Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2002, 06:12 PM   #1
AtomicGrooves
Hi I'm AtomicGrooves

Hey everyone! I'm new to AikiWeb and new to Aikido too! I've been at it for less than a month! I wish I had started earlier but couldn't on account of my being a musician and all. Sometimes that bread on the table is the most important thing in the world next your instrument! I'm lookin forward to bringing that same maniacal obssessiveness to Aikido. I love AikiWeb. So many useful hints and suggestions. I actually spend time readingi entire threads. I'm learning as much as I can! I'd love to convince my kid to get into this too! It's hard but man is it fun! Nice to meet you all!

-Atomic

The secret of life is one!-CitySlickers
Old 06-06-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
guest1234
Hi Vladimir, and welcome! I'll bet your sense of timing helps a lot in Aikido... so what do you play?
Old 06-07-2002, 11:14 AM   #3
AtomicGrooves
Salutations! My fancy way of saying Hello!

Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Hi Vladimir, and welcome! I'll bet your sense of timing helps a lot in Aikido... so what do you play?

Hey Colleen! Thanks for replying. I'm a multi instrumentalist. I plaly guitar, bass, drums, percussion, piano and keyboards and I sing and dance. I'm not a virtuoso but I do all this work and eat! haha.
Do you really think that my timing in music and maybe dance will help with my training? Cool! In your oppinion for a beginner I'm assuming timing then is an important thing to grasp. Is there anything elsel? Oh yeah how much is too much when it comes to doing stretches? Is a few times a day overdoing it as long as I'm gentle about it? I gotta balance my excitement. I tend to get a little coo coo when it comes to learning new things!! That's how I learned all those instruments! haha. I'd appreciate any and all advice you could l give. Thanks.

-Atomic

Old 06-07-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
IrimiTom
Hi Vladimir! Welcome to Aikido. I would say stretch only once per day, before training, and at home the days you don't train.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:29 AM   #5
AtomicGrooves
That's interesting.

[quote]Originally posted by IrimiTom
Hi Vladimir! Welcome to Aikido. I would say stretch only once per day, before training, and at home the days you don't train. [/QUOTE

Wow I've been over doing it then.
What I've been doing is doing it through out the day. I do the same I've applied Akido stretches for han ds and finger joints and it's really throughout the day and it has helped keep my writs and finger quite limb er! Nokidding it really workds. The bass player in the band is an Akidoka and he taught me some stretches 2 years ago.

Peace

-Atomic

Old 06-08-2002, 03:46 AM   #6
Duarh
hehe. doing kotegaeshi, nikkyo, sankyo stretches on my hands is my favorite activity when I'm nervous - before performances & exams, etc
Old 06-08-2002, 06:52 AM   #7
guest1234
As long as you are being gentle about it, how often you stretch is probably limited only by how much time you have in the day. In fact, for those with repetitive motion jobs, or jobs that require long periods of sitting/standing in one place, periodic stretch breaks are encouraged to prevent injury. So once again, ahead of the game!

I am in no way an expert on Aikido, but yes, I think timing and connection are essential ingredients, and that musicians and dancers have an edge there. Dancers are also more likely to have some sense of their own body (I was and am totally clueless in that regard ) which also helps. I hope you are enjoying yourself!
Old 06-08-2002, 08:13 AM   #8
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
I am in no way an expert on Aikido, but yes, I think timing and connection are essential ingredients, and that musicians and dancers have an edge there. Dancers are also more likely to have some sense of their own body
I have heard people claim this before. Still dont know why.
I have trained with dancers and musicians that sucked in aikido like no-one ever sucked before!

One thing I noticed sometime with dancers (especially high level dancers) is that they are quite able to mimic the movements they see. Unfortunately seeing isnt enough and these dancers completely lack the necesary connections and understanding of the move, making them more lost then most of the "ordinairy" students. Sometimes this missing the essence of techniques can be so subtile that only uke notices but observers dont.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 06-10-2002, 11:25 AM   #9
AtomicGrooves
[quote]Originally posted by erikknoops
[b]
I have heard people claim this before. Still dont know why.
I have trained with dancers and musicians that sucked in aikido like no-one ever sucked before!

Wow, you got it Erik. I'll won't let my line of work get to my head! haha. Great, so I'll continue with all the stretches as I was doing it. Just a few times a day instead of throughout the day. Or just until I get to that point of "ok, time to stop but I'll do just one more!" haha.

Thanks Colleen also for all your helpful suggestions and information. And yes I'm having the time of my life. I like it alot. I'm probably like anyone who starts out. You don't want anything or anyone (friends) to interfere with your training. I do go home sore but hey isn't that the way we know we're alive?

Peace everyone!

-Atomic

Old 06-11-2002, 01:31 AM   #10
suebailey
England
Smile Hi i'm new

Hi every1
my name is sue or as i'm known in Thai boxing flashmad!
Just thought i'd let u all know who i am cos iv'e only been doing Aikido for 2 weeks it seems very gud so far.
But its much harder than Thai Boxing the grips seem to be harder to put onm never mind imposible to get out of.
Any way I'm a door superviser (bouncer) i Sunderland on a fri and sat night,
but a full time nursery nurse in the day.
Who out there trains in the NE (north east)?

Luv sue
Old 06-11-2002, 04:55 AM   #11
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
welcome

if your music puts bread on the table I hope you have insured your fingers and arms

you know.. just incase you come across an over enthusiastic nage some time in the future.

Good luck in your training, careful though... it slowly takes over your life

Old 06-11-2002, 05:00 AM   #12
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
wow, Hi sue.
Its rare to find anyone else on these boards who trains in the north east of england.

I live in Birtley, teach a class in chester-le-street and work in Sunderland

its a pleasure to meet you.
Who do you train with?

nursery nurse and a bouncer?
I have worked with kids most of my (short) life.. I know how close those two jobs may sometimes be to each other :P

Old 06-11-2002, 07:44 AM   #13
AtomicGrooves
Quote:
Originally posted by Creature_of_the_id
welcome

if your music puts bread on the table I hope you have insured your fingers and arms

you know.. just incase you come across an over enthusiastic nage some time in the future.

Good luck in your training, careful though... it slowly takes over your life

You know what Id? I thought about that too. I'll take my chances. I can still sing. If I hurt one hand or wrist I'll just adapt and play with the other. I actually want it Aikido to slowly creep in and take over my life. Anything you want toget good at has to become a lifestyle for you, no? ha ha. I'll just take it as I get it. haha. And pray to the Gods and Goddesses that my luck holds out and it's not too bad! Thanks Hi Sue and Welcome!

Peace,

-Atomic

Old 07-01-2002, 05:22 PM   #14
morex

Dojo: Shosenjuku Aikido Club
Smile Hi!!

Hey man! I am new here too!! So maybe we can learn together!

Morex
ICQ 25185640

"Truth is the only casualty of war"
Marathon
Rubicon