Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Jessica
Question Attention parents

Currently for school, I am doing a project about teaching martial arts to kids. If you have a child or children who practices martial arts, can you please answer this survey. Answers can be posted here or sent directly to me via private messaging.
Thanks,
Jessica

Your child's dojo, or equivalent (optional)
Your child's first name (optional)
What style of martial arts does your child study?
Has your child studied more than one style of martial arts?
Was it you child's idea to start practicing martial arts?
If so, do you think that choice was influenced by movies / TV?
If not, why did you enroll your child in martial arts?
How old was your child when they started practicing martial arts?
Given the chance, would you have started your child practicing martial arts at a younger age?
How long has your child been practicing martial arts?
Has your child ever wanted to quit practicing martial arts?
If so, why?
What changes have you seen in your child, caused by martial arts?
Do you, or any other family member, study martial arts?

Jessica
Old 03-24-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
Jessica
Also, if you could include your child's gender, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica
Old 03-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Jessica,

Personally, I teach my children and those who train under me to NEVER answer such questions. With all the cyberstalkers in the world, I find these types of questions about peoples children, ages, gender, etc, as inappropriate.

I would also have to call into question your real motives because you have nothing, other than your name, listed in your biography. How are we suppose to know who you really are.

I for one do not know who you are and hope you'll understand my being cautious. Can you please provide the following:

First Name:

Last Name:

Dojo:

Interests:

Primary Teacher(s):

Biography:

Birthday:

Currently for school, I am doing a project about teaching martial arts to kids.

What school? What grade are you in? What references can you provide to confirm this?

... Kind regards ...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
wow steven.

damn she isnt asking any personal details like your name home phone number or anything, so why are you asking her personal details???

if you dont want to answer, dont answer!

can you possibly get anymore paranoid???

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 03-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
p.s. jessica im still somewhat of a kid myself and am glad not to have any kids yet so sorry i cant help you out.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 03-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
Steven

United_States
Hi Damien,

You missed the point entirely, but that's okay. I suppose in Australia, you don't have these unfortunate problems of people, some in positions of authority, using forms just like this to find, stalk, kidnap and harm their victims. Unfortunatley here in the states, we do.

Using me as an example, all one has to do is go to my dojo website to find out where I'm at. You already know my full name, and providing the name of my children now gives that away as well. Inquery as to the types and years of study in the martial arts can be ones way to help them determine if their intended victim is worth the fight.

I can go on and on, however, being as you are not a parent and have not dealt with such things before, I doubt you'll understand my point of view. But that's okay. I stand by my inquery.

... cheers ...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
FWIW, I second Steve's caution. Beyond that, I think it's presumptuous to just send these things out without any notification of the purpose of the study, the uses to which it will be put, the institution for which it's being done, and, for the geeks among us, how the questions themselves have been vetted to assure validity and repeatabiliy of the questions themselves so that no one is wasting his or her time.

(Although rereading the original post, I suspect the project is being done for jr. or sr. high school, if for no other reason that professional research is done in a professional manner. Tossing out a bunch of questions on the internet, "where no one know you're a dog", is not professional.)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 03-25-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
Jessica
Yes, this is for a jr high school project (if you want a link to my school's website or know more about this project, feel free to send me a PM). It is an intensive research project about teaching martial arts to kids, and I am trying to get information from as wide an area as possible. This survey has also gone to the local MA schools in my area. I hope this helps to clear things up. The info gathered will not be used outside my school, and no personal info (name, dojo's name)/ contacts will NOT be used at all.

Jessica

Last edited by Jessica : 03-25-2003 at 03:19 PM.

Jessica
Old 03-25-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Steven

United_States
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your clarification and the private message. I hope you understand were us old folk are coming from on answering such questions publicly. I'll consider your request and hope you'll consider sharing your findings/project with me/us.

... Cheers ...
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
Jessica
Quote:
Steven Miranda (Steven) wrote:
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your clarification and the private message. ... I'll consider your request and hope you'll consider sharing your findings/project with me/us.
Your welcome. I would be glad to share my findings when I am finished (without disclosing any persoal info )

Sort of on the same topic...for my project, I am also visiting the local MA schools and watching the kids class, and the class I just saw was really weird

Anyway,

wishing you all well

Jessica
Old 03-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Me, too: Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
Jessica Smith (Jessica) wrote:
....the class I just saw was really weird
Now there's a shoe waiting to drop...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-01-2003, 08:25 AM   #12
one4k4
I always wonder why people actually *care* about giving out personal information on the web. She didn't mention that all answers had to be answered, filled out completly and with a #2 pencil.. They're just questions.

But I'm a big geek and know what's what about the 'net now-a-days, and don't worry all too much about giving out information such as my real name.. But my address, ssn, phone number, etc, all that's private..

Some of you who happen to use your "real" e-mail address, the one at your ISP, are giving out more than you need to.. A simple call to Joe-Private-Run-ISP and a little social engineeing can reveal more than you think from a simple login ID. (the first part before the @ in your e-mail; 8 times out of 10)

Good idea by being careful and looking out for yourself, but you forget the completly anonymous way the internet runs.. Just fill out the information fake-like.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:26 AM   #13
one4k4
Did *not* mean any of that to come across as harsh or mean, by the way.