Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
mouse7000
Dojo: Aikido NW
United_States
Warm-up for knees

I am returning to Aikido after a three year break. I had knee surgery a bit over a year ago for a torn ACL, torn PCL, and other ligament damage. Needless to say I am out of shape and a bit nervous about my return. I know to take the training part slow. I spoke with my sensei about needing to relearn how to roll, pivot, etc over again and may not be able to do swari waza. My ROM is excellent (-10 extension, flexion can get my knee to my butt and a bit more: equal to other knee)and one lession i HAVE learned though PT is to listen to my body. However, does anyone have good suggestions for warm up stretches to get myself ready?
thanks so much
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Charles Cunningham
Dojo: University of Iowa Aikikai, Iowa City, IA
United_States
Re: Warm-up for knees

Wow! I can't get my knee to my butt with intact ligaments--damn femur gets in the way.

I'm not a medical professional, so take the following with a grain of salt and consult with your favorite MD or PT. I might suggest warming up with slow, aikido-relevant range-of-motion exercises, rather than stretches. As I recall, Michael Friedl from Aikido of Ashland put together a DVD a couple years ago with solo katas of aikido movements done at ultraslow speed. He used such katas as part of the warm-up at a couple of his seminars at the University of Iowa. They seemed nice for developing range of motion, stability through motion, and relevant strength.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Re: Warm-up for knees

welcome back michelle.
I strongly recommend that you leave suwariwaza out of your repertoire. with the internal damage yo have sustained, there are no doubt microtears both in your menisci and in your articular cartilage, and suwariwaza will create further friction/wear and tear that you just don't need.
my suggestion is to focus warmup on slow evenly paced gross muscle movement (like range of motion), which is a true 'warm up' for the muscles and once warmed up do very gentle stretching; save the real stretching for after class. what charles describes is pretty typical for dojos that came from a ki society/tohei background: warmups that are slow repetitive versions of the footwork and turning we do in our common techniques (for instance, stepping into ikkyo, pivoting into kokyunage, sliding laterally into sokumen iriminage, etc). i agree that these are a good and safe warmup.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield