Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Victor Ditoro
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo
Bujin Gi Heresy

I used the word "heresy" because after reading the other Bujin Gi threads I guess I'm the first person to ever be a bit disappointed in the Gi top. Maybe I can be re-educated and see the light.

I ordered the 12 Oz cotton duck Gi top because I had typically been going through a gi set every year or so using the brands I had been wearing and since I wanted to branch out and try something new. ( As an aside, I also ordered a weapons bag from them, which I couldn't be happier with).

When it arrived I was surprised at the following:

1. It was not the "quilted looking cotton" like the Judo Gi tops I had previously used from various manufacturers, not that this matters, just surprised me.

2. I have never had wrinkle problems with gi tops. I always wash, dry, and fold them the same way and even if a wrinkle appeared it would fall out after my sweat begin to work its magic on the material (what would a post be without some unsettling imagery). This top however was an absolute mess of wrinkles, it looked like crumpled aluminum foil. And, after training it only looked worse. I'm not much on the "fashion" side of doing martial arts, but this was downright embarassing.

3. The short sleeves are handy, but the shoulder seams are way down on the bottom of my deltoid, and I have what would be considered wide shoulders. I can only assume that the "shoulder" seam is meant to be at that location since if your shoulder actually went out to the seam it would leave the sleave well above the elbow.

4. It has ties, which I always had in my head were no good since they are likely to get ripped in any resembling grappling of the gi.

5. The material and stiching just 'looked cheap". The seams have little bits of string here and there hanging out something about the overall construction just looks....off.

In fairness, I have used it on the mat a total of 1 times so far, so I need to give it more time but anyone out there care to make a play at telling me what I'm missing?

P.S. If anyone I actually train with or see at seminars reads this, this is not permission to rag me about the gi.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Bujin Gi Heresy

Hi Victor,

Please feel encouraged to leave your review here in the AikiWeb Equipment Reviews section:

http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showp...hp?product=420

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Victor Ditoro

Ah thanks Jun, I will definitely add a review there once I've had more time to get "acquainted" with it. Hate to post something I end up not agreeing with in a month.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

I bought a good pair of dogi pants a few years back. My friend took them and he said they were destroyed after a few years wear. He does wear his clothes very hard due to intense ukemi. I called the company to ask what the life span is supposed to be, and they were very indifferent. the guy I spoke with was in fact, nasty. I could tell he thought I wanted to get something for nothing. I don't know if bujin's changed? I always had the impression customer service was a priority. In all my friend liked the pants very well, he said they were his favorite, until they wore out! My gi top from them finally softened up, but the sleeves are too short for our Sensei's approval, so I can only wear it in the dojo. I can't get over the attitude of the customer service person thought, he really turned me off. I don't feel like buying from them right now.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Maybe you got the "odd" guy, on an off day, after his dog died...etc. etc.
I haves so far been very pleased with them....hakama'a are the best and the gi's aren't the judo type that I like so I have no real basis for an opinion...I have a couple of friends with the gi's though and they like them. (I kind of think they looked funny too)

To date I haven't had any rude folks on the line when I have called and ordered stuff.
(Maybe tomorrow, who know's?)
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Victor Ditoro

Ah well, at least I know I'm not totally alone. Now that it has had another good night of use I think the main thing is that it simply doesn't look the way I expected.

Guess I'll keep a judo top clean and ready to go and alternate the two out.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Heather Randolph wrote:
I can't get over the attitude of the customer service person thought, he really turned me off.
You had a similar experience to mine. Several people in our dojo ordered hakama at the same time. Not a single person was happy with the fit. When I called to ask what could be done I was given the run around and was told to take it somewhere and have it altered.

The weapon bags are still awesome though.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Kevin Wilbanks

The complaints about the gi top sound like they are mostly about the material used. 12 oz duck is a very stiff fabric. I used to like it, because it doesn't glom onto you when wet, but now that Bujin gi come with the coolmax liner on the shoulders it's no longer an issue, which allows me to wear the softer, more comfortable 8.5 oz fabric.

As far as the initial customer service complaint above, I would have dismissed you out of hand too. You called up complaining about a pair of gi pants that wore out after "a few YEARS of wear" doing "intense ukemi"? They aren't magic pants delivered by fairies from an elfin kingdom, they're made of cotton fabric and they come from Boulder via UPS...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
RampantWolf
Dojo: Cork Aiki Dojo
Ireland

Well if I read Heathers post correctly she said she rang the company to ask what the lifespan should be, to me that's a query not a complaint. And the sales person should have politely informed her that a few years of intense ukemi is very good for a pair of gi pants. Still no need to dismiss someone 'out of hand' or be nasty. While their products may be good sounds liek they really need to brush up on their after sales and customer service skills.

Especially since the advent of the internet and forums such as this one you just can't go around ticking off customers, people will find out and your business will suffer.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
Re: Bujin Customer Service

Quote:
Heather Randolph wrote:
I I can't get over the attitude of the customer service person thought (sic), he really turned me off.
I bought my first bujin gi after my 4th kyu test, & instead of a white belt, one of the two inch black belts shipped with it
I called customer service, and was answered by a man with a heavy Japanese accent.
He asked how long I had trained in Aikido, & I told him, " a couple of years."
His response? "Ah, you keep, one day you need it."
I don't know how many Japanese there are working in Ikeda Shihan's company, but I like to think that I got a day when he was just hanging around answering the phones.
I put that obi away in the back of the closet, & now wear it whenever I train... .

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
j0nharris
United_States

I've had a couple of Bujin gis since I ordered my first one, & love the heavier weight tops.
I do have a size issue with the pants, though. I'm just under 5' 4" (163 cm), & whenever we train suwari, the padded area of the pants rides up just over my knee, causing me to stress the stitching more than it was intended, & tearing the lower part of the legs out pretty quickly.
The solution I think would be to make the sized available in short, regular, & tall.
I recently found a gi from a company in China with the quilting running the entire length of the leg, top to bottom. I'll see how long they last.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I was given a heavy weight bujin gi that I cannot even move in as I don't seem to have enough body weight/mass to even make the canvas bend....

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
j0nharris
United_States

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
I was given a heavy weight bujin gi that I cannot even move in as I don't seem to have enough body weight/mass to even make the canvas bend....
What size??

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Bujin Customer Service

Quote:
Jon Harris wrote:
I bought my first bujin gi after my 4th kyu test, & instead of a white belt, one of the two inch black belts shipped with it
I called customer service, and was answered by a man with a heavy Japanese accent.
He asked how long I had trained in Aikido, & I told him, " a couple of years."
His response? "Ah, you keep, one day you need it."
Ha!

Not only customer service but self-esteem service!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/