Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
jurat13
United_States
New to Forum and Interested in Aikido

Hi Everyone,

My name is Walter Boyd. I am new to this forum, and I reside in the Washington DC Metropolitan area. About 10 years ago, I studied Muay Thai for two years under the Jeet Kune Do system. Now at 31, I am interested in learning and art that does not predominantly rely on brawn.

I hope to reach out to everyone to help me learn more about Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu, Roppokai Aikijujutsu, Yoshinkan Aikido, Tomiki Aikido, and Ki based Aikido.

Best regards,

Walter Boyd
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Re: New to Forum and Interested in Aikido

Daito-ryu: Mixed bag. Some people think it has the good stuff from the "old days". On the other hand, my impression is that it's not as well-regulated as aikido (despite the koryu trappings), and it can be very easy to stumble into a godawful school.

Roppokai: No idea, really. I think I've only heard of this as something related to Daito-ryu. Not sure.

Yoshinkan aikido: The primary pre-war style, founded by Gozo Shioda-sensei. Heavy drilling of basics, and a different (some say more linear) application of technique. People also often remark that it has a clearer relationship to aikijutsu, both because of the period of Ueshiba-sensei's teaching that it came from and because Shioda-sensei independently studied the art. I cannot verify this.

Tomiki aikido: Founded by judo and aikido master Kenji Tomiki. The only major style of aikido to feature judo-style shiai -- with rules modified to prevent people from just using judo techniques, of course. (I think it's illegal to grab the gi, and one of the competitors has a knife that keeps the other person at aikido distance.)

Ki-based aikido: I'm guessing you refer to Shin Shin Toitsu (or "Ki Society") aikido, founded by Koichi Tohei-sensei -- a real "superstar" of aikido history, and generally considered one of Ueshiba-sensei's most talented students. I've heard conflicting reports about this style; some say it's very solid and powerful, while others say it's worse than the worst aiki-fairy dancing that certain Aikikai schools can descend to. I have no idea which is a more accurate picture.

Incidentally, I think a lot of people would object to the idea that Muay Thai "predominantly" relies on brawn. Then again, I kind of see what you mean. Certainly if the "aikido is principally a weapons-retention system" hypothesis bears out, that would be true -- a bladed weapon is a great equalizer for strength and size.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Welcome.....
have fun with the forums (keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
Jun has made a nice site here, with a lot of friends who have never actually met face to face....the net is funny like that.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
Lan Powers wrote: View Post
Welcome.....
have fun with the forums (keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
Jun has made a nice site here, with a lot of friends who have never actually met face to face....the net is funny like that.
Lan
Yeah. And lots of enemies who don't really know what they are fighting about.The net is funny like that, too.
Oops. Knocked over my salt shaker.

Welcome....I'll keep an eye on your posts.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
jurat13
United_States

Paul thank you very much for your informative response! And thanks for welcoming me Jennifer and Lan.

Best regards,

Walter
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
mikeg

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
Tomiki aikido: Founded by judo and aikido master Kenji Tomiki. The only major style of aikido to feature judo-style shiai -- with rules modified to prevent people from just using judo techniques, of course.
(my emphasis)

Why do you say this? Would judo techniques be especially effective against aikido? I know little about judo.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
akiy

Hi Walter,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
dps

Quote:
Lan Powers wrote: View Post
(keep a grain or two of salt handy as well)
http://www.saltauthority.com/

David

Go ahead, tread on me.