Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States
The Aikido vs. my aikido

For most of my life, I have consciously and unconsciously tried to discover, understand and incorporate "the Aikido" of the Founder, Morihei Ueshiba , into my own study , development and growth in Aiki.
Studying the various "uchi deshi" of the Founder, reading the volumes describing the Aikido of the Founder in historical, philosophical, and technical detail, was what I believed to be my best bet to get as close as possible to the Aikido of O'Sensei. After all, weren't those close to the Founder always right?
Natural differences aside, didn't these fine people, especially the late Doshu, have the best possible "view in the house" as they learned, trained and persevered under the direct tutelage of O"Sensei?
Weren't the volumes written, the hard lessons learned, and the fact that a direct transmission of Aiki truths were given and received , and that such knowledge was beyond any reasonable doubt, or even as a discussion amongst themselves as a group? Ultimately, to the rest of us as second, third and fourth tier students of the Way of the Founder's Aikido, weren't we to simply be appreciative of such largess from such great mentors and sempai? Who are we to challenge the integrity of such experience, the invaluable lessons incorporated, and the sincerity of such people to teach the rest of us the "truth" and wisdom of O'Sensei's Aikido, and the Aiki truths from which it came?
Even as my notions of what the universe is really like, what the living history of our planet really reveals, and the true and fully revealed agendas of those I have trusted to deal honestly and fairly with me over time, have undergone profound and continuous changes, so has my understanding and honest appreciation of the entirety of my journey on the Aiki Way, and of the Aikido of the Founder.
I will always be grateful for each and every attempt by sincere and well meaning human beings,who undoubtedly believed that what they experienced and learned was true, and that the lessons they shared with me were genuinely sincere and accurate.
Even as these pioneers of Ueshiba Aikido have passed through stages of their own, I find that I too have passed through levels of understanding, as well as some progress in proficiency, and have encountered unlooked for gifts of wisdom to share with others. With all due respect, I am now one of them, doing my humble best to understand the principles of Aiki, albeit imperfectly. I find too that my progress in actual Aikido training has been transformed over time, even as my body has undergone changes, both temporary and permanent. Yet, such is not what drives me today. I now look to each new day as though I am a rank beginner, with no preconceived notions, and with energy in endless reserve!
And this is the Aikido I now call my own, taking full responsibility for its failings and imperfections, while being amazingly grateful and happy that some of my findings have caused others to benefit. This is my Aikido, where I look primarily within, for any answers, guidance and inspirations I require, as I proceed along my way, gainfully interacting with others of the same persuasion and enlightenment.
This is my wish for you as well.
In Oneness,
Francis Y Takahashi
Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Buck
United_States
Re: The Aikido vs. my aikido

Rated: out of 4.

Enjoyed reading it!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Francis Takahashi wrote: View Post
Studying the various "uchi deshi" of the Founder, reading the volumes describing the Aikido of the Founder in historical, philosophical, and technical detail, was what I believed to be my best bet to get as close as possible to the Aikido of O'Sensei. After all, weren't those close to the Founder always right?
Natural differences aside, didn't these fine people, especially the late Doshu, have the best possible "view in the house" as they learned, trained and persevered under the direct tutelage of O"Sensei?
It would be nice if that were true, but sadly, it isn't.

The basic fact is that Ueshiba changed a great deal over his decades of teaching and what we see as "aikido" today is like the flag on top of a large, stone castle. Today, we're being given the flag instead of the castle. With only the flag as example, we are unable to discern what was required to build the castle.

Morehei Ueshiba's "castle" of aikido was built on a foundation of daito ryu aiki-jujutsu and the internal methods of training in that curriculum.

Due to abdominal surgery at an early age, Kisshomaru Doshu was unable to physically perform much of that foundational work and so was never known as anyone who approached his father's real ability but as a "Do shu" who lead others by carrying the flag.

Ueshiba's early uchi deshi, including people like Minoru Mochizuki,
got the stone foundation. He and Tomiki receive daito ryu scrolls from Morihei Ueshiba.

I agree with you that even the flag passed on by later students of Morihei Ueshiba can develop a lot of personal power and can bring satisfaction and gratification in activity, but it should not be considered the "real" aikido of Morihei Ueshiba because his flag was posted on a solid foundation that the flag, itself, cannot create.

If you want to know more about that foundation, I highly suggest that you carefully read "Transparent Power," concerning the aiki of Yukiyoshi Sagawa, who trained far more deeply in the aiki of daito ryu than did even Ueshiba O Sensei. It's quite an eye-opener, especially when you have thirty or more years of aikido experience.

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Thank you David Orange.

This is exactly the kind of conversations, reflections and input I am looking for! More please!

Agree that O'Sensei's Aikido essentially passed with him, although his earlier students did a marvelous work in incorporating lessons for themselves. Giants like Mochizuki et all are really deserving of their true credit.

Thanks again for responding!

francis y takahashi
Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Aiki-Budo
Dojo: AikiBujutsu AikiBudo, Budo Providence.
United_States
Ai symbol Re: The Aikido vs. my aikido

To understand O'Sensei and the essence of Budo, you must not see Aikido as a technical view, or philosophy, it's a culture, a way of being introduced to the public in a time when humanity seemed lost and headed towards the end.

Aikido is ment to Create Peace on this World, and teach humanity the essence of their true Nature. Philosophy, Combat techniques, or weaponery are merly an expression of the true Spirit.

The true essence of Budo can be found within yourself, if and only such a tradition and roots have been passed down to you with the true essence of a warrior Spirit.
unlike most of today whom claim to be what they know nothing off.

The foundation, a strong base, is the strenght that holds a castle in place. There is no such thing as his or her's, ur own Aikido!
There is only one Aikido, a Universal path incharge with the Protection of all life.

You will not learn nothing from studing books or the way a person lived, you must put ur believes into Action and be about it, not just mention it. Dont talk the talk but actually Walk it.

The reason that you havent found the answers you seek is merly cause you've been looking in the wrong place.

Look deep within yourself for Aikido is not a technique, but a way of life and all it's answers live deep within your Spirit, not technique nor books or Uchideshi of the past, alot of them seperated from O'Sensei's true ideals merly becouse their Spirituality level was not all there, only a very few maintained O'Sensei's tradition alive till the end. Though knowledge is power, Wisdom itself is a gift.

Aikido was brought to light for the public by O'Sensei, but it was left up to Kisshomaru and the Aikikai to spread its teachings through out the world, hence forth putting much of the Old traditional shinto ways to a side.

O'Sensei, Budo, Aikibudo is where the essence of his spirit dwells.

Today, most Dojos do not master anything, cant stand, nor sit, know nothing of basic movements let alone are familier with their original natural names in Japanese, yet in 3 years hold yudansha ranks, which i find extremly uneccceptable.

It takes a life time to Master such an Art, and as for ranks only after a 10year dedicated day and night trainning of the Spirit, Mind, and Body, can a person really be considered part of such an Art in a Yudansha level, and even then only few are able to capture the meaning of it's true essence.

I come from true Tradition and till this day have not changed a thing of O'Sensei's Art for this modern age, which i find to be extreamly lazy in all they do, humanity today accomplishines less then 50% of their true potential due to their true lack of dedication and greed. Wanting to be the best in mind but do nothing physically nor Spiritually to accomplish it, it's only untill they meet one of true path that they notice, they really knew nothing at all,.

I hope in some level i was able to help guide you where your spirit searches for answers, but know that all is a part of Budo, all has Ki, and the truth is never too far from reach.

If you wish, visit my website I've separated the chapters of O'Sensei's life in a way that no one has before, and am curently writting a book in such an order to see if we get these Aikidokas on the right path.

I've hidden from the public for many years and dojos i only visit to teach, My tradition was passed down from father to son and hence forth it is my culture not a hobby or daily activity but the true essence of whom i am.
It's people like yourself searching for the truth that makes me want to bring many secrets of the past out to light for a better future.
I wanna thank you for all of your dedication towards my Master's Art, and the time well spent on its Path, Bless your heart.

Luis F. Alba
Sekai Sokeshi, Hanshi.
Aiki-Budo.webs.com
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Luis Alba wrote: View Post
To understand O'Sensei and the essence of Budo...

Luis F. Alba
Sekai Sokeshi, Hanshi.
Aiki-Budo.webs.com
Rated: out of 4.

Enjoyed reading it too!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
crbateman

Thank you, Francis Sensei, for an eloquent take on a very pertinent topic. That you can look at your Aikido as a work in progress, recognize that it is, after all, your Aikido, and be objective enough to determine to continue training with a beginner's mind and the recognition that it may bring further adaptation to your Aikido, is exactly what I hope to maintain as I find my way through my Aikido.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Takahashi Shihan my friend, thank you for sharing.

Dennis

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
kokyu
Hong Kong

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Thank you, Francis Sensei, for an eloquent take on a very pertinent topic. That you can look at your Aikido as a work in progress, recognize that it is, after all, your Aikido, and be objective enough to determine to continue training with a beginner's mind and the recognition that it may bring further adaptation to your Aikido, is exactly what I hope to maintain as I find my way through my Aikido.
Completely agree that everyone has their own Aikido as one's techniques are often a reflection of one's personality... I've met Sensei who can be considered slightly 'flashy' in real life, and their Aikido reflects that.... other Sensei are quieter, and their Aikido is gentle, but still very powerful...

It is possible the Sensei one chooses to 'settle' under has a personality close to yours, hence both of you will manifest a similar form of Aikido
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Dennis Hooker

Quote:
Clark, Takahashi Sensi, Tod Jones Sensei and I will be demonstrating our sandbox skills December 12-14, 2008 at Shindai, a bunch of folks will join us. Why don't you come over and play? We would love to see you!

Dennis

www.shindai.com
Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
To understand O'Sensei and the essence of Budo, you must not see Aikido as a technical view, or philosophy, it's a culture, a way of being introduced to the public in a time when humanity seemed lost and headed towards the end.
Welll.....but here you seem to contradict that first statement:

Quote:
The true essence of Budo can be found within yourself, if and only such a tradition and roots have been passed down to you with the true essence of a warrior Spirit.
And the truth is, I've never met anyone with "a warrior spirit" who was not deeply serious about practical technique. See Ellis Amdur's comments on the "Power of Aikido" thread: a vitiated martial art is not budo. And O Sensei's aikido was budo.

Quote:
The foundation, a strong base, is the strenght that holds a castle in place. There is no such thing as his or her's, ur own Aikido!
There is only one Aikido, a Universal path incharge with the Protection of all life.
Yes, theoretically, but in fact, aikido has more divisions and splits than the Baptist church. It really is full of a lot of contentious people who split from one another on both philosophy, technique and culture and start their own organizations almost every day. Some of those people might be wrong, wouldn't you think? So not everything called "aikido" really is even "aikido," much less "O Sensei's aikido". My teacher said, "No one does Ueshiba's aikido but Ueshiba (Morihei)."

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
crbateman

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
Clark, Takahashi Sensi, Tod Jones Sensei and I will be demonstrating our sandbox skills December 12-14, 2008 at Shindai, a bunch of folks will join us. Why don't you come over and play? We would love to see you!

Dennis
Thank you, Sensei. I'll be there in one capacity or another. Hopefully, my shoulder will allow me on the mat. If not, I'll be a bleacher bum...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Excellent statement Sensei!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM   #14
Aiki-Budo
United_States

David
Pay close attention to the Kanji's I use, Though Budo, and Aikido are the same there is a deeper mind set of a Spirituality, and perfection of skill that must be achieved in Budo. Unlike modern Aikido where teachers themselves don't know the diferrence from Ushito to Ura, Irimi from Omote, or let alone a simple and proper Sankakutai, here i'll translate, Hidari or Migie Kamae, and espicially the Tai Sabiki i've seen in many schools complety forgotton, or misnamed yet understood.
Hence forth Warrior Spirit is all of the above, old saying dont speak to real Warrior about war, unless you've actually walked it's path, and thank you the only reason I opened this was to shine a brighter light on whats allready known, and bring to light whats been forgoten, so it's always good to see where the mind set of the public Dojo people is, compared to those whom been doing this for over three genarations, under O'Sensei's guidence, that of his closest students, and the Warrior Traditions of their families that can be traced back for thousands of years.

Bother I cant express how much you've made me laugh with that last comment, yes, yes, yes, my heart cries what my eyes can't, seeing the division thats occured throught out the years, between those of Budo, Aikikai, Yoshinkan, and the many other's of the path that separated on their own way still hidding amongst the shadows, we are all members of this Path Aiki, Aikido, yet many have forgetten the true meaning behind O'Sensei's teachings, and the love he held for everything in this Universe.
Not all is lost, there are still some that remain though few true to his ways to the point of perfection and like Saito, son, said if we try our best you can become Greater then O'Sensei, which was hard for me to accept hearing, but it's verry true and I seen happen with all whom i've encountered on my path. You see we struggle so much to Master what we know that when we teach it it's a nutral gift just as walking, though it's up to the students Spirit to capture its essence, not just the body or mind, you speak of teachnique like averge Aikidoka, but Ki is much more then physical strength, a current mind set of spirit must exist before any attemp of executing a technique and as such it must be in order with all universal principles, not just move right left keeep you back straight now throw which is wat is taught today.
Your teacher was right to a point, O'Sensei's Spirit, was greater then we can imagine the hights of his spirituality surpassed all of histories Warrriors. In both education, Phisical Trainning, and Spirital Levels. He gave us the short cuts to achieve his enlightment often saying "Theres no need to train, and torture yourself as hard as i do, simply listen to me well". It's there were we must focous our trainning. Budo is a teaching of all things in the Universe, Aikido it the path of Peace, Harmony, and Unconditional Love. There are many paths that lead to the top of Mount Fuji, its up to us on how we get there.
It's our personal experience that makes us whom we are, but it's how we use our gifts and go about things that make our charector, and Spirit shine fourth.

Let's not forget the reson behind this topic and not focouse the attention on me, a man here is speaking of his personal journey, and how he's been blessed through out the constant struggle of his path, finally achieving a level where he is of great use and blessing to those whom sorround him and ecnocounter his pressence.

Clark,
The great Scholar, and old friend let's not forget that in Aikido there exists no more competition from the moment our hearts are set on its goal, the only competition that exists is that within thyself, hence forth Kill the enemy within.
Im not to sure what type of boxing sandbox is but if its anything compared to Mauy Thai, regular boxing, or kickboxin, which im thinking it might I recommond you dismiss any sort of participation at all in such or combat sport event, in the bleachs it ok actuall contact is againt the nature of our verry own teachings, though i do miss the old days of flawless knock outs, TKO's, and towels being thrown from my opponets side, reacting to my opponets with the same intetion towards me not any higher becouse simply fightinging one apponent doest seem fair especially for people of our kind whom are use to 10 or more opponents effectively executing technique and making them tap all at once mounted on top of each other as the mountain rock layers of our lands.
So tell your friends to dedicate their time on wiser things then a nose bleed if its just a lil contac they want gather 12 ukes, with no mercy ask them to attack. Its a lil safer for everyone if your a good Nage then sending people to the hospital now a days. I hear broken noses, eye lids, jaws, eye sokets, ribs, wrists, knees, elbows, and knecks are very expensive to fix now a days.
Especially with people that cry by mearly punching a tree at full strength with their bare hands, they cant be considered fighters at all simply a mirage of the old brawlers, defeating such a man can give you no personal honor or fullfillment.
If its ruthless action they seek merly go to the worst neighborhood, no gun cant cheat, and begin to clean up streets, one or many at a time, then not only will you be providining a greater good for the people, but it'll be an unforgetable event, and before any one tries to write back regarding this yes i do speak from perfect experience. There is no practice as the real event, not that of walking in a dojo for a mere one on one fight no, no, that of walking into a group of theves whom got knives and are about to rob some ones mother, aunt, sister, or brother, destroying the verry essence of their existince provides a better feeling inside then that of knocking out a pretend fighter in a ring. People that are fighters are not Warriors. Fighters know they'll return home, a Warriors says his farewell incase he doesnt, hence fourth we must avoid violence lets not forget Aikido is an Art of Peace, not ment to be used against humanity but to Protect it, and helps its members learn more about themselves and the Universe they live in, any form of physical combat with the intention to hurt an apponent holds no place in this Art for any Yudansha, or Kyu level. I hope this is well understood.

Bless every one who read this and those whom hearts are on the right path.

Luis F. Alba.
Sekai Sokeshi, Hanshi.
AikiBujutsu AikiBudo, Budo Providence.
Aiki-Budo.webs.com
ShintoAiki@Live.com
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
Aiki-Budo
United_States

Escuse the bad grahmer just typing as my thoughts flow, and the double posting I'm still getting used to this system,
Ushiro
Tai Sabaki
are the two words i misspelled, it is important to correct such a small mistake, for just a letter can change the character behind the meaning of a Kanji.

Luis F. Alba.
Sekai Sokeshi, Hanshi.
Aiki-Budo.webs.com
ShintoAiki@Live.com
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #16
Aiki-Budo
United_States

David
Another thing so my mind can be at rest, O'Sensei's real Name was Moritaka, it was when he met Onisaburo that Morihei, came about. The last name I find is only misspelled in the States, Uyeshiba, is the proper spelling of the last name.

Thank you, it's rare to find those whom unserstand that there is more to the Art then what is currently understood, the people here can thank you for inspiring me to share such a small fact to them, but such a huge one to me, you wouldnt want me to spell ur first name Davi and leave out the xtra D for the rest of ur life or even worst if I move the words around Diva and leave out the xtra D, but its a common mistake which i hope all can begin to correct.

Luis F. Alba
Sekai Sokeshi, Hanshi.
Aiki-Budo.webs.com
ShintoAiki@webs.com
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
Dennis Hooker

Quote:
Thank you, Sensei. I'll be there in one capacity or another. Hopefully, my shoulder will allow me on the mat. If not, I'll be a bleacher bum...
Sorry the date is It is October 23-34-25.

www.shindai.com
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Dennis Hooker

Jun please show the link where the discussion was split off.

Last edited by Dennis Hooker : 09-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.

www.shindai.com
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Dennis Hooker

Now I get it!

Today's Aries Horoscope:
Sep 01, 2009
Today is a great day for you in which you should enjoy a great deal of playful conversation with others, dear Aries. Fantasy is likely to play a large role in the events of the day and you may find yourself daydreaming as you walk down the street. Don't bother with reality today if you don't have to. You are much better off keeping the tone of things light and playful. Enjoy your fantasy world and feel free to invite others to it.

www.shindai.com
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Luis, you really NEED to run all your website text through a good English language spellchecker.
Just browsing this page http://aiki-budo.webs.com/aikibudo.htm I'm down to the fourth paragraph and stumbling over at least seven errors.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
Dennis Hooker

I'm done with this

www.shindai.com
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
I'm done with this
I was enjoying the interchange!

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #23
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Done before calling Dr. Andrade? You'll be missing some of the enchantment of your horoscope.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."