Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Dothemo
Dojo: Canberra
Australia
Why do you train Yoshinkan?

Hi Aikiweb,

I hope this is the right subforum to ask this question.

Well I have been back training Aikido for almost a month now after Aikiweb members were kind enough to advise me on which style to continue. I decided to take the advice to be more vocal about my current limitations and I am. I am training Yoshinkan within my limitations now (but pushing those limits as much as possible each time). I really enjoy the Yoshinkan style of Aikido (although I believe all styles are still aikido). Specifically I love the kihon dosa katas although I find them difficult to do properly, not to mention other aspects of this style.

So my question is to Yoshinkan Aikido practitioners here, what do you enjoy about the style? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
RickMatz
Dojo: Tenbu Dojo, Wixom MI
United_States
Re: Why do you train Yoshinkan?

I trained in Yoshinkan when I was a young man under Kushida Sensei in the Detroit area. The man was like a force of nature.

Among the things that I liked were how the techniques were razor sharp, the vigor of the training and the depth of both the empty hand and weapons training.

Eventually, life intervened. A girlfriend became a wife and kids came along who became more important than my own wants. A job became a career, Parents aged who required care and finally burial.

Aikido, particularly Yoshinkan, is still an interest of mine, but from a distance. These days I run long distances and practice taijiquan (easier on the body).

Osu!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:01 AM   #3
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

After a long break from Aikido, I re-started with a Renshinkai group, which is Yoshinkan-style. I had to stop because the forward ukemi is done with the other foot forward to what I'm used to, and I ended up injured. However I very much appreciate the exposure to it. The solo exercises I found to be quite good in various ways, as well as the systematic way it is taught.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
After a long break from Aikido, I re-started with a Renshinkai group, which is Yoshinkan-style. I had to stop because the forward ukemi is done with the other foot forward to what I'm used to, and I ended up injured. However I very much appreciate the exposure to it. The solo exercises I found to be quite good in various ways, as well as the systematic way it is taught.
Hello Amos,

My teacher in London, Minoru Kanetsuka, originally trained in Yoshinkan aikido because this was the type practiced at his university in Japan. Later, he changed to Aikikai, but taught us Yoshinkan style ukemi. He taught us the following: stand in a shizentai posture and execute a mae ukemi or an ushiro ukemi in any direction, beginning with with either foot, with either arm forward, and ending with either foot forward and facing in a forward or rear direction. He had a body like toughened rubber and could do this. Eventually, we were able to do this also, and I remember the sense of accomplishment it gave.

Best wishes,

PAG

PS. I think Suganuma Sensei is made from toughened rubber, also.

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Adam Huss

United_States

I train in both Yoshinkan and a style related to Aikikai. In particular with Yoshinkan, I have found most useful the breakdown of kihon waza - in particular teaching the "why" of how things are done. Instead of creating a narrative or story, or using vague terminology, you learn exactly what you are supposed to do.

I find my training in yoshinkan to greatly enhance my ukemi ability. In particular the ability to take a fall, get up instantly, and continue attacking my training partner. Also the ability to be able to truly flow with a technique in order to allow my training partner to fully practice their waza.

I love the economy of movement. Sometimes I see nage running around doing way more activity than uke, while uke stands there patiently waiting for nage to do something. In Yoshin, you generally see less activity from nage, with more effect on uke.

Spirit. Generating spirit and leaving it all out on them mat. Despite training a peaceful gendai budo, using a martial mindset.

I love love love kihon dosa to kanren waza. I feel like that should be taught in every aikido school, along with kihon tandoku dosa and kihons sotai dosa. I am a strong proponent of requiring nage to be able to move around on his own while maintaining balance before attempting to move around with someone attached to him.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!