Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-27-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
Kieun
technique names

Hi, it seems that different aikido organizations use different names for the techniques (i.e. ikkyo vs. ikkajo, or a technique that is kokyunage in one is seoionage in another is iriminage in yet another). Is there a comparative list that links the various names used in the more main styles of aikido (i.e. what a certain same technique is called in aikikai, yoshinkan, shodokan, etc) and where can I find that. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
You might try to find books that are representative of the different styles and compare and contrast the techniques described with the various names. Thats pretty much what I did.

Ron (still not always familiar with all the differences) Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-27-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Sounds like a project for Stan Pranin. (Like he doesn't have enough to do already.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 11-27-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
akiy

Quote:
Michael Ellefson (MikeE) wrote:
Sounds like a project for Stan Pranin.
Then again, I'm sure we here in these forums have enough resources to compile such a thing. I'd be happy to host such a list here on AikiWeb...

Anyone want to get started?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
If you really want to throw a wrench into the monkey add seidokan to the list of styles

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-27-2002, 09:39 PM   #6
MaylandL
I quite like the idea. Here are some techniques names that are used at the two dojos I train at. They are aikikai.

Ikkyo

Nikyo

Sankyo

Yonkyo

Kotegaeshi

Shihonage

Iriminage

Kaitenage

Tenshinage (sp?)

Koshinage (like a judo hip throw)

Jijunage (sometimes called jijugarame)

Odegarame (sp?) assuming left foot forward, nage enters from a right hand tsuki by Uke . Left arm wraps at the crook of the elbow and right hand takes wrist. The body movement leads Uke in a circle to the left. Nages arms form a figure four lock and then leads Uke in another circular movement to the right with Uke's right hand being moved by nage to Uke's face.

Then there's a whole set of techniques all under the umbrella of Kokyunage including the kokyuho exercises.

Happy training all

Mayland
Old 11-27-2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
I think it's spelled tenchi nage (in English anyway. most books spell it that way)

To add to the list:

sumi otoshi(I've seen some recent books show what looks like sumi otoshi but describe it as a kokyu nage.)

aiki otoshi

hiji kime

kiri otoshi (not sure about this one. nage gets behind uke from any attack, grabs both of uke's shoulders and pull him backward and down)
Old 11-28-2002, 02:09 AM   #8
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
To be added to the aikikai list(So of the top of my head):

gokyo

ude garami

ude kime nage

kanseki otoshi

konoha gaeshi

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 AM   #9
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Maybe we should possibly try to categorize them into the type of kansetsu or nage technique they are. Or possibly as defenses different attacks?

I.E.

OTOSHI: Sumi Hiji, Maki, Kiri, Kata, etc.

GARAME: Ude, Hiji, Kata, Ganseki, etc.

Then have explanations. Wheeeeewww!

Could be a lot of work. Maybe someone has a better idea.

In Aiki,

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 11-28-2002, 09:26 AM   #10
Bud
Philippines
The problem is getting mpegs or images of the techniques so the people working on the list can see what it is. I'm sure that a lot of the kokyu nage that I know have proper names for them.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:22 PM   #11
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Tenshinage (sp?)= tenchinage, some people confuse it with a form of iriminage, but it´s not!

Jijunage (sometimes called jijugarame)= jujinage, it´s natural to get confused.

Odegarame (sp?) = Udegarame.

The techiques are quite few, but the variations (someones very subtle) are endless.

Happy Thanksgiving

Gobble! Gobble!

Go Cowboys!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 PM   #12
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Just to add some Shodokan nomenclature to Mayland's Aikikai set. Also give some info on the type of technique.

Aikikai - Shodokan

Ikkyo - Oshi Taoshi - Hiji waza (elbow tech)

Nikyo - Kote mawashi (or gyakute dori kote hineri osae) - Tekubi waza (wrist tech)

Sankyo - Kote hineri (or junte dori kotehineri osae, also tenkai kote hineri) -tekubi waza

Yonkyo - (Tekubi osae)- Tekubi waza (I think)

Kotegaeshi - Same - tekubi waza

Shihonage - Tenkai kote gaeshi - tekubi waza

Iriminage - Aigamae ate (or Gyakugamae ate for sokumen irimi nage) - atemi waza (striking tech)

Kaitenage - Tenkai Nage - hiji waza i think

Tenchinage - Same (or Tentai Aigamae ate) - atemi waza

Koshinage - Koshi guruma? - not sure what waza

Jujinage - Same (I think)- hiji waza

Udegarame - Ude gaeshi - hiji waza

Hope this helps, this is only the beginning of a list I've been working on. Peter, Sean and the other Shodokan guys may be able to clarify some of the stuff I'm unsure about.

Arigato Gozaimashita

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-28-2002, 09:27 PM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Ignacio Jaramillo (Nacho_mx) wrote:
Tenshinage (sp?)= tenchinage, some people confuse it with a form of iriminage, but it´s not!
Could you expand on this - I'm one of the confused.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-28-2002, 10:51 PM   #14
MaylandL
Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
To be added to the aikikai list(So of the top of my head):

gokyo

Can you please explain Eric. I don't think that I have seen this one. If I have we may call it by a different name.

Happy training

Mayland
Old 11-29-2002, 02:25 AM   #15
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Mayland Long (MaylandL) wrote:
Can you please explain Eric. I don't think that I have seen this one. If I have we may call it by a different name.
No problem.

Gokyo is the technique also known as ude nobashi. It, afaik, was originaly designed to be a defense against a knife attack. Most common forms are shomen uchi dai gokyo and yokomen uchi dai gokyo. They are afaik standard techniques within the aikikai curiculum.

Describing techniques is not my specialty but I will give it a try.The technique resembles ikkyo in some aspects, but the major difference is that the nage's hand takes uke's wrist from the other side. If you can watch movieclips with realplayer you can watch these clips at

http://www.aikikai.nl/graden/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Greetings and enjoy training.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 11-29-2002, 03:23 AM   #16
Bud
Philippines
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Could you expand on this - I'm one of the confused.
Tenchi nage is usually first taught as a response to ryote dori. Nage moves toward uke in irimi (to the side) and one hand of nage goes downward and ideally behind uke. Nage's other hand goes upward and off balances uke upward before continuing behind uke's ear, similar to nage's arm in rimi nage. Uke is thrown backward.

Is this being named kokyu nage nowadays?

Last edited by Bud : 11-29-2002 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:28 AM   #17
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Bud is correct in his description of tenchi nage, also known as "heaven and earth" throw, heaven refers to the upper hand and earth to the lower hand. It´s usually a 5th kyu technique.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:22 AM   #18
Bud
Philippines
How about this one:

Nage inserts an arm at the crook of uke's arm. Nage cuts his hand downward, bending uke's elbow and forcing uke down.

My understanding is that the Aikikai calls this ude garami. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-29-2002, 05:58 AM   #19
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
BUd, I dont think Peter's confusion would be over what tenchi nage actually is or how it is performed. but instead over its classification. I could easily consider tenchinage as a form of iriminage because of its entering body movement. in the same way that many (or all) throws can be considered forms of kokyo nage.

the technique you describe in post 18, our association calls that ude garami also.

Ude kimi ose has been missed aswell... difficult to describe. its like a standing gokyo pin with pressure on the elbow. good for knife defence.

I think when it is pinned on the ground some people call it Rokkyo.

aiki otoshi is in our sylabus also (I think it is atemi waza in shotokan).

get low behind your partner taking their balance and sweeping their legs away with your arms. dropping them in front or behind you.

Old 11-29-2002, 09:08 AM   #20
Bud
Philippines
that push to the chin / atemi to the throat technique. what does the Aikikai call that? is that shomen ate?
Old 11-30-2002, 02:47 AM   #21
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
Kev Price (Creature_of_the_id) wrote:
BUd, I dont think Peter's confusion would be over what tenchi nage actually is or how it is performed. but instead over its classification. I could easily consider tenchinage as a form of iriminage because of its entering body movement. in the same way that many (or all) throws can be considered forms of kokyo nage.
Exactly, it is the first time I have heard tenchinage denied an irimi classification.

In Shodokan parlance it is ryote dori variation of aigamae-ate. Aigamae-ate is definately an irimi technique.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/...n/atemi_e.html

I would be interested in an expansion of the reasons you would not consider tenchinage so.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:12 AM   #22
Bud
Philippines
hmmm...so is the term "tenchi nage" fairly new? I'd consider it an irimi technique as well. Now I'm curious as to the history of the term "tenchi nage".
Old 12-01-2002, 02:09 PM   #23
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Refering to the original question, and the 2 terms, "Ikkajo" and "Ikkyo", as I learnt.

"Ikkajo" is "First Control", the original term used by O'Sensei pre-war, and is still used by the Yoshinkan and Shudokan schools. The term "Ikkyo" means "First Principle" and mirrored the change in emphasis within the Aikikai from the more martial practice of pre-war Aikido.

The same obviously applies to Nikajo/Nikyo, Sankajo/Sankyo, Yonkajo/Yonkyo, Gokajo/Gokyo.

Last edited by siwilson : 12-01-2002 at 02:11 PM.

Osu!
Old 12-01-2002, 05:38 PM   #24
MaylandL
Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
No problem.

Gokyo is the technique also known as ude nobashi. It, afaik, was originaly designed to be a defense against a knife attack. Most common forms are shomen uchi dai gokyo and yokomen uchi dai gokyo. They are afaik standard techniques within the aikikai curiculum.

Thank you Eric

You are correct in saying that they are part of the aikikai curriculum. However, my senseis teaches this technique as a variation to ikkyo.

Its a very dynamic technique to do and my primary sensei teaches this technique as a knife defence from shomen or yokomen attack.

All the best and happy training

Mayland
Old 12-01-2002, 05:55 PM   #25
PeterR

Japan
Terms like tenchinage and shihonage have always been part of Aikido terminology - they pre-date the Ikkajo/Ikkyo etc terms. Shodokan terms were intended to be more descriptive of what was actually happening. Tomiki sometimes used older terms, sometimes modern to make that happen. We of course, through having to deal with our brethren from other styles, know most of the other terms.
Quote:
Buddy Acenas (Bud) wrote:
hmmm...so is the term "tenchi nage" fairly new? I'd consider it an irimi technique as well. Now I'm curious as to the history of the term "tenchi nage".