Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2001, 07:42 AM   #1
Ta Kung
Question staff spinning

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a good site for "staff spinning"? I recently saw a person on a exhibition spinning a staff. It was fab! Now all I need is a few pointers and hints, perhaps there is a site where you can download shoty "instructional" video clips. The ones I've found are way too fast to learn anything from...
Old 07-19-2001, 08:14 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: staff spinning

Quote:
Originally posted by Ta Kung
Now all I need is a few pointers and hints,
I love your positive attitude. You could try http://www.fej.ch/ but I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for.

andrew
Old 07-19-2001, 08:23 AM   #3
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down Re: staff spinning

Quote:
Hi!

Can anyone recommend a good site for "staff spinning"? I recently saw a person on a exhibition spinning a staff. It was fab! Now all I need is a few pointers and hints, perhaps there is a site where you can download shoty "instructional" video clips. The ones I've found are way too fast to learn anything from...
Hi Patrik!

....there's a great video out that touches on this as a warm up exercise for the jo. It's Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei's 'BUKI' tape. You can get it at: http://www.bujindesign.com

Regards,

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 07-19-2001 at 08:25 AM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 07-19-2001, 08:28 AM   #4
Ta Kung
Thanks for your reply, Andrew. However, I did not find any videoclips and the page was in some language that didnt quite cooperate with my brain for some reason... Makes me think about Homer Simpson, when he was trying to make his own bbq grill (he accedently destroyes the english instructions and is forced to try the French version; "La Grille, what the heck is a "La Grill!"".)

Regards,

Patrik
Old 07-19-2001, 08:33 AM   #5
Ta Kung
Hi Brian! Thanks for the tip. Perfect timing aswell, as it'll be payday in less then a week (wich means buy, buy, buy!!)

I liked the .mpegs, I think I'll give it a try. Do you own the video?

Thanks again,

Patrik
Old 07-19-2001, 09:15 AM   #6
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Andrew. However, I did not find any videoclips and the page was in some language that didnt quite cooperate with my brain for some reason... Makes me think about Homer Simpson, when he was trying to make his own bbq grill (he accedently destroyes the english instructions and is forced to try the French version; "La Grille, what the heck is a "La Grill!"".)

Regards,

Patrik
There's an english section there somewhere! It's the European Jo federation page, I thought you might find some seminars or a teacher of jodo who you might be able to correspond with. There's an address in Sweden, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be useful... It even tells you this:

"Note - As United Kingdom is not (yet) part of the FEJ,
the English version of this site has been prepared and is maintained by non-native speakers.
You may find some strange words, sentences and expressions.
In advance, we thank you for your understanding"

andrew
Old 07-19-2001, 09:17 AM   #7
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Hi Brian! Thanks for the tip. Perfect timing aswell, as it'll be payday in less then a week (wich means buy, buy, buy!!)

I liked the .mpegs, I think I'll give it a try. Do you own the video?

Thanks again,

Patrik
...Yes, I do own it! It is truly excellant! In fact, I own most of Ikeda Sensei's videos, and they are all simply the best tapes available.

Buki is the one I watch most often, picking up helpful weapons training hints that you just can't find anywhere else!

Good luck with your weapons training!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"