Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #1
Matt Stevenson
Movies and Aikido, Aiki Anime?

I was wondering if anyone knew of movies or animated films available in the U.S. depicting aikido other than those with Steven Segal. Japanese films would be of particular interest. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
paw
I can't think of any aikido anime .....

Best I can recall is "Yawara!" The main character is a judo player. In a nut shell, the series ran for 124 television episodes, started in 1989, and ended in 1992.

For more information, try

JudoGirl.Com

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
GreyRonin
My name is Bond....

I seem to remember Sean Connery use aikido-like techniques in the movie "Rising Sun". Wesley Snipes was in the foreground fighting hoodlums using karate/kungfu with a lot of high kicks. He was jumping around like a cat with it's tail on fire. Connery on the other hand was calm and didn't even once raised his feet to kick. Can't remember which techniques he used but they sure look like aikido to me. Watch it and decide for yourself.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Ranma 1/2 depicted almost every fighting style there is outhere (in a very funny, outrageous manner) including some you´ve never heard of (combat gymnastics anyone? iceskating? baking?) And I remember in Samurai II (Miyamoto Musashi´s biopic, played by Toshiro Mifune)after a victorious duel, he encounters an O´Sensei lookalike figure (couldn´t be him, Mushashi´s exploits occurred in late 16th century) who deplores Musashi´s reliance on his exceptional strength. He advices him to give up his ways but his message does not get to him at first...

Last edited by Nacho_mx : 02-20-2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
about Rising Sun, I think someone on this board said that he was actually an Aikidoka. I don't know if that movie started him on it or if he used it because he knew it. I haven't seen it, but I might now. Thanks for that tip.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 02-21-2003, 05:34 AM   #6
paw
re: Ranma 1/2

Originally a comic (manga) by Rumiko Takahashi. Bound volumes of the 38 volume tale should be available at major bookstores. I'd suggest persuing one or two to see if you'll like it. The anime follows the manga fairly closely for a season or two, then diverges. The manga is considered "cannon" as Takahashi had the most creative control there.

re: Rising Sun

Based on Michael Crichton novel by the same name. If you like this movie (and consider the fight scenes to contain aikido) let me recommend:

Fist of Legend --- which I'd recommend to nearly anyone, actually....

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to adjust my pocket protector .....

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-21-2003, 07:39 AM   #7
Duarh
About Rising Sun - I'm pretty sure I saw Connery do some uchikaiten-nage things towards the end there. . .besides some other stuff.

Anime. . .been watching for years, but haven't really seen much aikido . Well, there was one kotegaeshi in Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (movie), but that looked more like jiu-jitsu than aikido anyway. . .As to Ranma, have never seen _aikido_ depicted in Ranma, but then, I don't like Ranma very much and haven't seen enough to judge.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
a poster posts

There's the John Frankenheimer movie

The Challenge
with Toshiro Mifune and Scott Glenn which I highly recommend (Steve Seagal is credited as martial arts coordinator); Batman threw Robin into a vat of goo with kaitenage in

Batman & Robin which I do not recommend.

Last edited by Choku Tsuki : 02-21-2003 at 11:53 AM.