Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
hakama embroidery

I'm just full of questions today.

Ok, so my club bought a nice hakama for our sensei, and we want to get it embroidered. I just today realized that I don't really know what to embroider on it.

I figured his name and maybe

What is the convention for this, or is there one at all? And is there a symbolic difference between colors of thread used? I see gold quite often, but occasionally white or silver and both of those look pretty sharp, too. (it's a black hakama, if that makes a difference).

We're lucky enough to have a couple Japanese students, Rie and Taku, and Taku swears up and down that Rie is very skilled at calligraphy, so I'm taking his word for it. So whatever we decide on should be easily trasferred to kanji.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Those of us who get ours embroidered usually just go with our first name in kanji. I went with my first name in english.

I usually see the gold thread used but my iaido instructor (who also owns the company that does the embroidery) has his in white/silver thread and I think it looks really nice. He used a relatively small font. It's very understated and classy looking.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
hmmm, she says to herself....better get that embroidery page up on your site....

when i was dating a karate instructor i embroidered the dojo logo on his gi and the kanji for"budo" and "mushin" on his belt.

you do want to consider pricing- machine embroidery will cost much less than hand work but if the whole dojo is chipping in a hand-embroidered garment is much more meaningful...

now how do i get my hands on my sensei's hakama to embellish....

and ps i love your hair & i'm old enough to be your mom...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
kung fu hamster
Is this supposed to be a surprise? Because if he reads this thread you might as well just ask him if he knows what his name is in Japanese...

Old 03-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #5
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
Sensei has often shared with me his pride in not knowing how to turn a computer on. I suspect the surprise is safe.

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
TomE

Most hakama-wearing members in our dojo have their first name in Japanese on it; colors differ - blue or black hakama, white or orange ("gold"?) embroidery. Sensei orders them for us in Japan; all the customizing is taken care of by the supplier (and usually done at the factory, if I remember correctly).
Quote:
now how do i get my hands on my sensei's hakama to embellish....
Aye, there's the rub

(edit -- note to self: surfing the web at 4AM makes for lousy grammar)

To do is to be. (Nietzsche) ... To be is to do. (Descartes) ... Do be do be do. (Sinatra).
Old 03-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
www.tozando.com offers personalized embroidery on hakama, gi, pants or belts. Probably a bit expensive to send the hakama to Japan for that.

There is a danish website where you can get your name translated into japanese - mind you that it's not entirely correct and that it might have a bit of problem with regards to english names.

Chekc it out at: http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc5820/japnavn.htm

(just enter a name in the box and push the button....)

In our dojo I believe that the custom is to have their first name embrodied on the hakama. Perhaps their last name as well.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-20-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
There are two other types of Japanese caligraphy aside from kanji. this sight that ypu put the link to is one of the other types of caligraphy. I wish I could remember what they were called. Found it! It's either Hiragana or Katakana.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:29 AM   #9
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Kelly!

The thing is: Hiragana and Katakana are 'sound' alphabets - a little bit like our roman letters, except there are about 46 (basic) signs in each of the two sets of signs. Each sign has a sound like 'Ka', 'Ku', 'Te', 'No' etc. Kanji on the other side are an ideogramic alphabet, comprised of a large - no HUGE! - amount of signs each with a variety of pronounciations and meanings. Therefore a western name is not easily transformed into a Kanji, which is why one of the two alphabets (Katakana) is used for foreing words of wester origin, and for western names as well. Hiragana is used for expressing words and concepts not expressable by Kanji.

Thus endif the lesson (and my knowledge on the subject ). You could ask Jun or some other japanese-speaking (and -writing) person on the forum if you need further explanation.

Cheers!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration