Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
gixxergary
Hello everyone, new to Aikiweb

Good Morning,
Ive been reading many topics on your site, and I find it calming, in alot of areas, to read about others with the same questions as mine.
Ive sat on the sidelines for 3 and a half years, watching my oldest son work himself up thru the ranks of Taekwondo, and then into Kyukido. My wife joined him, and then so did my youngest son, but I still sat and watched. I wanted very much to join in, but for fear of looking stupid, or not capable, I didnt. Well, 1 year ago today, I joined Kyukido with the family. It was a major struggle physically and mentally in the beginning. I kept thinking to myself, how in the world are these people doing what they are doing. I kept at it, and found my place within my training. Early on, I thought, Kyukido was frustrating to learn, until I joined in the Aikido class our school offered. The Aikido seemed hopeless for me, and almost had me beat, where I thought, maybe this isnt for me. I pushed thru these feelings, which by the way, were all in my head. ( as Im sure all of you can agree with). The frustrations came mostly from not understanding the terminology, and trying to make my body move without thinking. I didnt get it. A few months after I started Aikido, I thought I would give Judo a go. Now, that was the MOST frustrating thing to pick up on. You see a trend here? Here is where I feel I am today. My Kyukido, in my opinion, has greatly improved, because of my training in Aikido. My Aikido has greatly improved, in my opinion, because of my training in Judo. When Im practicing in these arts, I feel like I understand why Im doing what Im doing. Ive learned to breath, relax, and enjoy. I just need to find another art to help my Judo. hahahah.
I recently tested for my 5th kyu in Aikido, blue stripe in Kyukido, and I just earned my first rank in Judo. All three of these arts, although very very different, seem to compliment each other inside me. I feel great. I feel strong in mind and body. More so, than I ever have in my life. I used to look at the (ever famous term) black belt as a goal. To be honest, now that I feel Im starting to understand the real teachings behind Aikido, and what the martial arts really mean to me, those black belts, which I will get to when the time is right, are not my goal. My goal is within myself. Im not sure of the words to describe this, but I feel as if, every level of training will bring new changes inside, to my personality and how I present myself to the world around me. At 39 years old, I never thought I would be here, doing what Im doing. My only wish, is I would have begun this when my body could do what my mind was telling it to do.
Sorry for the long winded story. I look forward to continuing to read what the members of this site have to offer, and Im sure it will help me thru those times, when I start to doubt myself again.

Gary
Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello everyone, new to Aikiweb

Hi Gary,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
crbateman

Welcome aboard, Gary!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Daniel Wilson
Dojo: Jaguar Aikido/ University of South Alabama
United_States

Hey there! Welcome to the club!

That sounds like a curious barrage of styles to study at once. I'm usually of the ilk that prefers not mixing styles early in ones training, but if it is working for you - then keep at it! Everyone trains and learns differently, and it sounds like you'r managing fine.

Glad you perservered through your initial difficulties and came to join us on the forum.

All things meet in the middle.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
gixxergary

Thank you,
The school we attend, has a leadership program. Since I pay for my wife and 2 kids, I join for free. In the leadership program, we can attend all of the 4 arts they offer, so I try to take full advantage of that. I do find myself using alot of Aikido in my Kyukido, as far as one steps go.
Gary