Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Endemic aikido

Springing off the "in 100 years.." thread.

What would the world be like if aikido was utterly endemic? IE if it were practiced by all sections of the population: school kids, politicians, doctors, lawyers, criminals, etc.

If that's a bit of a stretch of the imagination, how about if it was just as popular as football (soccer)?

Imagine...
Mark
Old 07-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Endemic aikido

If AikiWeb is anything to go by, there would be a lot of colourful discussion going on ad infinitum

I can't imagine that it would be anything but of positive benefit to the world. I've thought for a long time that aikido in all schools would be a healthy addition to the curriculum, particularly if the 'martial' side was played down so to speak (not that I want that to disappear, it could just come in later if neccessary ).

As for football.. if Zidane had learnt aikido he probably wouldn't have got set off in the World Cup final ( mind you as far as butts go it was a pretty good one ), a shame that such a great player went out of his last game like that.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
I've thought for a long time that aikido in all schools would be a healthy addition to the curriculum
me too!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

I'm sure if it was endemic, the non-competitive aspect would be totally out the window.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
I'm sure if it was endemic, the non-competitive aspect would be totally out the window.
that's an interesting thought.
unfortunately, you're probably right.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

If non-competitive traditional aikido was widespread perhaps the need to turn everything into a competition would not be so strong. This could be seen to effect the way relationships are carried out and even the economic system? In this regard I often see aikido as being very anti (or perhaps healing) of the spirit of our times.

Knee doctors would also be held in very high regard ;-)
Old 07-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Jess McDonald
United_States

I have a bad feeling that this type of overexposure or use would not be good at all for aikido. Call me a pessimist but I don't trust the grand public of differentiating the difference between kung fu, ninjas, or aikido when it comes down to technique, history, or most importantly, the philosophy. My prediction: A whole lot of people doing techniques sub-par and frankly, are dangerous. We don't need little kids or teens learning elbow locks at school. Police; fine but I'm sure they aren't thinking of keeping the criminal unhurt during the arrest. As for criminals; my God, O Sensei must be rolling in his grave. That's the last part of society we want practicing aikido. I think only a small percentage will realize what aikido is really about. The rest will see it as just another means to kick someones @$$, nothing more. Plus, who will be doing all this teaching; my gym teacher? Please. This is not a good idea people. Let those that will practice aikido find aikido in the proper settings; dojos, seminars etc. not gym class in high school. Anyhoo, please feel free to rant away at my reply. Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
I have a bad feeling that this type of overexposure or use would not be good at all for aikido. Call me a pessimist but I don't trust the grand public of differentiating the difference between kung fu, ninjas, or aikido when it comes down to technique, history, or most importantly, the philosophy. My prediction: A whole lot of people doing techniques sub-par and frankly, are dangerous. We don't need little kids or teens learning elbow locks at school. Police; fine but I'm sure they aren't thinking of keeping the criminal unhurt during the arrest. As for criminals; my God, O Sensei must be rolling in his grave. That's the last part of society we want practicing aikido. I think only a small percentage will realize what aikido is really about. The rest will see it as just another means to kick someones @$$, nothing more. Plus, who will be doing all this teaching; my gym teacher? Please. This is not a good idea people. Let those that will practice aikido find aikido in the proper settings; dojos, seminars etc. not gym class in high school. Anyhoo, please feel free to rant away at my reply. Thanks!!

i completely agree.
Aikido would mostly likely be gone to pot if it were as mainstream as football or baseball.

And i would be willing to bet that the general public will not focus so much time on a hobby unless they can compete to see who is the best. This is the only way to make something mainstream. The reason football is mainstream is because we can watch it on tv and cheer for our favorite team and make bets and what not. If we couldn't do that with aikido, then it wouldn't keep anyone's attention long enough to become popular.

It's sad but true.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
dps

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
Springing off the "in 100 years.." thread.

What would the world be like if aikido was utterly endemic? IE if it were practiced by all sections of the population: school kids, politicians, doctors, lawyers, criminals, etc.

If that's a bit of a stretch of the imagination, how about if it was just as popular as football (soccer)?

Imagine...
Mark
I think there would be different styles of Aikido; Aikido for the masses, Aikido for the peaceniks, spiritual Aikido, Aikido for the intellectuals (they don't really practice, just talk about it), Aikido for those who want to break bones and make people bleed ,Aikido for healing what ails you, Aikido for practical application, etc.
Political Aikido

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
I think there would be different styles of Aikido; Aikido for the masses, Aikido for the peaceniks, spiritual Aikido, Aikido for the intellectuals (they don't really practice, just talk about it), Aikido for those who want to break bones and make people bleed ,Aikido for healing what ails you, Aikido for practical application, etc.
Political Aikido
Seems pretty much like all the seeds have been sown, some will fall on stoney ground, some will flourish...the intellectuals can discuss the size and colour of thier stones

regards,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Freeman : 07-15-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
dps

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
...the itellectuals can discuss the size and colour of thier stones
and how many.

Go ahead, tread on me.