Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-06-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
Peter Malecek
Dojo: Sei Aikido Dojo (Prague)
Hello

Hello All...

I´ve been lurking on this site long enough to know that none of you will cut my Canadian fingers any slack for hitting the wrong keys on this Czech language keyboard. Oh well, the thought that goes into most of the posts here seems worth the flames.

The New Guy

Peter
Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 AM   #2
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Hi Peter,

welcome on the Aikiweb.

And you should know after a bit of lurking that poeple are not allowed to post on the forum unless they throw in some typos now and and again.

Enjoy

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 10-07-2002, 09:24 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Peter,

Welcome! Maybe you'll let us know of your aikido experiences in Prague?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-10-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
Peter Malecek
Dojo: Sei Aikido Dojo (Prague)
Well since you asked...

Although I can't pretend to be an expert on the history of Czech Aikido my time here has allowed me to meet some committed and talented martial artists.

The dojo where I currently train/teach is Aikikai based having been started by Valiant(sp?) sensei in 1990. Although Valiant has since returned to France the yudansha he trained have taken over the running of the dojo. The building functions solely as a dojo which means a full slate of classes is available.

Although I never had the chance to meet Valiant sensei I can't but admire the attitude he instilled in his students. The combination of strong aikido and tolerance towards other martial arts/forms of budo mean that we have a strong flow of visitors who come to practice or teach. Just this year we have organised a seminar in Krav Maga, have invited an instructor to hold regular classes in tai chi and have a resident (long term I hope) teacher of Kyokushin karate at the dojo.

My aikido experience before coming to the Czech Republic was Yoshinkai based (which seems to make me a minority of one over here)but the guys don't seem to mind - they fall over the same way Yoshinkai folks do. The longer I train over here the more I am convinced of the absolute truth of my teacher's words when he said (I paraphrase)..' there is only one Aikido'.

To cut a long post short I'd just like to add that if any of you out there are planning on passing through Prague bring your gi, it'll be fun.

- Peter

Peter