Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
ccain85
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
these guys are kidding right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1tPLoHg5s

To win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: these guys are kidding right?

What do YOU think?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

a) they are not kidding... money is changing hands which makes it serious business.

b) I would be very careful who I worked on with stuff like this... Notice that I do not discount it, it's just that the number of people who can do anything like it is minute, it's highly unlikely to be a young instructor, and the potential for abuse on the part of the teacher is too great.

c) if you are interested in something like this, look at the Systema folks. They have a very systematic way of training it. If you train consistently with their top instructors, you can get some interesting stuff in just a few years. I was at a workshop with one of Vlad's senior instructors a few weeks ago. We were doing a knife drill designed to develop sensitivity. One stood in front of ones partner and he took a practice knife (metal, not plastic) and slowly poked you. The object was to start developing body sensitivity. There was breathing involved. Most of us were not very experienced and we tended to move the effected body part just about the time or slightly after we felt the actual physical contact.

But one of my former Aikido students has become a Systema instructor and has been training very hard for a couple of years. When I worked with him, he started moving the target body part at about the time that I started moving. He could sense my intention and actually could tell pretty much where I was targeting, well before it became apparent visually.

I aslo did an exercise with him the other day which was basxed oin the same general principles. I held a stick in my hand horizontally. he held his hand above mine. I would let go of the stick and he consistently caught it. Not only that he pretty much closed his hand on the stick just as my hand opened, preventing it from falling at all. He was also able to duplicate this, albeit with w decreased success rate, with his eyes closed.

This kind of sensitivity can be taught and practiced. But I would only work on this kind of thing with someone I really trusted. When you start getting into the "magic" so to speak, you have to really trust the teacher. To much potential for abuse. This is especially true if he really can do some of this. The temptation to use it for self aggrandizement rather than for the benefit of the students is just too great for most folks.

On the other hand, I would not write this type of thing off. It's just that very few folks can do it and it is the result of training on the part of BOTH parties. I do not think that there are teachers I have seen who can dump a non-trained person who just dropped in off the street using this type of energtic communication. Most folks are just about comatose they are so not sensitive. But this kind of thing is possible with folks who have trained quite a bit. The intuitive portion of what trained folks do is based on developing a great sensivity in their perception. That's why it is so hard to beat them. That sensivity can be the way in which someone very high level can move your mind in order to move your body.

Being at the very beginning level of Systema practice, I get to experience the exercises thay use to start one on the way to developing real sensitivity. I get to train with folks who are way down the line in the process. If you work with one of Vlad's seniors you can experience a partner who seems to know what you will do just as you decide on it. They are pretty amazing folks. At that level. someone more accomplished, like Vlad or Michael, can used that sensivity as the door to communicate and produce movement. O-Sensei did the same thing with the deshi but didn't have a systematic progressive method for teaching it.

I have no idea who the guys in the video are... It's a lot more likely that they are bogus than for real... but I keep an open mind because there are folks who can do this typoe of thing and I have trained with them. On the other hand, it's usually more subtle than energy balls at ten feet. Caveat Emptor!

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Ha, i love it.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Cyrijl

i got a bridge i'd like to sell ya

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Hogan

Wonder how long they practiced to get their choreography right??

(And I am afraid for this country when people watch that & applaud - those people watching are really gullible).
Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Did it strike anyone else that the demo was done for entertainment purposes?

I like the, er, TAMAGERI effect.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
acorreia

Brazil

Very Funny !!! LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
John Hogan wrote: View Post
Wonder how long they practiced to get their choreography right??

(And I am afraid for this country when people watch that & applaud - those people watching are really gullible).
Actually I thought the choreography was poor. The movements of the guy with magic powers does not relate to how his blind uki moves 7 out of 10 times. Its one of the more poor examples on youtube.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

The laughing is a clear indicator, along with the big goofy grins, and over acting, that it was done for entertainment purposes. It's a shame that we see so much pretending in Aikido that we can't quickly discern a joke when we see one.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Hogan

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
The laughing is a clear indicator, along with the big goofy grins, and over acting....
Sounds like most aikido classes....
Old 02-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

I found it really funny. I started laughning from beginning to the end.