to do both Aikido and tkd and had to give up Aikido. It was a painful decision since at the time, i was essentially the only student making all the workouts. the instruction i was receiving was second to none. I'm generally a pretty quick learner, so we were covering a good amount of material. The instructor was just a little gal, maybe 1/2 my size. There's just something cool about getting whipped around like a rag doll by someone much smaller than you...I miss those workouts...

Anyway, I'm graduated now and things have finally settled down enough for me to find time again to pursue something I've wanted to for several years. Due to the commercialization of the tkd organization I was affiliated with, I will no longer be advancing in that area...time to move on.

So tonight I begin my Aikido training again...I'd say wish me luck, but I don't really believe in it.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 01-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Wayne
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
Welcome Back

Hi Nick,

Welcome back to Aikido.

Stop in and see us in Madison if you're ever in the area. From what I've seen in my two years of practice, our dojo is very welcoming to visitors.

Wayne
Old 01-26-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Don't read the Seagal thread, you might be disappointed with how people treat each other.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your detailed introduction and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
...may the ki be with you, welcome back and good luck on your training .
Old 01-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Noel
Sorry about the Pack, Nick. Wait'll next year!