Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-20-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Can other Martial Art explain Aikido?

I have continued to segment the different techniques found in Aikido by the feel I got for learning Judo, Jujitsu, and Karate from my first teacher. Is it valid to explain what we do in Aikido by the techniques found in other arts?

Also, if research in other arts explains many of our Aikido techniques and there is a scientific explanation thereof, should we study on our own if our Sensei's forbid us to speak of these things in class or to our friends in Aikido?

What do you think?
Old 03-20-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
During a class it makes sense to place limitations on content and context, however beyond class time I feel it is important to explore your martial arts training in your own way.

I'm not sure if you can explain aikido through other arts, but I think the more situations in which you use aiki, the better your understanding becomes. Therefore, applying the principal of aiki as a counter to or expansion of techniques from other martial arts is a healthy endeavor.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:12 PM   #3
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
Quote:
Is it valid to explain what we do in Aikido by the techniques found in other arts?
then...
Quote:
should we study on our own if our Sensei's forbid us to speak of these things in class or to our friends in Aikido?
Others reply may be triggered by your use of "forbid" but mine isn't.

I think it is valid to you because of your background. For those who only know aikido, keep it simple and relate the issues of maai and balance to aikido techniques, i.e., a common frame of reference.

And study it outside of class. I think if you introduce the judo and karate into class you will be disrespecting your Sensei's ability to teach these concepts with the aikido he knows. And your classmates will suspect you, at worst, of being a know-it-all.

Now that I've put these thoughts together in words, I think the research is valid and sharing the fruits of it [i.e., formally teaching it ] with others is not.

My two cents.

Chuck
Old 03-21-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
Edward
Thailand
Lao Tzu said:
"Those who know don't speak
Those who speak don't know"

The words of Lao Tzu apply to aikido and any other MA with the -do suffix, claiming to be a "way".

Many important theoricians in aikido have the same thing in common, their aikido sucks. The real masters do not understand nor explain, but feel aikido.

As Osensei said:

"Aiki cannot be exhausted
By words written or spoken
Without dabbling in idle talk
Understand through practice"

So the best way is, don't think, just practice, practice, practice....

Cheers,
Edward

Last edited by Edward : 03-21-2002 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #5
thomasgroendal

Dojo: Hoshu Portland Dojo
United_States
Aikido is an attitude.
To what end to you bring the conflict. Is it brought to peace through a technique designed for damage, that was modified, or a technique that was designed to make peace.
On the other hand, there are enough good judo/jujutsu/karate/whateverka to probably match the numbers of aikidoka who can truly effectively take in an angry offensive opponent and neutralize their attack, without doing anything offensive enough to leave them a reason to fight. The difference is that in learning how to neutralize somebody's desire to murder you on the mat, that tends to build instincts that work off the mat, before you are in a knife fight etc. Learning to have the attitude necessary to apply ikkyo without offending your opponents sense of attack will help you when you fight with your spouse, kids, dog, boss, and whatever else mistakenly tries to take a bite out of you before you go to bed today....

Life is choice.