Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2003, 06:26 AM   #1
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Bokken practice stand

Hello all,

Our dojo has a wooden stand with a tire fixed to it that people use to practice bokken strikes. Does anyone know: a) What is the stand called (I suppose I could ask the next time I am there but I'm a horribly impatient person) and b) What was traditionally used for this purpose i.e. before Mr. Goodyear covered the earth in old tires. I'm just curious.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
jxa127
Hi Ken,

A few years ago, I was at a dojo mate's apartment watching an old old video of Saito sensei doing weapons work. There was a segment on the video showing Saito practicing his cuts on a stand just like the one you describe.

If I remember the video correctly, the voice over said something like, "A tire anchored in concrete is a good tool for praciting one's strikes."

So maybe the name of this particular stand is, "a tire anchored in concrete" -- or the Japanese equivalent.

I'm not sure there's anything traditional about it. Maybe Saito, or O Sensei simply thought it was a good idea to have some resistance to the strikes.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 06-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Ken,

Check out the the last video in Aiki News O'Sensei series. I think it is called, "The King of Aikido." It was a Japanese tv documentary of Morihei Ueshiba. It shows (among other things) O'Sensei and Saito Sensei striking at a big bundle of sticks bound and placed on a stand made of thick sticks. I have attempted to make one a few times, but they always fall apart on me. I think I'll try the tire stand next.

BTW, the video also shows the Founder practicing spear thrusts against a tree wrapped in what looks to be an old Kendo chest protector. I have found a good replacement in using an old waterskiing life jacket. I wrap it around a tree and practice jo thrusts. It also works well as a makiwara.

Charles
Old 06-10-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Check out the picture on this page . Jun calls it a Tanren Bokuto.

Does your bundle of sticks fall apart or do the sticks break? There's a good chance the sticks he's using in the video are young bamboo. Pretty strong stuff.
Quote:
I have found a good replacement in using an old waterskiing life jacket. I wrap it around a tree and practice jo thrusts.
The big difference between this and what O-Sensie had is that the kendo armor is hard. It's much more difficult to land a solid thrust with a jo/spear on a curved hard surface because if the thrust isn't just right it'll glance off.
You should be able to take an old plastic 55 gallon barrel and cut a section out of it and hang that on the tree. It'll give you something a little closer to what O-Sensei was using and will show you immediately if your thrusts are solid and on target.

Back in my armored fighting days we used to use a thing called a Pell or Pale. We mounted an 8' 4x4 two feet into the gound. Added a cross piece of 4x4 at about the five foot mark to simulate shoulders (brace them up), and sometimes a piece angling forward (toward you) and down into the ground to simulate a leading leg. We wrapped the whole thing in cut up tires and practiced throwing combinations and learning to hit with power. It was fun and helped a lot.

Bronson

Last edited by Bronson : 06-10-2003 at 12:39 PM.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Does the tire spin around the post when struck? We used a similar contraption in little league to practice our swings with an old bat and the tire would spin about half a revolution with each hit. I can't imagine a bokken standing up to too much of that kind of practice, but just normally striking the tire would be useful I think, just a little bit of give in the rubber so you could get a better feel for power.

Best,

Clayton
Old 06-10-2003, 08:02 PM   #6
Sharon Seymour
Dojo: AikidoKIDS! & Katsujinken Dojo, Prescott Arizona
Howdy. According to the Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary, tanren suru means "train"

This link http://www.aikiweb.com/videos/detail.html?video_id=13

describes a video with information about tanren uchi & how to build the stand. Tanrren-uchi is described as "the forging of the spirit through repetitious striking".

A box filled with newspaper works as well. Although it won't bounce a poorly focused strike back into your face like the tire or branches, it will give excellent feedback on where you are holding tension as you receive a jolt in your wrist, elbows, shoulder, lower back, etc.

-----
There is more to balance than not falling over.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Does the tire spin around the post when struck?
In the one I described the tire is cut in several places so it can be opened up (imagine opening a circle to be a straight line). The tire is then lashed to the pole to provide padding and durability.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."