Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-08-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
Fred L
kata

Does anyone know a website that has bokken and/or jo kata that I could learn on them?

Thanks.

-Fred
Old 02-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
If you're OK with the Iwama aiki-ken and aiki-jo, try these:

http://www.ysaohio.com/

http://aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-09-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
You can find discriptions of 13 & 31 Jo Kata here:

13 Jo Kata

31 Jo Kata

Osu!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #4
Bpetriw
I am a shotokan student but I too have been looking for a jo kata. I can follow the 13 jo kata but need some clarification.Step #5.. step forward with the left foot and TENKAN on it...? I think tenkan means turn. Are you turning 180 and facing the other direction in hasso position left ft forward? Step #7..Tenkan which way and protect the left side of the head how? Step #10.. protect the head how (same as #7?)? Step 11... is the jo parallel with the groud pointing forward or side to side. What are the hand positions. I assume jo is pointing forward at shoulder level, left hand palm down, rt palm up. Then in step 12 the jo turns in left hand to palm up and rt grabs palm down for the rear tsuki strike.

Any assistance would be helpful.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
JW

From Blair's post it sounds like this is not a good method of learning--maybe it is best as a supplement. I have been taught the 13 and 31 but reading Blair's questions it becomes clear to me that I could never instruct the kata verbally, and certainly not with written text alone.

But here's what I could contribute:

#5 is step w/ LF, "tenkan" meaning pivot on that foot while rotating towards the right. RF sweeps to the rear to get back to hanmi facing 180 from where you started. Anyway the point is not to tenkan and go to hasso position, the point is the actual hasso movement where you push away an attacking jo.. really I couldn't describe it in text.

#7-- RF is already forward, pivot on it to the left, jo sweeps across your front and ends at your side, protecting the face on its way toward protecting the side. The movement and ending position are way beyond my ability to describe--can't even do it right with my body anyway..

#10..different than 7 but similar, and equally hard to describe..

#11 is a high tsuki, nothing weird. tsuki to the ..sternum?.. gee I feel dumb now. Jo isn't parallel to ground because on your end you are holding it higher than on the tsuki end.

Whew... anyway I hope my point comes across that to describe these things outside of a class really probably misses most of it..

but I hope I helped a little..

--JW
Old 03-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #6
mura-san
Dojo: Takemusu Aikido Espaņa
Well the only form of learn the aiki jo kata (6,13 and 31 movement)is in the Iwama's dojos,becuse it born on study of Saito Sensei learn of OSensei.

Saito Sensei is the only person that Osensei show the complet study of the weapons in aikido,Saito is the only master of aiki ken and aiki jo in live of Ueshiba.

Today akido's dojos pactise more katas of kenjutsu's ryu,kashima,yagyu,muso(for the jo)....but the aikiken and aikijo are reality aikido's weapons system art,whit a big pedagogyc system of ejercices.

Salutes of Spain sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by mura-san : 03-08-2003 at 08:47 PM.