Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany
Effectiveness, Mochizuki, Ueshiba

Hi all,

there is a story I came across in web-forums that Mochizuki Minoru, after his 1951 World-Tour, pointed out to Ueshiba Morihei that he percieved martial shortcomings in aikido. It is then said that Ueshiba told him off for misunderstanding aikido.

Is there any reliable source for the story you are aware of?

If yes, thanks for posting it
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Effectiveness, Mochizuki, Ueshiba

Hi,

yes, there is a reliable source:

Stanley A. Pranin: Aikido Masters, Prewar Students of Morihei Ueshiba, p. 116

Carsten
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
jbblack

Dojo: Aikido of Roseville
United_States

My edition had only a picture on pg 116 however I found this:
Tadash Abe speaking with Minoru Mochizuki by Stan Pranin

There was a man named Tadashi Abe who passed away recently. I had the following encounter with him when I visited the Iwama dojo to greet O-Sensei after my return to Japan when the war ended. O-Sensei was pleased to know that I had come back safely and welcomed me warmly. I stayed there over night. That night an evil-looking man with a monk-like hairstyle came to the room where I was staying and asked permission to come in. When I gave him permission this man came in.

"My name is Tadashi Abe. Sensei, could I ask you a direct question?". I told him to ask me anything. He asked if I was really studying aiki jujutsu seriously. At that time the art was not yet called aikido. When I replied I was, he said:

"Are you really? I have heard about you, Sensei, for a long time. I heard that you have had experience in actual fighting situations. I think it is strange that a person like you feels satisfied with an art like aiki jujutsu." When I asked why he thought so he said that Ueshiba Sensei or Mr. Morhiro Saito would not be able to stand against him in a match even for three minutes because he would defeat them with one blow.

"You're quite boastful, aren't you?", I replied. "You feel confident that you can defeat Ueshiba Sensei?", I added. He said that he thought it would be easy for him to defeat Sensei and added:

"Although I have been observing Ueshiba Sensei for a long time, I don't feel like practicing an art like aiki jujutsu. I feel confident that I can defeat him with one boxing punch. I hear that you emphasize actual fighting. Is that true?"

I replied as follows:

"I have been in many street-fights but I wouldn't include them in the category of actual fighting. I have also drawn a sword and stormed the enemy camp."

Then he asked me whether or not aikido was really useful for fighting. When I replied that aikido was very useful not only for fights but also in times of war, he said my answer didn't convince him. So I suggested that he attack me and stood there telling him to come anyway he wanted. He asked me to adopt a ready stance. I told him:

"Don't say unnecessary things. There is no way for someone to defeat his enemy if he tells him what to do. Attack me as you like!"

Abe still mumbled: "Sensei, can I really strike you? Strange… You have openings everywhere…" Then he took a stance and suddenly came straight in. I dodged the blow and kicked him with my leg. He groaned and fell. I applied a resuscitation technique and massaged him.

"How can a person like you who faints when he catches a little kick last in a fight?"

"Sensei, does aikido also have kicking techniques?"

"You fool! What do you mean by such a question? We use kicking techniques or anything else. I even used artillery. Martial arts, guns and artillery are all aikido. What do you think aikido is? Do you think it involves only the twisting of hands? It is a means of war… an act of war! aikido is a fight with real swords. We use the word ‘aiki' because through it we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately. Look at Sumo. After the command is given ("Miatte! Miatte!), they stand up and go at each other in a flash. That's the same as aiki. When a person suddenly faces his enemy in an mental state free from all ideas and thoughts and is instantly able to deal with him, we call that aiki. In the old days it was called ‘aiki no jutsu'. Therefore, artillery or anything else becomes aiki." "Is that so… I think I understand." "If you still don't understand, come to me again." After that he was afraid of me and bowed to me from far off. When I went to Europe he asked me to take him as well.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Thanks a lot both of you. It's there in my edition on p. 116.

N
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
crbateman

For those of you who do not have access to a copy of Aikido Masters, the same interview passages can be found in Stan Pranin's new book, Aikido Pioneers (pages 90-91).
Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Hi all,

there is a story I came across in web-forums that Mochizuki Minoru, after his 1951 World-Tour, pointed out to Ueshiba Morihei that he percieved martial shortcomings in aikido. It is then said that Ueshiba told him off for misunderstanding aikido.

Is there any reliable source for the story you are aware of?

If yes, thanks for posting it
Mochizuki Sensei in his own words:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ight=mochizuki

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Mochizuki Sensei in his own words:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ight=mochizuki

Best wishes.

David
Interesting read! Thank you!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Interesting read! Thank you!
"This he told me and with those eyes of his!"

Can you imagine having Morihei set you straight, with those eyes of his?

Best,

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Interesting thread.

Great quote.
Quote:
Minoru Mochizuki wrote:
We use the word ‘aiki' because through it we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki