Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
skinnymonkey
Dojo: Black Walnut Aikido - Ashland, OH
United_States
Aikido Podcast!

Hello everyone,

My instructor and I have noticed that there are no Aikido specific Podcasts available out there. We decided to remedy that by starting our own Aikido podcast. You can check it out at

http://www.usaikido.com/

We have an interview with Seiji Tanaka sensei from Colorado and with Paul Linden from Ohio. Please take a listen and let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Jeff D.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States
Re: Aikido Podcast!

I like the music at the begining, very soothing. Looking forward to more podcasts!

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
skinnymonkey
Dojo: Black Walnut Aikido - Ashland, OH
United_States

Thanks Mike! We're going to shoot for about one every month for now. I'll post here again when we've got a new one!

Jeff D.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Adam Huss

United_States

Here's a four year old bump for you...

Link to some Aikido podcasts, including one from my teacher:
http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_...p?pod_id=45858

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Jake McKee

I enjoyed the podcasts.
What happened guys Jeff?

Did you make your podcast fortune and then retire?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

I found them on the itunes store as well. They were great some great koens and concepts to chew on for many, many classes. Also gave me a nice insight into the Tomiki world (hithero unknown to my) and hope to remedy on the mat sometime soon

Please sir can we have some more
dan

Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Thumbs up Re: Aikido Podcast!

Those podcasts were a great introduction to Aikido for me, before I even stepped into a dojo. I've listened to them dozens of time since, and hear something new every time.

Jeff Davidson and Bob King Sensei put together a really nice collection of interviews there - a great contribution to the whole community. I hope they (or someone else) might do more some day.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
CarrieP

United_States

More podcasts, yay! However, I can't get that link to work, so I'll have to check it out later.

I am a podcast listener and producer from way back.

The best thing about podcasts is they are intensely personal and rules-free. So the "guidelines" above are made to be broken. Do what you want, because there's no restrictions on form, content, or how often you publish.

That being said, I have some advice to offer if you'd like. FWIW, grain of salt, and all that jazz.

* Itunes is your friend. It's the way most people download and listen to podcasts. That being said, it's helpful to have direct download from your Web site, too.

* Try to stick to a regular schedule as much as possible, even if that's only once a month. The more regularly you put out content, the more people will listen, and the less likely you are to stop producing podcasts altogether (aka "podfade").

* Community is key. having a place for listeners to give feedback and for you to respond to them goes a long way towards people becoming loyal fans rather than casual listeners. If your site does not have a forum, you could even simply post here at Aikiweb every time you've got a new show coming out.

* Interviews are nice, but it's also nice to mix up the format with other stuff. Whatever the "stuff" may be.

* Shorter podcasts, of a half hour or less, tend to be received better than longer blocks of an hour or more.

* Find like-minded podcasts, if not aiki podcasts then Zen or martial arts casts, to build relationships with. It's fun because you can swap promos, and share listeners. And, since there's no "time slots," podcasting is a collaborative, not a competetive, environment.

* It's fun! Have fun!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Jake McKee wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the podcasts.
What happened guys Jeff?

Did you make your podcast fortune and then retire?
LOL! Those who podcast, much like those who practice aikido, don't do it for the money, because there really isn't any.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Jake McKee

Quote:
Carolyn Parkinson wrote: View Post
LOL! Those who podcast, much like those who practice aikido, don't do it for the money, because there really isn't any.
I guess the emoticon didn't convey my sarcasm too well.

But hey, those were some good podcasts tips there.
Sounds like we might have a new aikido podcast producer!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Hey I just went to the site to look up a few podcasts, but the domain says it is for sale! What happened ???

If you've given up the site, are you going to put the past podcasts up somewhere? The would be nice to keep around.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Linda Eskin

United_States

I believe they are still available on the iTunes store.

iTunes is a free app, and the podcasts are free in the store. :-)

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Last time I checked they were listed on ITunes, but no longer available for download.
Not enough activity/interest??

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
Linda Eskin

United_States

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Last time I checked they were listed on ITunes, but no longer available for download.
Not enough activity/interest??
I am seeing them there now, available. I found them by searching from the main page of the store, for Aikido. The actual name is "Aikido - The Way of Harmony Podcast".

Go get 'em! :-)

*** UPDATE ***

Acck! I just tried clicking on one, and it says it's not available in the US store. I can see them, but I can't get them. Yikes! I already have them, but I'm sure going to back them up.

I'll try writing to iTunes support tomorrow, and see if they could be reinstated. The content is not at all outdated, and even if they aren't hugely popular, they are a very valuable resource. Eeek.

Last edited by Linda Eskin : 05-05-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: New info.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
Linda Eskin

United_States

I just sent this note to the iTunes Store Support for Podcasts. Cross your fingers. I'll let you know what they say.

"I already have this set of 9 podcasts from 2007, but friends are trying to download them, and cannot.

I can see them when searching the store, but the message when I try to download them says "Your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store."

I am hoping they have not been pulled permanently, due to age or numbers of downloads. These podcasts are a very valuable resource for anyone interested in learning about Aikido (a Japanese martial art). The content is not dated at all. They are long, in-depth interviews with some of the world's most respected instructors, about the history, meaning, and future of the art.

If there is just a temporary database problem, fine... But if they've been taken down I hope you will consider making them available again. They are a real asset to the community.

Please let me know what the situation is, so I can get back to the people on AikiWeb.com, and locally, who are trying to access them.

Many thanks,
Linda"