Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #1
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Tying iaido obi?

I brought a iaido belt recently (from BuJin, as it happens), to see what it feels like.

Does anyone have a link to, or care to give a description of how to tie the damn thing?

Thanks,

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 12-17-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
Fiona D
Easier to show than describe of course, but I'll do my best! (having spent about a year doing Iaido with the full gear now) This is approximately how my sensei told me to do it:

Start by rolling the obi up fairly loosely so that it's easier to deal with - you've probably noticed they're a LOT longer than other martial arts belts. Leave about 20-30cm of the obi loose. Place the roll on your left hip so the loose part is hanging down beneath the hip bone. Then wind the obi 3 times around your body in a clockwise direction, pausing at intervals to pull it tight - it needs to be tight enough that you can hardly breathe, otherwise the sword will be too loose. Now comes the bit that's complicated to describe.... The remainder of the obi should now be just in (to the front) from your left hip. Turn it over and down so it hangs downwards and makes a neat triangle against the already-wrapped bit. Then roll it up (really a set of folds, the same size as the width of the obi) until the rolled part lies on top of the triangle. Hold in place. Then take the other end (the one that hung from the left hip at the beginning), pull it slightly to the right so that it hangs below the folded section, then bring it up and over the folds, and tuck it underneath the whole thing (so the end bit hangs downwards again) and repeat until you have no more than an inch or two hanging down. Pull tight. Then grab the entire knot and rotate the whole obi clockwise until the knot lies at the small of your back. Finished!

Clear as mud? Like I said, easier to show than describe.

You might try checking out an Iaido website, such as Kim Taylor's in Canada (www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/iai.sdk.html) and seeing if there are any further descriptions, or maybe email him - I'm sure he's had to describe obi-tying many times. Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
Kent Enfield

United_States
The way people in my dojo usually tie it can be seen at http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/Obi1.html. This knot lies flat and can be easily tightened if the obi starts to work loose.

I really hope that Fiona was joking or at least when she wrote, "It needs to be tight enough that you can hardly breathe." How can you do proper waza if you have difficulty breathing?

Kentokuseisei