Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
Kiylan
Mixing

Wondering what techniques can be used when combined with Kendo, and/or Khali( Philipeno Stick and Knife fihting)
Old 04-07-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Mixing

Quote:
Randi Granec (Kiylan) wrote:
Wondering what techniques can be used when combined with Kendo, and/or Khali( Philipeno Stick and Knife fihting)
What have you come up with so far?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-07-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
I used to study with a sensei that combined kali and escrima. All the basic principles apply. It is the tactics that change...timing, distance, speed etc..

Old 04-14-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Kiylan
Really I've only just begun learning in both Aikido and Khali, but many of the Khali disarming methods are enhanced by the wrist and arm grabs used in Aikido. Plus the movements ingrained into you in Aikido make moving out of the way allot easier- especially considering the fast pace of Khali.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:03 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Where's Lynn when you need him

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-15-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
Octavio
Dojo: Los Angeles Aikikai
Kali and Aikido compliment each other very well. Movements are very similar and in my specific experience knowing how to move in AIkido has enhanced my ability to learn Kali. The only difference that occurs between these two arts is the focus on a specific type of movement. Kali is prodimently driven by linear zoning (ie male and female triangle) and hand quickness. Aikido focuses on body quickness and redirection. They both stress the importance of maiai and timing. These two martial are very versatile and blend well together. I've been studying with Dan Inosanto in Kali for the past 6 months and it has given me a new perspective in my Aikido training which I have practiced in for 8 years.

If you have not linked yourself to true emptiness,
You will never understand the Art of Peace.

O'Sensei
Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 AM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Having studied kali while also studying aikido, I found aikido to enhance some of the kali techniques and kali enhanced the aikido angles and especially knife disarming.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Mixing

Quote:
Randi Granec (Kiylan) wrote:
Absolutely the best place to see how Aikido and Kali / Escrime can come together is in Doce Pares Eskrido. The senior American practitioner is a man named Chris Petrilli. The style uses the standard stick fighting striking methods which would be familiar to any Phillipine martial artist but once you get to close range the style is amazing. These guys can lock you up more way tham you can count usng their sticks. They throw. joint lock, choke, etc all at close range working off the striking patterns. Chris, who trained for years in the Phillipines with his teacher Grandmaster Canete has systematized things (rather like Saito Sensei did). He has put the moves in to a huge flow drill. Last I trained with him the flow was 700 moves and growing. You just wouldn't believe what these guys can do with a stick. It's definitely a combat oriented version of Aikido though. The nagles and locks they use are precisely the ones we avoid in normal Aikido as they tear you up. So they have to "pull it" when they execute the techniques. I leanred a lot in my brief time training with them.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-15-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Doce Pares Eskrido. The senior American practitioner is a man named Chris Petrilli
You wouldn't happen to know how to contact them would you? Could you tell us?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-15-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
W^2
United_States
Thumbs down Happo No Kuzushi and Kali attack angles

I've been studying Kali - in conjunction with Muay Thai and JKD (Jun Fan/Wing Chun) - for the last 6 months and I find them very symbiotic.

The first thing I noticed about Kali is the attack angles, which are the same regardless of weapon(s); they are exactly the same as the Happo No Kuzushi or eight directions of off balancing. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, imagine yourself or your partner in the center of a circle and divide it into eight equal parts (45') - that is Happo No Kuzushi. It is vertical as well as horizontal, and the two combined with movement produce spirals - voila! That should sound familiar...Nage wants to stay centered and keep Uke off-balanced.

As stated above, the attack angles in Kali are identical, and I might add very practical (which is something to consider in the Aikido Attacks thread). Consequently, I find Kali to be great for practicing Aikido responses to realistic weapons attacks - it's a great deal of fun! I usually do this while practicing the Sumbrada - a ten-count flow drill that explores the various disarms, counterattacks, etc., with a partner. This also expands in and out of ranges, as we practice it...

Sensei Ledyard, shall we dance? The next time I'm in Bellevue I mean...

Cheers,

Ward

BTW have you seen Tim Lyons lately? Just curious...