Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
Mark Nicoll

Dojo: Congleton Aikido Club, Congleton, UK
United Kingdom
Reiki & Aikido A natural Partnership?

Do Reiki and Aikido go hand-in-hand?
I am Reiki level 2, next is masters. Before every Aikido practice, I open my Reiki, and let the energy flow through. This helps me in a couple of ways. It helps me to relax more for more effective Aikido & it also helps me mentally with my concentration. It can also help to relieve those aches and pains especially if you are in suwarawaza for any period of time!

What does the collective think?

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
Old 05-22-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
People who does Reiki will find corellations between Aiki and Reiki. It is not always true the other way around, people who does Aiki doesn't always agree with the way of a Reiki practitioner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Reiki involves the opening of chakra. I don't actually understand this so I won't even comment on it. The way one could open their chakras is through meditations or have a Reiki master "open" them.

Please don't get me wrong, not that I don't believe Reiki, I just don't agree with the way it is done. I've seen too many articles in Reiki even to self defense Reiki, it is just too passive. Like enveloping oneself in a sphere of Ki to protect oneself from attackers or healing someone from great distances.

I was raised in a society that believes in the mystical, so if I say that I don't believe in this stuff I would be lying. It's just the methods that I don't agree with. The flow of Ki should just be natural with time through training of the physical, the mental, and the spiritual.

To me, Reiki looks like a shortcut, and some couldn't control it. Reiki is like opening the floodgates, if one is not careful one will drown. A couple of Reiki practitioners in a class I train in could be seen constantly "cleaning" themselves after each partnered waza. Their partner's Ki easily enters them because they are "opened". They have yet to know how to let the Ki flow through.

All I have to say is be careful, if you are partnered up with someone that has strong Ki flowing through them even if they don't know it. You will be easily affected.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 05-22-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Mark,

I don't know much about Reiki but would like to learn more. Could you recommend a good source of information? Then I might be able to give an opinion.

Charles
Old 05-23-2003, 06:24 AM   #4
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Maybe that's because both Ueshiba and Usui studied under Deguchi of the Omoto Kyo.

It is also interested that both Aikido and Reiki came into manifestation around the same time.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:11 AM   #5
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
I was under the impression that we do Reiki every day. Touch someone; it's Reiki, smile at someone; it's Reiki, etc. People are constantly effected by our energy.

Ki moves through us, and the more we extend it to others, the more that chennels through us from the earth and universe. Does that apply to the definition of Reiki?

Aikido is about blending and directing the flow of Ki with the Ki of another.

Reiki is the healing power of either applying positive Ki, or removing negative Ki, or opening channels so the body can release unhealthy cavities of Ki. (Please correct me if I'm missing something.)

It seems that there is little difference, save for the applications, and it makes sense that the two would mesh well.

Reiki, Kiatsu, Laying on of Hands, long-distance healing--all very effective, but taking an amazing ability to channel Ki.

Last edited by Jeff R. : 05-23-2003 at 07:13 AM.

Exercise and extend your Ki with conviction; feel its awesome power--just smile.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Cool Re: Reiki & Aikido A natural Partnership?

Quote:
Mark Nicoll wrote:
Do Reiki and Aikido go hand-in-hand?

I am Reiki level 2, next is masters. Before every Aikido practice, I open my Reiki, and let the energy flow through. This helps me in a couple of ways. It helps me to relax more for more effective Aikido & it also helps me mentally with my concentration. It can also help to relieve those aches and pains especially if you are in suwarawaza for any period of time!

What does the collective think?
Very very interesting thread. Been thinking of, and using this myself actually.

I think Aikido and Reiki go hand in hand very very well - at all levels of training.

The physical level benefits from the healing effects on the body as described by Mark.

The ki/hidden level benefits from the increased sensitivity to another's movements, ki extension, aura and general disposition that is gained from regular Reiki practice (Shiatsu and Qigong too actually).

The spiritual level benefits from the opening up of the self to let the divine function, which in my humble opinion is what we are trying to achieve with Aiki (harmony with the energy of the universe [rei]).

The thing about it imho, is when we release our egos and step back, allowing the Universal to function, we begin to see the true power and meaning in both Aiki and Reiki practice. As we begin to harmonise with the universe around us, the most correct technique, or healing comes about at the right moment for the particular situation. Takemusu Aiki? - maybe. I'm not qualified to say.

For Thalib: It is possible to be a very good Reiki healer without any knowledge of Chakras whatsoever. As one digs deeper into the activators of the practice, Chakra study is one of many areas that is encompassed and affected by Reiki study. Unlike some other forms of energy healing, the Reiki practitioner does not assume that they (ego) know what's best to heal the receiver. Instead they allow the highest source of wisdom to decide that and let that energy flow through them and into the person. The Reiki healer in my book is just a little bit more than an energy channel, creating a link between the receiver and the universal healing energy.

Two sites off the top of my head with some info on reiki are - www.reiki.net and www.reiki.org willl get others for later.

Hope this helps some. Just my 9.99 on the thing.

L.C.

Aiki, Reiki, Qigong, Shiatsu practitioner.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 05-23-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
Re: Re: Reiki & Aikido A natural Partnership?

Quote:
Larry Camejo (L. Camejo) wrote:
The ki/hidden level benefits from the increased sensitivity to another's movements, ki extension, aura and general disposition that is gained from regular Reiki practice (Shiatsu and Qigong too actually).

The spiritual level benefits from the opening up of the self to let the divine function, which in my humble opinion is what we are trying to achieve with Aiki (harmony with the energy of the universe [rei]).

The thing about it imho, is when we release our egos and step back, allowing the Universal to function, we begin to see the true power and meaning in both Aiki and Reiki practice. As we begin to harmonise with the universe around us, the most correct technique, or healing comes about at the right moment for the particular situation. Takemusu Aiki? - maybe. I'm not qualified to say.
What a wonderful, wonderful post. An uplifting pleasure to read!

Exercise and extend your Ki with conviction; feel its awesome power--just smile.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
Mark Nicoll

Dojo: Congleton Aikido Club, Congleton, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Re: Reiki & Aikido A natural Partnership?

Quote:
Larry Camejo (L. Camejo) wrote:
I think Aikido and Reiki go hand in hand very very well - at all levels of training.

The physical level benefits from the healing effects on the body as described by Mark.

Very well put and I do agree.
Quote:
Unlike some other forms of energy healing, the Reiki practitioner does not assume that they (ego) know what's best to heal the receiver. Instead they allow the highest source of wisdom to decide that and let that energy flow through them and into the person. The Reiki healer in my book is just a little bit more than an energy channel, creating a link between the receiver and the universal healing energy.
All relevant in it's simplest form.
Quote:
Two sites off the top of my head with some info on reiki are - www.reiki.net and www.reiki.org
I don't disagree with these.

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
Old 05-27-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Thank you for the beautiful comments folks.

Have been doing a little bit of research utilising the energy extension qualities found in Reiki and Qigong and adding it to my aikido to see what effects, differences etc. show up in my training, and I must admit that there are some interesting phonemena occuring Especially in the areas of sensitivity, extension of energy and leading of uke. I even test it in tanto randori, where it yields some really interesting results under resistance. Takes a lot of practice tho.

One major commonality that I saw with Reiki and Aikido had to do with O-Sensei and his training up at Mt. Kurama, the same place where Usui got his enlightenment with Reiki.

Some more sites with linkages between Mt. Kurama, O-sensei and Onisaburo Deguchi are http://www.asunam.com/life_of_mikao_usui.htm and http://www.reikitreatments.co.uk/R_HistoryofReiki.htm

It may be possible that it is not by accident that M. Ushiba went to Mt. Kurama to be "instructed" by the "Tengu"

Just some more links and info to munch on.

Arigato Gozaimashita

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca