Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Death in the Family

We lost one of our own this week. Yesterday we said our final goodbye to our friend Takahiro Abe killed in a car accident in Turkey. In the interview of Tetsuro Nariyama Shihan on Aikido Journal (http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/art...?ArticleID=109) Abe sensei is uke. At the funeral, with attendance in the several hundreds, Shihan delivered a eulogy which reflected the pain and utter frustration felt by all - why? Abe sama had just been promoted to Shishodin and was part of a handful of young, extremely talented Aikidoka, that are considered the future core of the Shodokan. Last year he finished his term as deshi with Nariyama Shihan and began his grooming to take over his father's company. So many people had so many hopes for this young man who was also a seriously nice guy. To many he was the ultimate expression of what an Aikidoka should be - he had kokoro. He was only 27.

Personally two images will remain with me. One of the last times I saw him was at the recent Spring Training Camp where he was excitingly telling me about his up-coming three month European trip. He was relaxed and happy although his father had him working hard. The other image is actually a picture I've had on my web site for years. He was helping a newly promoted Shodan to drink his beer. At the time he was captain of the Tenri University Aikido club. This club fielded some of the strongest shiai players in the country and Abe sensei, as Kansai University Champion, was no exception.

I ask again - why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drink.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	112  

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-29-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
The only real answer is an understanding that comes from your own heart.

The fact that his death affected so many and so deeply, speaks to the success of his life.

Let me join with others in giving condolences to friends and family.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 04-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Peter,

It's always a truly sad feeling to lose a friend. There'll always be a feeling of emptiness which will slowly get filled up -- although never entirely filled. I'm sure that, some day, you'll be able to help a new shodan drink his/her beer -- just like Abe-san did for you.

My condolences to you, Abe-san's friends, and loved ones.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States
My deepest condolences and compassion. IMHO, "why" is a Zen koan, there is only the acceptance of what is.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-30-2003, 06:58 AM   #5
KaitlinCostello

United_States
I am so sorry Peter. Nothing I can say can bring back the essence of who Aba-san was, nor the profound impact he had on your life. Your pain is a path you must walk and endure. At this moment it may seem lonely and void of the answers which you need so very much right now; it is a road that you must take. Cherish the memories and lessons that Abe-san taught you. Remember the good times, and the bad. Laughter, tears frustration. Most of all remember your dear friend for who he was in life and not what he became in death.

Hold to your heart those memories and Abe-san will remain with you. Take time to understand the feelings within and to come to peace with the questions that still remain unanswered.

It is tradition in my religion to light and burn a candle from sunset to sunrise, when some one close passes on... What good can a little candle do when it is so dark? As the sun finally sets, it seems that all light dies, and even hope. However, this candle burns brightest before dawn, when a new day and its possibilities are born.

I hope that my words have brought some comfort. You and Aba-san are in my prayers, as I too recently lost two very close friends to car accidents.

My deepest condolences,

Kaitlin

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~
Old 04-30-2003, 10:12 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Condolences, my friend.

Osu!

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #7
ScottC

My Condolences as well. I know the pain one feels from losing someone so close.

Stay strong, he'll always be with you.

-Scott
Old 04-30-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Having nearly lost one of ours to a brain aneurysm last year, I can definitely sympathize with you and your family. I express the condolences of our dojo for your loss.