Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Ken Zink
Dojo: Komyozan Dojo - Boise, ID
United_States
Specific question on Ukemi

Ok I have a question for you more experienced out there who have come to the point and moved past it (if it was ever a problem for you!). When being Uke I have been taught to attack Nage sincerely and that throughout the motion I should continue to maintain that sincerety of intention and stay connected and pay attention to any mistakes that Nage makes. Many times while in a motion I can feel those mistakes, which can be them backing up (which is simple to fill in) or more frequently I'll feel Nage pushing. When Nage pushes on me as Uke it of course grounds me but I don't know how to make use of that beyond being grounded and pushing that line of force myself. So my question is, how can you as Uke take advantage of Nage pushing on you during a technique without turning it into a pushing match?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Specific question on Ukemi

same way nage would if you were pushing him: recieve it and redirect it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Janet is right on the money.

In addition, while keeping in mind what Janet had to say (for the rest of your life actually), you might also want to never forget that ukemi is a skill that is learned in many ways - most of them being unexpected and nearly all of them being only identifiable in hindsight.

I find that if one can keep this in mind, one can be more open to the many different types of problems that every different uke brings to the training (i.e. not get stuck on them). This sometimes gives us the opportunity not feel pressured to fix every nage or to have every nage fix us. This is important because, especially at the earlier years of training, there is a whole lot of stuff that is problematic but that actually shouldn't be part of Aikido training at all (e.g. personality conflicts, ego problems - things often related to "pushing" matches). These things, in my experience, are often making problems where there should not be problems. Additionally, they are often best corrected by a strong teacher that says face to face in front of everyone, "Hey, enough with the ego, stop doing that now." However, you rarely get that (in most places). As such, with very good intentions, you are stuck dealing with false problems, often, and if you do not have some sort of "freeing" element to your training, you get stuck trying to solve these problems as if they are real EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY SHOW UP (which is all the time).

So, yes, train mindfully, but along the way, be mindful that nearly all problems (when training mindfully) reconcile themselves via the maturation process in a very natural (almost "hands-off") kind of way (especially when mindful).

FWIW,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Al Williams
Australia

When taking ukemi it is important that you give as much as you take. That is- tell nage when they are open to counter or off balance. If you're able, do this during the technique itself. You are uke to help nage address any problems with their throws etc.

One question- do you mean "push" with strength or "catch" with hip? If it's push- do they leave themselves open to a counter?

Never ever give yourself to nage- make them capture your centre. Stand strong, according to the level of both aikidoka. If you're not captured- don't fall. Having a dance is fun but not akkido.

TRAIN HARD AND OFTEN
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

How many times have I had a nage get mad at me for not falling!? Here I am, 5'2" and I get yelled at by men twice my size bcause I don't fall down if I don't have to fall down. I have been told to my face that this is Bad Ukemi.Well, if you give me my center back and I take it, whose fault is that? If you give me my center back and I can take yours, is that bad ukemi or good technique, or vice versa?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Nicely put Janet, short, to the point and right on the money as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
short, to the point and right on the money
that's me :-) (G,D,R)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Kenneth Zink wrote:
So my question is, how can you as Uke take advantage of Nage pushing on you during a technique without turning it into a pushing match?
Pull

Old 01-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
eyrie

Australia

... if you'e doing judo...

When pulled, enter, when pushed... ???

Ignatius
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
raul rodrigo
Philippines

When pushed, turn.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Ken Zink
Dojo: Komyozan Dojo - Boise, ID
United_States

Thank you for the responses, I had been stuck in the mindset that I needed to do something with the push other than aborb and redirect and turn. Gah so simple!